Devotional Work in Paganism(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devotional Work in Paganism(s)

By request, I thought I'd start a thread discussing devotional work. I think it's unfortunate that there isn't a whole lot of literature on this subject, even though publishers like Asphodel Press and Bibliotheca Alexandrina are currently publishing devotionals dedicated to certain god/desses.

For those of you who are wondering what I'm talking about when I sat "devotional work", this post gives a good explanation: http://onewitchsway.com/2011/10/work...devotionals-2/

The funny thing is that I expect many of us already do activities that are considered "devotional" and yet, we don't seem to talk a whole lot about this sort of work. I think this is a shame, because there are some simple (and beautiful) ways to express one's love for the gods without having to put on a ritual with all the bells and whistles (unless you want to). I personally think Adorations (started by Sannion and spreading like wildfire) are beautiful and a fine way to introduce someone to a devotional practice, but for some, it really isn't their thing. I can understand, for instance, how they might appeal more to a hard polytheist than a soft polytheist. At first, I was skeptical because this sort of devotion really reminded me of the kinds of prayers I used to pray as a Catholic, but I think if you're looking for a use for prayer beads or as a focus for meditation, adorations could help.

I don't know if any of that made sense. I tend to think of devotional work as a way of saying "I love you," to the gods.

How about you?

Re: Devotional Work in Paganism(s)

As a Kemetic Recon there's already a devotional with daily ritual. Daily ritual is actually pretty vital to the practice, and if one tries to practice as they did in the temple includes adorations. The way I see it at this point in time devotional in the sense you want doesn't necessarily translate over to all the Pagan religions at this point in time.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

I don't know enough about other paths to know for sure, but purely from observation, I'd expect to find that there are more pagans who DON'T do daily devotionals, than there are who do. I personally like to, but I don't know how much of this is because I was taught that's what I should do, so now it feels 'wrong' not to, and how much is because it genuinely uplifts me to sit down and speak to my deities.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I go for a generically Pagan sort of Lectio Divinia...not every day (but I've considered compiling one, or trying to), but at least once a week or so.

(feels a blog post coming on...)
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          I go for a generically Pagan sort of Lectio Divinia...not every day (but I've considered compiling one, or trying to), but at least once a week or so.

(feels a blog post coming on...)
          What do you read, in this case? I imagine it isn't the Bible.

Mostly art.

Comment

I guess I've just never considered devotions or devotional service to be a separate part of my spiritual practices. I know a lot of focus on witchcraft and magical practices is directed at practical actions, but for me that's the line between 'witchcraft' and 'religion'.

I don't do it daily, but when I pray to Luna, it's more devotional praise or adoration than asking for stuff. Part of my worship of Persephone and Hades was 'death advocacy', which meant spread the word that there are 'healthier' alternatives to the modern practice of embalming and cemetery burial, along with advocacy of hospice care and death with dignity, and I always did that research, advisory and counseling work as devotional service.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Lokabrenna View Post
              By request, I thought I'd start a thread discussing devotional work. I think it's unfortunate that there isn't a whole lot of literature on this subject, even though publishers like Asphodel Press and Bibliotheca Alexandrina are currently publishing devotionals dedicated to certain god/desses.

For those of you who are wondering what I'm talking about when I sat "devotional work", this post gives a good explanation: http://onewitchsway.com/2011/10/work...devotionals-2/

The funny thing is that I expect many of us already do activities that are considered "devotional" and yet, we don't seem to talk a whole lot about this sort of work. I think this is a shame, because there are some simple (and beautiful) ways to express one's love for the gods without having to put on a ritual with all the bells and whistles (unless you want to). I personally think Adorations (started by Sannion and spreading like wildfire) are beautiful and a fine way to introduce someone to a devotional practice, but for some, it really isn't their thing. I can understand, for instance, how they might appeal more to a hard polytheist than a soft polytheist. At first, I was skeptical because this sort of devotion really reminded me of the kinds of prayers I used to pray as a Catholic, but I think if you're looking for a use for prayer beads or as a focus for meditation, adorations could help.

