Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here practice Traditional Witchcraft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here practice Traditional Witchcraft?

I am still new to all of this but I was wondering if anyone has any advice on learning traditional witchcraft? To me it seems that is just something that is passed on, a family tradition.

Re: Anyone here practice Traditional Witchcraft?

Hi there Serene!

You get a lot of authors that seem to talk about family history without much to back it up. That said, I hope Tylluan Penry sees this, because I'm fairly sure she would have some helpful words on the matter.
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Thanks Dez! Yes, I do come from a family of witches, but to be honest it's about as meaningful as coming from a family of human beings - don't let anyone tell you differently. There is a lot of nonsense talked about it, often by people who are trying to claim they are a lot more powerful than they really are.

In my own example, I came from a family that did nothing but hex. If it moves, hex it, seemed to be their motto. And as I grew up, I didn't like it, so I left and struck out on my own path whihc I called 'Seeking the Green.' I'd like to think that it was a well defined path from the outset, but I would be kidding myself. A lot of the time (in the early days) was spent going round and round in circles.

But I stuck it out, and I also learned a lot about psychic self defence because one thing about some family traditions is that they're a bit like the Mafia - you can't really leave. But I did, and I survived (with many a tale to tell) and nowadays I tend to describe myself as a witch to distinguish myself from wiccans. I don't go along with the whole 'An it harm none' thing, basically. There are times - rare, but they do exist - when I will hex. And I am also perfectly willing to pick up the tab if it all goes pear-shaped.

Personally I don't worry about labels these days. I just follow my path with a good heart, an enquiring mind, and hope for the best. So far it's served me well.

But if there's anything more specific you would like to ask - do post here!
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

In addition to fam trad witchcraft, I've also seen it in reference to more...less New Age-y sort of witchcraft, sometimes claiming to be the "pre-Christian" witchcraft traditions of Europe (usually the Great Britain area). But I have to say that I think this history for this is pretty spurious...and most of what I've seen called "Traditional" witchraft is more akin to hedge-witchery or what you may have read of the history of cunning-folk--folk magic and healing.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          In addition to fam trad witchcraft, I've also seen it in reference to more...less New Age-y sort of witchcraft, sometimes claiming to be the "pre-Christian" witchcraft traditions of Europe (usually the Great Britain area). But I have to say that I think this history for this is pretty spurious...and most of what I've seen called "Traditional" witchraft is more akin to hedge-witchery or what you may have read of the history of cunning-folk--folk magic and healing.
          Is there any pre-Christian historically accurate information on paganism out there?

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
            Is there any pre-Christian historically accurate information on paganism out there?
            Are you speaking about paganism or witchcraft? The former is an emphatic yes and I'm unsure about the latter.
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
              Are you speaking about paganism or witchcraft? The former is an emphatic yes and I'm unsure about the latter.
              I was referring mostly to paganism.

Mostly art.

Comment

I would say yes to both, to a certain extent, sometimes (more so for a specific culture's religion than for their witchcraft traditions though). There is some accurate historical information on both...but really depends on which cultures, that one is talking about, and how much accurate information one is expecting...some cultures have had a better preservation of pre-Christian traditions and beliefs than others.
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  I was referring mostly to paganism.
                  I can't speak for all of them, but I can most certainly assure you the Ancient Egyptian practice has lots.
                  my etsy store
                  My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                  surrounded by plush, downy things,
                  ill prepared, but willing,
                  to descend."

Comment

Working...
                  X