Tempted by Norse Paganism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tempted by Norse Paganism

I've been exclusively a Slavic polytheist for the past five years, and even swore that I would remain so. I still feel that my main deity will always be Perun. I feel such a strong link with Perun, and I assumed that in time, I could form a relationship with other Slavic deities as well. After a few years though, I feel that I still only have one friend among the Slavic deities. No matter how much I comb over folklore and other sources, only Perun is revealed to me in detail. Perhaps I've interacted with some others, but they seem very distant. For awhile, this didn't bother me. After all, there's evidence that some Slavic tribes focused on Perun above all other deities. The Byzantine historian, Jordanes, wrote that the Slavs hold "the creator of lightning" to be the lord of all things. Certainly, my study of folklore supports the notion of Perun being more deeply rooted in the folk traditions of Eastern Europe than most other Gods. So perhaps the distance of other deities wasn't so strange.

However, I started out worshiping this same God as Thor, so one might say that my roots are in Norse paganism. It also seems that Heathens are the only type of Pagan that I can really relate to, often more so than the nationalistic Rodnovers of Russia. Asatruar and the like remain my best chance of finding a community here in the U.S., since they are numerous enough here to form groups. My attempts to intermingle with other pagan groups have had mixed success, especially where wiccans and witches are concerned.

In any case, I was quite content to have a relationship with only one deity. After all, who else was there? However, I recently began reading Havamal, and found the pre-Christian wisdom and values that I had been looking for. I had always known they existed. I've tried for so long to fill in the gaps left by the destruction of Slavic paganism, and I believe I've recovered a lot that was lost. However, all of that pales in comparison to what was preserved in the Codex Regius. If I do incorporate Norse tradition into my practice, I feel I must petition certain powers for permission to branch out- partially due to my earlier agreements. However, I fear even this would be a transgression.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Re: Tempted by Norse Paganism

Huh...I'm not sure what sort of agreements you've made, but if you feel strongly that Perun and Thor are similar, or even the same, why not ask him what he thinks?
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Re: Tempted by Norse Paganism

It seems to me like you're feeling a little lonely, and want more a community feel. Although you feel akin to Perun, you don't have a community with which you are interact with.

These descisions are ones you yourself must make, but will give you my advice. I think it is fine to draw off alternative sources to enhance your religionship to the Gods. No one people ever knew everything there is to know, and to try and draw exclusively off one civilization can lead to narrowmindedness. Why shouldn't you draw off Havamal? It's a good read. It teaches you a lot. Just because it wasn't written by Slavs doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. If your current path doesn't give you the satisfaction you want (but if you still want to stick with it) then sure, branch out. I don't think the Gods/Goddesses are so jealous so as to cast you away.

Heathenism is my path, but that doesn't mean I will stop reading about other pagan cultures and civilizations. Pagan paths are intimately linked with one another, and I think that it isn't the end of the world if you broaden your research to include other paths.

And as for communities, I understand it appeal. I know first-hand how difficult it is to be solitary when so many others out there have a community to relate to. If you yourself relate to Heathen communities, then I think you should try joining one. Community is a big part of being pagan (IMO) and if you have the chance to become part of ANY pagan community, don't let it slide by.

I'm afraid that's all the advice I can give. I hope it helps.
      Last edited by ConnollyCelt; 04 May 2012, 20:19.
      "Wealth is as swift | as a winking eye
      Of friends the falsest it is."

Havamal, 74

"The wolf that lies idle | shall win little meat,
      Or the sleeping man success."

Havamal, 58

Comment

Working...
      X