Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Deanic faith and the Aristasian movement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Deanic faith and the Aristasian movement.

Anyone heard of either of these?

As I said in my last post, the tradition that I was helping to found had two founders that came from the Deanic tradition. Apparently, there is a strong bond between the Deanic faith and Aristasian tradition. I had never heard of either of these two.

The Deanic tradition is an all-female sort of spirituality. Both men and women are called 'maids' and God is only female. They have their own little set of sacred writings that were apparently written around 30 years ago. They've basically taken the Wiccan Wheel of the Year and combined it with the Christian Wheel of the Year, changed the gender of all parties involved to female, and blamed everything they've changed on The Patriarchy™. They seem to draw from all sorts of ancient goddess traditions, from Shaktism to the Eleusinian Mysteries while also co-opting standard holidays and traditions from The Patiarchal™ religions (whom they say actually turned their original goddess traditions into male-oriented god traditions).

Aristasia is apparently a movement, or as they say, an invisible nation of women that hate The Patriarchy™ so much, they wish that society and the Earth were populated only by women.

As a male representative, and apparent de facto member of The Patriarchy™, I would like to announce that, as misogynist as my sex can be and as belligerent as the Church Fathers and others have been to women down the years, never in my life have I ever heard men as a whole wish that all women would just VANISH.

The Deanic faith, I can sort of understand, to a point. It's Wheel of the Year is lovely and I think with a little tweaking, it could be something I'd like. I'd have to make it more balanced and male-friendly.

I've never seen such hyper-feminism. This sort of thing reinforces my belief that those who complain about The Patriarchy™, only to turn around and do the same thing to men in reverse, are as guilty as the anti-female extremism of the early Church Fathers. In my opinion, Z Budapest and Tertullian are two sides of the same coin.

Here are the sites for your viewing enjoyment:

The Deanic tradition (note that this site is extensive. Here's a site map for you.)

The Aristasia Movement

Here's an interview between the Deanic tradition and the Aristasian movement.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by GabrielWithoutWings; 14 Apr 2012, 22:09. Reason: Tidying up grammar.
    There once was a man who said though,
    It seems that I know that I know,
    What I'd like to see,
    Is the I that knows me,
    When I know that I know that I know.

Re: The Deanic faith and the Aristasian movement.

Originally posted by GabrielWithoutWings View Post

Thoughts?

I should probably try and come up with a more detailed comment on the two and depending on their degree of sanity, the above may not apply to Deanics but regarding the Aristasian tradition, my feelings are expressed by the pic.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

For you Pagan-folk in particular, here's a couple of relevant pages for you all to peruse:

What's Wrong With Wicca?

Pagan Goddess?

The Myth of the Myth of Matriarchy

The Wicca page in particular makes me want to stab myself in the face. Quotes like these:

Now please understand that we are not advocates of Christianity or Islam or any other patriarchal religion. We do recognize that they worship God in a valid (if patriarchal) form.
      We also happily recognize that some Wiccans, New Age practitioners and Neopagans worship God validly and purely.
      You hear that Wiccans? Some of you pass the Test of Purity™. But some of you are naughty and do not.
      Last edited by GabrielWithoutWings; 14 Apr 2012, 20:51. Reason: Corrected spelling errors
      What I'd like to see,
      Is the I that knows me,

Comment

Oh no.. I've been living a lie!!

Seriously, while I've nothing against feminism (okay, I have a few issues with hard feminism, but that's for another thread that I'd probably run from, if it existed), but I'm a bit uncomfortable with the idea of making political views into a religion. This to me just seems so removed from the core spirituality behind Wicca, that has been a huge influence behind my current beliefs, (you know, all that 'sex/gender are sacred' stuff), that it makes me uncomfortable. Even though I don't consider myself Wiccan these days, I still have a soft spot for Wicca and these faiths just make me uncomfortable. If it works for some folk, then great for them, but.. I plan to keep my distance.

EDIT: just read over that. Want to clarify that I'm not accusing these paths of trying to be Wiccan. Just that it's too far from what I believe, for me to get my head around. Sometimes I ramble way too much.
        Last edited by Jembru; 14 Apr 2012, 20:55.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

ignore please, original comment no longer relevant
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Now look at the mess I've made of this thread! I really must learn to type faster. In hind sight, I should have just cut my 'edit' and written it as a reply to MaskedOne once I saw his post. Ah well. Sorry.
            Last edited by Jembru; 14 Apr 2012, 21:20.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

prior post modded

Comment

Damn, now I have to change mine! Lol at synchonised posting! I blame patriarchy!

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  Damn, now I have to change mine! Lol at synchonised posting! I blame patriarchy!
                  That's OK, I'll just blame Ziltoid. Seriously, I think the pic I always use is very apt at describing what I'm seeing with these ideas of the faiths...
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                  surrounded by plush, downy things,
                  ill prepared, but willing,
                  to descend."

Comment

Last edited by Ophidia; 15 Apr 2012, 01:38. Reason: lost a word
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

'Deanic,' as in Dea (Latin, God, Feminine) as opposed to Deus (Latin, God, Masculine).
                      What I'd like to see,
                      Is the I that knows me,

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                        That's OK, I'll just blame Ziltoid. Seriously, I think the pic I always use is very apt at describing what I'm seeing with these ideas of the faiths...
                        Yeah, considering that the Aristasian fantasy universe removes all men just to divide women into two separate genders (don't ask, just don't), I'm thinking that my 'Double Facepalm' might not be strong enough. I'm finding that mildly disturbing actually.
                        Last edited by MaskedOne; 15 Apr 2012, 07:22.

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielWithoutWings View Post
                          Thoughts?
                          I've heard of this group/movement, and to be honest, sometimes I can't decide whether they're being serious or not, and they seem to have a rather essentialist view of gender (I find the use of the term "feminine" in this context just as problematic as I would in a non-Deanic context) and every faith that isn't Deanic is automatically "secular humanism".

I suppose people who are already attracted to a goddess-only tradition might get something useful out of this, but to my mind it sounds like it would make an awesome science fiction novel. (Actually, I believe they have actually published some novels in addition to non-fiction through Sun Daughter press.)

Have you also seen their Femmekin site? http://otherkin.wordpress.com/ They're basically like Otherkin, only from these all-feminine races.

Comment

You know, MaskedOne, I wrote a short story in my fiction class where the world was only women and had something along that vein. It was kinda funny because it still dealt with the issues that women deal with now to illustrate that "a world without men" won't remove certain ideas and prejudices.
                            my etsy store
                            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                            surrounded by plush, downy things,
                            ill prepared, but willing,
                            to descend."

Comment

I read the site,and the "Blonde" and the "Brunette" gender thing kinda threw me,and also the thing that bothers me is the D&S part.

BTW Caelia good to see you on,the storms hitting your area had me worrying.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X