Ethnic Arab Paganism any books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethnic Arab Paganism any books?

I can't seem to find a concise book describing the central Arabian ethnic pagan arab religion, magic and customs. This means the tribes and areas of Central and Northern Arabia that originally encompassed the pre-islamic and christian pagan belief systems.

I've heard of book of idols and few. This even goes for Nabatenean culture which is proto-arab and/ also part of ethnic arab culture.

The Sheba (Sabaneans) of Yemen - although not Arab have influenced them and vice verse as other arabian cultures. But share distinct and similar info . Things related to stars, similar gods.

Their pagan religion is something i'm curious to know more about as well.

They influenced the Sabaenean order which was a pagan group that was influenced by them and other near eastern and oriental pagan ideas.

There is aslo lot about Caananites/Armaneans and other Mespotamians. But what about arabs?

Do you any books , or even obscure revival sects that follow? Perphaps things related to magic or anything else?

Re: Ethnic Arab Paganism any books?

As you have seen, the Semitic groups who migrated to the Levant are much better recorded. Probably due to their coming in contact with writing very early on. Slavic paganism doesn't have much written sources either, so I focus a lot on folklore. However, I imagine that Arabian folklore has very little left in it that is pagan.
    If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

No there is a lot of pagan stuff in arab folklore. Arab Magick has been written into tons of books on these that have been around for 1000's of years which i'm sure are similar to other semitic cultures.

The whole concept of Jinn or genies is chockful of magickal stuff, ritual practice and paganism.

Here is a good blog but we need more :

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

We?

Also, if you're here to ask questions, why are you arguing with people who have been kind enough to answer you?
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Dez, did I miss something in this thread or was the newb innapropriate elsewhere?
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
            Dez, did I miss something in this thread or was the newb innapropriate elsewhere?
            I second this. Unless some posts were deleted this seems pretty benign.
            my etsy store
            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
            surrounded by plush, downy things,
            ill prepared, but willing,
            to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
              His reply was caught by the spam filter for some reason. Probably because of the link he typed. It should appear now!
              [4:82]

Comment

I don't recall arguing with anyone. I just asked some questions as an atheist on another post. This is because i am curious to know more about these topics.

no need to be rude here.
                Last edited by greenhead; 02 May 2012, 13:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
                  His reply was caught by the spam filter for some reason. Probably because of the link he typed. It should appear now!
                  Thanks Dumuzi!
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by greenhead View Post
                    I don't recall arguing with anyone. I just asked some questions as an atheist on another post. This is because i am curious to know more about these topics.

no need to be rude here.
                    I think it's just the structure of your sentences. Semantics.
                    Welcome.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I misread something, and so misunderstood your tone. My apologies, greenhead

ETA: I think between this and the other thread you recently started I'm not the only one who has gotten confused about your tone/intent. When dealing with you, is there some additional factor, like English as a second language, etc, that we should be aware of?
                      Last edited by Dez; 02 May 2012, 21:29.

Comment

No english is my first language. Sometimes I post too quick without re-reading.

I may have been unintentionally critical only to get a quick insight/response/debate/ on subjects not to disrespect anyone personal beliefs.

It might have come off too strong sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by greenhead View Post
                          No english is my first language. Sometimes I post too quick without re-reading.

I may have been unintentionally critical only to get a quick insight/response/debate/ on subjects not to disrespect anyone personal beliefs.

It might have come off too strong sorry.
                          No worries!

I've been seeing your posts elsewhere and we seem to have just gotten off on the wrong foot

Comment

Working...
                          X