This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naming Your Path

There are a good handful of us here that have eclectic or mixed paths. It got me thinking: Has anyone in this category tried to, or thought about, come up with a name or term for your path (or even stolen an old one)? I know there is a member on the board that calls herself a totalist (I apologize, but I'm blanking on your username) because her friend described her as being such and it really fit her.

If someone described their path with a word you'd never heard before and you found out that they invented it themselves, what would your reaction be? Interested? Or would you roll your eyes? I know that new paths are being forged all the time, but would you be accepting of one that only applied to one person?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Re: Naming Your Path

Sometimes I feel Gnostic. Sometimes I feel Pagan. Sometimes I feel Left Hand Path. Sometimes I feel Right Hand Path.

Eh... Archetypist? Archetypal Non-dualism?
    There once was a man who said though,
    It seems that I know that I know,
    What I'd like to see,
    Is the I that knows me,
    When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

I enjoy insanity but if I avoid referencing 40k and other mildly psychotic systems long enough, I can pull a decent Jedi.

Seriously, naming my path invites questions, assumptions, comparisons or strange mixes of the aforementioned. I generally don't want such things and therefore pick descriptors that entertain me rather than inform anyone else.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I think I'm of two minds on it, myself. On the one hand, having a specific name to categorically identify my specific type of spirituality or world view (As I oft times avoid the word religion.) would make it easier for those that could or would recognize the name. On the other hand, does the name of it really matter? I mean, not that any old name can fit. As I've mentioned, here and there, I believe many things and follow a great deal of criteria that are path-specific... and I've not honored or respected those paths by staying true to them. On that same note, I don't cotton to the word eclectic, too well, in terms of spiritual or religious beliefs. In my mind, even those that are strict adherents to a very well-defined path are Eclectics because of how they personally understand their path to glory, so to speak.

No, when it comes down to it, I'll stick with a meaningless name like 'Paganism' and force people to ask for clarification, if they so choose to be interested, or just flat out disregard me for my heresy. Seriously, I am not simply what it is that I believe. There's more to me than that.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I have to agree with Chain mostly...plus it seems a bit pretentious to me.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't judge someone for inventing a name for their path any more than I'd judge them for naming a painting, poem, novel or anything else they created themselves. I believe there is power in a name, even if only in a psychological way. It can make something seem more 'real' for some people. For others, a name makes something more accessable. When I see a plant I've never seen before, I like to find out what it is called. I do the same with birds too and have various wildflower, tree, butterfly and bird guides dotted about the place. Knowing the names makes me feel more connected to my local wildlife, even though the name is meaningless really. So... Yeah, for some people, I can totally understand why they would want to name their path.

While studying Egyptian magic, I was told that knowing the true name of someone or something, gave one power over the one the name belongs to (a theme that pops up in a few different tales in which a god will be tricked into revealing their name to another). Although I am not Kemetic now, I am a real lover of linguistics, so like to hold onto the belief that there is real power in words.

It's yours, you worked hard to create your own path, so I say if you wish to give it a title, then why ever not?

I would only find it pretentious if they were claiming to be the founding member of a new tradition and plugging themselves as an authority. Then again, pagans without a name for their path are just as capable of such ego trips!
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Maybe I should clarify the part that I find pretentious...its not the naming of one's personal path, but the idea of insisting that the name of one's personal path is an established tradition. I was very specifically thinking of a guy I had known while I was in the military, that went around telling people he was *something* (for the life of me, I couldn't remember the name of it), and was the HP of said tradition, etc. I think lots of people probably have personal names for their paths (I do), but when they tell someone what religion they are, most of them don't use that.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Hmm, wonder if I can manufacture any sufficiently entertaining titles to bestow on myself. It's been years since I got to toy with useless titles. I may have to use something other than Jedi or Insane just so I can start making crazy titles. That actually sounds like fun...