I don't know if any of that made sense. I tend to think of devotional work as a way of saying "I love you," to the gods.

How about you?
              Thanks for the heads-up on this. I've been wanting to do something like this regarding my own beliefs for a bit and these give me some good ideas.
              There once was a man who said though,
              It seems that I know that I know,
              What I'd like to see,
              Is the I that knows me,
              When I know that I know that I know.

Comment

Hi Loka! I first learned about devotions and devotionals when I was forced to pray along in my family's rosary prayer groups. It was more meaningful for me when I chose to pray the rosary. Much, much much later I started making personal rosaries for myself: one to Mary in her role as Lady of Guadalupe, another to Uriel.

It took me longer to be comfortable using my own prayers, but I am getting there. I scan through tons of devotional prayers books and online sites. Making prayer beads for a deity seems to help me make a connection with them, using a combination of their corresponding symbols/colors/animals/themes and using gut feelings when at the bead stores. Right now, I am trying to get to know more about Anat, Athirat and Ashtart (Canaanite goddesses), so am putting the beads and the prayers together to get to know them.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  What do you read, in this case? I imagine it isn't the Bible.
                  Sometimes it actually is...like Ecclesiastes 3:1 (the everything is a season verse), or some of the bits in Corinthians, or the Song of Songs... More often though, its not. I collect stuff--poetry, quotes, song lyrics, mythology etc in a sort of scrapbook and use those. Like these poems by Mary Oliver, or this one by Rudyard Kipling, or this song by Sara Tomsen...really whatever I find interesting on a soul-level. Sometimes I'll even collect a bunch of pieces of stuff and put them together and see what comes out in the meditative and contemplation stages, like this. It might even be a picture, rather than something to read.

I'm a bit more free with my interpretation, though the description here (minus the Christian trappings) is pretty apt for the process itself...I guess if I were to re-write/re-name it, it would be something more like...
                  Lectio--Read/watch/listen (basically a sort of non-judgemental/judgement reserved intake of the material)
                  Meditato--meditation on the message (or messages) and how they fit as an expression of Divinity, Humanity or the cosmos (or not)
                  Oratio--which is your own active expression of the message (it could be getting off your rear and dancing, singing, painting, writing, etc, in additional to the conventional prayers) that you received (which may or may not be true to the text)
                  Contemplatio--resting with the Divine (however one sees it) in silence, open meditation, etc
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I know this isn't(at least for me) something I concern myself with. I tend to consider the Gods and Goddess' I believe in to be more personal,and at least for me more direct in communications,and not needing a ritual of words to let them know I am thinking about them. I think of these deities more on the level of "Friends" rather than out of the reach of mortal man.
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      Sometimes it actually is...like Ecclesiastes 3:1 (the everything is a season verse), or some of the bits in Corinthians, or the Song of Songs... More often though, its not. I collect stuff--poetry, quotes, song lyrics, mythology etc in a sort of scrapbook and use those. Like these poems by Mary Oliver, or this one by Rudyard Kipling, or this song by Sara Tomsen...really whatever I find interesting on a soul-level. Sometimes I'll even collect a bunch of pieces of stuff and put them together and see what comes out in the meditative and contemplation stages, like this. It might even be a picture, rather than something to read.

I'm a bit more free with my interpretation, though the description here (minus the Christian trappings) is pretty apt for the process itself...I guess if I were to re-write/re-name it, it would be something more like...
                      Lectio--Read/watch/listen (basically a sort of non-judgemental/judgement reserved intake of the material)
                      Meditato--meditation on the message (or messages) and how they fit as an expression of Divinity, Humanity or the cosmos (or not)
                      Oratio--which is your own active expression of the message (it could be getting off your rear and dancing, singing, painting, writing, etc, in additional to the conventional prayers) that you received (which may or may not be true to the text)
                      Contemplatio--resting with the Divine (however one sees it) in silence, open meditation, etc
                      I've found that the Psalms, Proverbs, then Wisdom and Sirach (in the Apocrypha) are great places to find prayers. Rumi has also be a big source of inspiration for me too. When I'm short of time, scanning randomly on the radio is another source for contemplation.

