The fae (or faires)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fae (or faires)

Hope you guys had a great weekend. So since beltane is coming up, I had a thought. This is also a time when the veil between the worlds becomes thin, (just like at samhain, also its across from eachother on the wheel of the year) I thought this would be a good time to start a relationship with the fae. I set up an altar to the fae too, but thats besides the point :P I was wondering if any of you have had stories about the fae? Or experiences you have had, or anythying related. It would be cool to see other peoples views, experiences, and knowledge on this topic.

I have two stories I am going to share. The first one is what I call "Party Night With The Fae" 1 year ago I set up a little village/altar to the fae in my room. I left honey, and other offerings. Before I went to bed I said "I give this as an offering to you faires, you may also go inside the little homes I made for you" Yes I got a bird house, glued moss to it, and made a little home :$. I went to sleep that night. In the morning and when the sun rose, I looked to my left and saw something different. One of the fae houses I made were gone. I freaked and had a bird. The house was almost half way at the other end of the room, I smiled. I heard a voice in my head that said "party" So I thought "wow they must have had some party last night." Now it was next to my bed, and I thought I might have stretched and knocked it over. So I went back into my bED and strecthed far as I could. It was no where near the house that fell. SO I did another experiment. I hit the house to simluate when I knocked it over However when I did this it knocked over and didnt land anywhere in the spot of whre it landed. So I thought, okay there is no way in heck I could have knocked this over, so I approved this to be a message from the fae. I then got scared and took down the altar. But today I setup another one simular to it

Another story I had was when I bought the fairy oracle deck by Doreen Virtue. I was in chapters coming back from a movie, and I went to the new age section. So I was in the book section then my eyes laid hands on the fairy deck. My heart pounded and a voice in my head said. "Get it" so the next day I got money and bought it. The night I brought the deck home, my dog started sniffing it. I thought "okay its a new packaging so shes just smelling the package". Then as I start shuffling and getting to know the card, my dog looked in mid air. You know when a dog looks at a house fly and follows it ,well thats what she did. However there was no fly, not even a fruit fly. She did this for 10 minutes. Then she starts looking at this object randomly. It was the corner of a dresser and my dog stared at it. Then she started to lick the dresser. My dog has never acted like this ever. So I did account this as another fae encounter, because there was no flies, plus it was winter. So ya these are my stories

what are your experiences, stories, or views on the fae/fairy, It would sound delightful to hear them. Blessed be

Re: The fae (or faires)

Hello and Merry Meet --

There is so much bad information circulating (even in books) that i thought perhaps someone might appreciate a good Resource List on the Fae (compiled by Rowan Moonstone) --

The absolute best book I've seen lately is Eddie Lenihan's "Meeting the Other
    Crowd". LEnihan is an Irish storyteller who deals a lot with the Irish Fairy
    Faith and the Fae. I've met him and he's a delight. And his book is very no
    nonesense. Other good resources are:

BRIGGS, KATHERINE; "Abbey Lubbers, Banshees, & Boggarts", Pantheon 1979

Encyclopedia of British Faerie Folk and legends.

BRIGGS, KATHERINE, "The Fairies in English Tradition and Literature", Bellew
    Publishing, 1967, ISBN 0-947792-18-X

CURRAN, BOB, "The Creatures of Celtic Myth", Cassell & Co., 2000, ISBN
    0-304-35898-3

CURREN, BOB, "A Field Guide to Irish Fairies", Chronicle Books, 1998. ISBN
    0-8118-2276-1

EVANS-WENTZ, W. Y.; "The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries", University Books
    1966/1994 ISBN 0-8065-1160-5*** Very good work on the fairy beliefs of Ireland,
    Scotland, Wales, Brittany, the Isle of Man and Cornwall. In depth look at Celtic
    pagan theology and philosophy. A must for any serious Celtic student.

FROUD, BRIAN & ALAN LEE; "Faeries", Harry M. Abrams 1978 ISBN 0-8109-0901-4
    Fairy legends from the British Isles. Beautifully illustrated.

