Firefly Academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefly Academy

I found this website that is an online school and it offers classes on all sorts of things relating to Paganism including Wicca, Witchcraft, and I think even Shamanism. They even have classes on divination, cleltic, magick, and herbolism too and here is the link for the website. There is no tuition you can even download their textbook as an ebook for free too.

I guess what I want to know is has anyone ever tried online classes like this and if they thought it was worth it or enjoyed it. Also if anyone has tried an online school like this could you share the link? Thanks
    Last edited by Laketear; 03 May 2012, 08:31. Reason: Misspelled
    A witch is a woman who knows what she wants and is not afraid to work to achieve it. She has strong beliefs and the power to go through with her wishes. She has the power to turn thought into action. She's a strong, hardworking and intelligent woman.
    Call me a witch and I will thank you for the compliment.

Re: Firefly Academy

No experience but I am a little distrustful of such things because I am quite set in my ways. I once saw the 'curriculae' of a very famous online wiccan school/tradition. It was NOTHING like the 'wicca' I had been taught, and didn't sit well with me (it was, in my opinion, more a study of various and unconnected esoteric subjects, rather than a continually building spiritual framework, which is more what I was used to, but of course I am biased). As this one is free though, so as long as you keep an open-mind and realise it is only ONE group's interpretation of whichever subject you choose to study, then I don't see how it would be any worse than reading a book. Some books are great, some are rubbish, but it is wise to sample a wide variety.

I DID take part in a corrispondance course in magic/spiritualism once though. My teacher was lovely and the training was very well planned out. It was helpful at the time, but after level 2 (kind of their 2nd degree), I dropped out, because I wasn't serious enough about it to want to become a High Priestess of the tradition or anything like that.

Another point to make about these online colleges, is that for solitaries who really want to experience the degree system (there's no shame in needing that), this offers a way to achieve it without a coven. So long as they realise that degrees (and indeed priesthood: no apologies to those 'Hi, I'm Lady blahblah, High Priestess of the blahblahblah' folk), are only valid and relivent within the group in which they are given, then I see absolutley no harm in this.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Yes you're right I've never really had much contact well physical face to face contact with people who are interested in the same things as me and I guess I saw this as a way to do that. *Sigh* The people in the back woods of Kentucky aren't very open to such things, lol.
      A witch is a woman who knows what she wants and is not afraid to work to achieve it. She has strong beliefs and the power to go through with her wishes. She has the power to turn thought into action. She's a strong, hardworking and intelligent woman.
      Call me a witch and I will thank you for the compliment.

Comment

If you do try them out, please let us know. It does look interesting to me as well, but I feel skeptical about the yearly membership and etc.
        Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Am I the only one who looked at this and thought "Firefly"? As in "you can't take the sky from me?"
          :P x
          "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
            Am I the only one who looked at this and thought "Firefly"? As in "you can't take the sky from me?"
            Definitely not haha

Comment

I haven't taken any from the school you posted a link on, but I have taken classes from The Magic Circle School found at http://www.mistresskalpanasrealm.com/ It has a very similar style and I love the classes. Beware though as it is very college like. Essays and papers are demanded of the students and it takes a while to complete some of the courses, but it is worth it.

I've also taken classes from http://www.witchschool.com/ and http://www.magickaschool.com/ They are more into letting their students do a reading assignment and then taking a quiz. Much easier, but I didn't really feel like I was being challenged in them. Still learned a lot though.

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                That was my first thought! I was hoping I was going to be able to learn to be a big damn hero, but alas.
                Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Working...
                X