Need Knowledge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Knowledge

I am a recently converted celtic pagan, and i aim to be a dedicated one at that, i was wondering if one of my brothers and sisters out there could incite me on the history of our culture and some of our traditions, i know the absics but i am urging to know more

Re: Need Knowledge

I could give you my own views, but they're not authorative. I'm afraid you'll find that there isn't much hard evidence on which to draw such information. Even the reconstructionists can't agree on many subjects. It's really a matter of looking at what there is (inscriptions, Roman reports, and surviving myths/legends), and considering what seems most logical in your opinion. Having said that, I've been exploring a Celtic inspired path for a little while now (long story), so would gladly give you my own take on things if that would help. Is there anything specific you'd like to know?
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

i know the basic things, such as gods and the spirits and things, i have been reading some of th ereconstructionist things you posted on another thread but i would lllove to know about the path you are on, and i want to know everything haha, trying to grasp as much as i can

Comment

I'm not really on a specific path though. I'd been Wiccan for about 14 years, when I rubbed shoulders with some of the organisers of an annual Beltane celebration at Thornborough Henge ( http://www.celebratebeltane.co.uk/ ). The celebration was in honour of Brigantia and although I'd heard of her before (she's hard to miss), this time, I felt a real affinity towards her.

I began to explore other local Celtic deities and was delighted to discover that even the river that runs past my home town, has a deity associated with it.

While I was still in this transition phase (I'd previously worked with the Neteru of Ancient Egypt), I moved to Bavaria, Germany. While there, I was blown away by the Alps and really felt something powerful and primal inside me. I later discovered there is actually evidence that the Brigantes people, who brought Brigantia to England, may have originated in a region in the Alps and that her name might share the same root as the German word for mountain Berg.

Unfortunately, I had a terrible time after that. I'd been involved romantically with a German guy who turned out to be quite emotionally abusive. I lost my faith (and pretty much my entire identity) and left my exploration behind.

Luckily, last year, I met my current partner and although he has no interest in religion (not even enough to consider himself an atheist), he encouraged me to be myself again. Little by little, I came back to myself (something I am STILL in the process of), and so came back to Paganism and of course, these local deities.

I sometimes feel that Brigantia encouraged me to reject my old beliefs so I could rediscover them from a new angle. This is what I am currently doing.

So.. really, that is it. The Celtic gods came bursting into my life and now, here I am, doing what I can to build a working relationship with them. Some of what I believe is from what I believe to be direct contact with Them, while other things are what I have gleened from either reconstruction or directly from the shards of evidence I've managed to piece together.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Glad to know your faith is being restored, will tr and get myself on a specific path.

Comment

When you say you are looking for a specific path, is it set rituals and beliefs you're looking for? I mean, do you want to be 'taught' how to practice your path? If so, you could look into the various forms of Druidism, maybe explore the Anderson-feri family of paths or even look into the many, many paths calling themselves Celtic Wicca. A lot of people are suspicious of various types of Wicca, but so long as you use common sense, there are some really good covens. Just be wary of those who claim to be an ancient unbroken tradition and suchlike. Any of the above would supply you with a training framework which I think might be what you seek. You might later wish to branch out on your own and that's fine too.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you instructions, but there really isn't one single Celtic path, any more than there was one single Celtic religion. I hope you find what you are looking for though and I'm always happy to discuss ideas when/if you wish to!

Comment

I do have certain connection to the celtic,My Grandfather who came from France to Canada to homestead in Calgary,came from a section of France where the Gaul lived. I checked around,genealogy sites,and did a lot of digging. I found out that my Grandfather could trace his linage all the way back to the Gaul's They were a celtic tribe of some very great warriors. The Romans tried invading several times,but were pushed back repeatedly. The Romans did finally defeat Gaul,but with great losses.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                When you say you are looking for a specific path, is it set rituals and beliefs you're looking for? I mean, do you want to be 'taught' how to practice your path? If so, you could look into the various forms of Druidism, maybe explore the Anderson-feri family of paths or even look into the many, many paths calling themselves Celtic Wicca. A lot of people are suspicious of various types of Wicca, but so long as you use common sense, there are some really good covens. Just be wary of those who claim to be an ancient unbroken tradition and suchlike. Any of the above would supply you with a training framework which I think might be what you seek. You might later wish to branch out on your own and that's fine too.

I'm sorry I wasn't able to give you instructions, but there really isn't one single Celtic path, any more than there was one single Celtic religion. I hope you find what you are looking for though and I'm always happy to discuss ideas when/if you wish to!
                Thanks, i want to go along one of the wiccan paths and be taught how to practise one of these paths, if you could suplly me with something i would be very grateful :P

Comment

Well, there's nothing I know well enough to recommend off the top of my head, but I'm going to take a break from exploring recon and see what the various forms of Celtic Wicca/Witta have to offer. If I see anything that seems quite sound, I'll pass on a link. Whatever you find, I'd suggest taking a little time to read up and maybe practice alone before joining any groups. I say this only because joining a bad group/coven can be really damaging to your spiritual experience so it's always worth taking ones time.

Comment

Originally posted by ollieboy127 View Post
                    Thanks, i want to go along one of the wiccan paths and be taught how to practise one of these paths, if you could suplly me with something i would be very grateful :P

GAIADIANNE:

Hi and Merry Meet, Ollieboy --

I don't know whether this is what you're looking for, but i thought I'd let you know that I'm a High Priestess and I do offer a (self-paced, Internet) "Wicca 101" Class. This is a class based on "Traditional" Wicca, not "Solitary-Eclectic" Paganism. If you'll email me ( <E-mail removed by staff for security purposes> ) I'll be happy to send you the Class Info and OUtline, as well as my "credentials" as a High Priestess and Teacher. Class Evaluations from previous students are also available.

Blessed Be - GaiaDianne
                    Last edited by Juniper; 23 Apr 2012, 16:46. Reason: e-mail removed

Comment

Working...
                    X