GREGORY, LADY AUGUSTA; "Visions and Beliefs in The West of Ireland", Colin
    Smythe 1920/1979 ISBN 0-901072-36-2 Very similar to Evans-Wentz's Fairy Faith
    in Celtic Countries. Collections of folklore gathered in The early 20th century.

KEIGHTLY, THOMAS; "The World Guide to Gnomes, Fairies, Elves, and Other Little
    People", Avenel Press 1978, ISBN 0-517-26313-0

LANG, ANDREW, ed. "The Blue Fairy Book," Longman's Green and Company, Ltd.,
    1949, No ISBN

LANG, ANDREW, ed., "The Lilac Fairy Book" Dover Publications, 1910/1938/1968
    ISBN 0-486-21907-0

LANG, ANDREW, ed., "The Orange Fairy Book," Dover Publications, Inc. 1906/1968,
    ISBN 486-2190907

LANG, ANDREW,ed. "The Pink Fairy Book," Dover Publications, Inc., 1897/1967 ISBN
    486-21792-2

LANG, ANDREW, ed. "The Violet Fairy Book," Dover Publications, Inc. 1901/1966,
    ISBN 486-21675-6

macLIAMMOIR, MICHEAL; "Faery Nights" Lucky Tree Books, The O'Brien Press
    1922/1984 ISBN0-86278-133-7

MACMANUS, DERMOT; "The Middle Kingdom, The Fairy World of Ireland" Colin Smythe
    Ltd. 1959/1973 ISBN0-900675-82-9

SPENCE, LEWIS; "British Fairy Origins", Aquarian Press 1946/1918, ISBN
    0-85030-262-5 Examines The fairy faith from a scholarly viewpoint and tries to
    determine its roots. One of The finest of writers on The Celtic culture.

STEWART, R. J.; "The Living World of Faery", Mercury Publishing 1999 ISBN
    1-892137-09-7 ( I have taken classes from R. J. and he's an excellent
    resource).

TREGARTHEN, ENYS, "Pixie Folklore and Legends", Gramercy Books, 1995, ISBN
    0-517-14903-6

VAN GELDER, DORA, "The Real World of Fairies: A First-Person Account: with a new
    forward by Celtic folklore expert, Caitlin Matthews, Quest Books, 1977, 1999,
    ISBN 0-8356-0779-8

WHITE, CAROLYN; "A History of Irish Fairies", Mercier Press 1976 *** Short Book
    of facts about Irish faeries

WOOD-MARTIN, W. G.; "Traces of The Elder Faiths of Ireland, Vols 1 & 2",
    Kennicat Pub. 1902/1970 *** Chapters deal mainly with The archaeological
    evidence of early man in Ireland. Some chapter space devoted to Patrick, The
    dead, and The Gods, Goddesses, Ghosts and Goblns.

WEBSITES:

For websites I'd suggest the Endicott Studios site. It's Terry Windling and
    Ellen Datlow's site and it's packeed with information.

VIDEOS:

1. "the Fairy Faith" - Available through Netflix, and the Film Board of Canada -websites devoted to it can be found here:

2. Several years ago, the BBC-TV network psy-fi series "Torchwood" did a very good episode on the Fae, titled, "Small Worlds" -
    See https://www.google.com/search?q=Torc...client=firefox

Another video is part of a series on "Legends of the Isles" that PBS did. It's called
    Fairies and should be available still. That one is only available in VHS as far
    as I know.

IMPORTANT NOTE AND CAUTION:

Be cautious dealing with the Fae. They may appear human when
    they choose, but their energies and motivations are anything BUT. The stories
    in Lenihan's books are enough to curl your hair. Be VERY Cautious.

One of the most frightening things I ever saw was a book written for teens with a spell to
    find your Fairy lover! YIPES Those folks obviously haven't read the legends.
    Most who do end up with a fairy lover are either insane or dead at the end of
    the relationship. Be CAREFUL!

I hope that's helpful -- Blessed Be ~ GaiaDianne

Comment

Working...
    X