I think I need to try some of the activities you mentioned, especially Oratio. I never got the impression that in lectio divina were supposed to create something in response to the Divine. It felt more like 'fitting' life experiences to what scripture says/prescribes. That list has given me a fresh look at it.

Comment

Thank you for this post! I've been interested in this sort of thing for quite some time, but didn't know how to express what I was trying to figure out.

I've never been much of one for the major rituals, I much prefer viewing religion as a lifestyle in honor of something. Part of the problem I've had with coming up with daily actions is that I don't feel particularly devoted to any one deity, though I have a small connection to Heckate. Still, I feel like I should have some small things as a part of my life that show my interest in what's divine and promote that connection. I've just never found much on what to do, beyond meditation that is. So, thanks.
                        We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                        It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                        Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                        -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Good article!

The funny thing is that I expect many of us already do activities that are considered "devotional" and yet, we don't seem to talk a whole lot about this sort of work. I think this is a shame
                          I agree - I used to take great pride in my spell work, but I no longer do magic(k). I have found that outlet in worshiping my gods - putting together devotional activities and practices, writing hymns, building shrines. Unfortunately, the Pagans I spend time with IRL don't really share much passion for that, so I always feel like I'm going on about things others aren't interested in.

I personally think Adorations (started by Sannion and spreading like wildfire)
                          I wouldn't say that this style of worship was STARTED by Sannion, although he definitely got it rolling in the Pagan community. He based his off of the Hindu practice. I can't believe more Pagans haven't done something like this! I had been using my mala for Ganesha and after my first visit to a Catholic service, I began using a different string of beads for Dionysos and yet another for the D'Angeline pantheon. But I love what he did with them - I had just been reciting his epithets, but his 99 (well, I edited many and added more to equal 108 so I could use the same mala for Ganesha and Dionysos) were much more moving.

How about you?[/QUOTE]

I started the devotional image blog Where Dionysos Dwells (the link in my signature... feel free to follow, it's so close to 100 followers XD) a few years ago. It's a way of keeping myself looking for him and thinking about him even when I'm not at his shrine. I also enjoy sharing the things I find with others who love the god and seeing what they submit to the blog... there are some very devoted people out there I've met through that project.

I do puja for my Hindu deities (Ganesha, Parvati, Krishna) every morning, and/or (if something goes wrong and I'm not able to get the time I need) evening. I always get them in once a day, and I always try to make it in the morning, but I don't always recite mantras 108 times every day, as long as I do it once a week (I'm still looking for a mantra for Parvati; I only recently became her devotee). I recite several hymns for Dionysos, of course, and I do a meditation during his worship whenever I have the chance. I honor Dionysos' day on the 13th of every month by retreating to the woods. I do other devotional activities from time to time, but those are the ones that I do regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                            ...and yet another for the D'Angeline pantheon.
                            Pardon me for going way off topic but did you just type D'Angeline? As in Kushiel's Legacy, D'Angeline?!
                            If so, excuse me while I go squee in the corner because now I have confirmation that I'm not the only one who was thinking: "How can I incorporate this awesome pantheon into my practice?" when I read those books.

Comment

Pardon me for going way off topic but did you just type D'Angeline? As in Kushiel's Legacy, D'Angeline?!
                              If so, excuse me while I go squee in the corner because now I have confirmation that I'm not the only one who was thinking: "How can I incorporate this awesome pantheon into my practice?" when I read those books.

Yes, yes she did! And yes, she does mean *that* D'Angeline pantheon, lol. Many a moon ago, before we changed servers and crashed the data base, we even had a whole thread on what made for a "real" religion, "real" gods, etc sparked from it.

<---Asherat-of-the-Sea fan-girl
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X