Err, what, you're telling me that people use eclecticism as an excuse to give themselves ranks and actually expect those ranks to be taken seriously?!! Here, I thought I was a crackpot.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Yeah that's my feeling too Thal. I've also had the entertaining experience of meeting a Third Degree Elder of a tradition she made up. Thing is, she joined a moot I ran, a year earlier and said she'd been interested in paganism just a few months. A year on, she was claiming to have been Wiccan for three years! She told initiates that a respected Alexandrian witch was going to initiate her so the coven would have lineage (I'd known this lady for years and she confirmed to me that she never agreed anything like that and never would). She also initiated a girl who our coven had turned down on the basis of having serious mental health issues that needed professional support before it would be safe to take part in our training. I can't say that this coven was the cause, but this girl's mental health took a turn for the worse not long after being initiated. Oh and there was a HPS I met who's entire coven was made up of underaged teenagers who's parents didn't know. That was kinda creepy. Ego trips can be downright dangerous and destroy a seeker's spiritual experience.
                  夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

That founding member or HP of said manufactured-name tradition turns me off. It harkens back to those Special Dark Snowflakes™ that I am forever careful not to be confused with.

I am not a High Priest, though in one sense I have done all that is necessary to become one. I am not a founding member of any new religions, even though I'd be hard pressed to find an established religion even close to encompassing my beliefs. I am not a Medicine Man, a Shaman, a Warrior or a Bard - even though my actions, education and belongings all indicate otherwise.

To my way of thinking, I cannot claim to be an Asatruar, or even Heathen (which is, actually, more accurate), when I do not follow the entire dogma, established precepts, or even specific traditions that would qualify me for that name. It would dishonour, greatly, the respect I have for others' beliefs to butcher a simple classification. The same can be said of any Celtic-derived or Native American-based system of beliefs, going all the way back to and including recons from ANY Euro-American indigenous religions. I wouldn't/couldn't do them justice by saying that what I believe is PART of those traditions.

THAT is where I feel it becomes pretentious (for me) to claim some sort of personal, enlightened elitism in regard to MY take on some other world view.

Yeah, okay. I'm a Thirty-Ninth Degree High Priest of the Wiccan-Ojibwe/Lakota Asatru Druids, incorporating both Mediterranean and Asian influences with an early, North African flair!

While it describes, in detail, some of the sources that I have stolen my truth(s) from, it is utter and complete nonsense. It says NOTHING of the specifics, gives no clue as to my comparable, 'common knowledge' and understanding of WHAT I BELIEVE that anyone else could relate to. Thereby leaving them even more confused than had I said "Flarmgh, of Chain". Hell, I could say I'm GOD, according to my beliefs, and nobody could contradict me.

Yup, that's where it falls apart for me. The assigning of MY authority over anyone and everyone else, regardless of their beliefs, that my world view is somehow superior to all others, before mine. I'm a realist. As much as I know that I'm right, in my beliefs, I also know that other religions believe the same thing - that they are the way, the truth and the REAL path to the finish line.

Sorry, I kind of went off on a rambling tirade, there. Hmm. I must be about due for a rant, somewhere.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I've been quiet so far because I was interested to see what everyone's opinion is, not to argue for either side. However, I do agree that calling yourself the Great Holy....Eyeball (or whatever) of your own made-up path is crazy, and strikes me a bit cultish. And I do mean "cult" in the more negative sense here. Now, maybe if I find myself unemployed, I'll start a crazy cult just to amuse myself until I find another job, and I'll call myself the Great Holy Eyeball of the Order of the Cyclops. Until then, it's pretentious as hell.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      Maybe I should clarify the part that I find pretentious...its not the naming of one's personal path, but the idea of insisting that the name of one's personal path is an established tradition. I was very specifically thinking of a guy I had known while I was in the military, that went around telling people he was *something* (for the life of me, I couldn't remember the name of it), and was the HP of said tradition, etc. I think lots of people probably have personal names for their paths (I do), but when they tell someone what religion they are, most of them don't use that.
                      Well said. I do have a term that I call myself, privately, but I would never introduce myself as such. Mostly because it'd be more confusing that "eclectic pagan"!. I might use the term if I'm further explaining my beliefs to someone, but not further than that.
                      Last edited by habbalah; 16 Feb 2012, 04:20.
                      Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                      X