Western Astrology Charts, Questions, and all around Fun Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Astrology Charts, Questions, and all around Fun Times

I know a thing or two about it, as many, many, MANY of us here do. I think it'd be fun to have a place to spew all that I know and learn a few new things too!

So ask questions! Share what you know! We could focus on planets, houses, signs (and combinations of all of the above). I'm no good with angles and such because I'm not that kind of a thinker, but I'm well versed in the rest of it and would love to have some fun talking, discussing, and otherwise just sharing!

If you want some funs, gimme the following:

Birth Date and Year
    Place of Birth
    Time of Birth (if you have it - this helps me find your ascendant)
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Re: Western Astrology Charts, Questions, and all around Fun Times

Oh I am always up for a bit of fun!

Birth Date and Year:- 5th October 82
    Place of Birth:- Wildenwraf in Germany
    Time of Birth (if you have it - this helps me find your ascendant):- 3:20am
    http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Great idea for a thread!

I cheat I'm afraid. I have a chart generator that I bought for a few quid in a charity shop. You just pop in your info and 'poof' the whole chart is created in seconds. I still have some blank photocopies from the days when my sister and I (mainly my sister) used to do them by hand as kids, so I sometimes use the generator and then transcribe it onto the blanks as birthday presents.

When I was a kid, my older sister was really into astrology so I learnt the basics then. As an adult, and despite being pagan and studying tarot imagery, I still only know the basics. Even of the sun signs, that most people ask me about, I don't really know the personalities by heart. I just memorised the gender, element and attribute of each sign and guess from them.

I don't really want to believe in astrology. It makes no logical sense to me whatsoever. Yet I cannot deny that birth charts are almost always surprisingly accurate descriptions of people's personality.
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
        Great idea for a thread!

I cheat I'm afraid. I have a chart generator that I bought for a few quid in a charity shop. You just pop in your info and 'poof' the whole chart is created in seconds. I still have some blank photocopies from the days when my sister and I (mainly my sister) used to do them by hand as kids, so I sometimes use the generator and then transcribe it onto the blanks as birthday presents.

When I was a kid, my older sister was really into astrology so I learnt the basics then. As an adult, and despite being pagan and studying tarot imagery, I still only know the basics. Even of the sun signs, that most people ask me about, I don't really know the personalities by heart. I just memorised the gender, element and attribute of each sign and guess from them.

I don't really want to believe in astrology. It makes no logical sense to me whatsoever. Yet I cannot deny that birth charts are almost always surprisingly accurate descriptions of people's personality.
        I like to think of the signs as archetypes, or caricatures. They show possible tendencies. Astrology is a powerful social tool for me, not a guideline or a cheat sheet, it just helps me remember things like, "Oh, she's a Cancer. Maybe I shouldn't point out her house is dirty," or whatever. And there's lots of things that go into it. I too was a total skeptic until I did my chart one day and was like... O_O

---------- Post added at 09:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 PM ----------

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post

I'll do this tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
          They show possible tendencies. Astrology is a powerful social tool for me, not a guideline or a cheat sheet, it just helps me remember things like, "Oh, she's a Cancer. Maybe I shouldn't point out her house is dirty," or whatever.
          Oh, I do this, but with buying gifts. I have an article that suggests possible present ideas for people based on their sun sign and as I am hopeless at buying gifts for people, I find this really helpful.

My boyfriend was really surprised when we first met because he found one of my astrology books (just a little pocket guide, nothing in-depth). He mockingly turned to his sign but soon lost the smirk when he realised it described him perfectly. I always thought I was quite a perfect example of my sun sign (leo: only thing that doesn't fit, is I HATE brand loyalty and care little for expensive 'luxuaries', although I collect things, so I think that's how I express that trait), but JP is like an absolutely perfect example of a cancerian. He's definitely changed his opinion!
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Birth Date and Year: 12/01/1988
            Place of: Bay City, MI, USA
            Time of Birth (if you have it - this helps me find your ascendant): 7:59 AM
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post

Sun: Libra
              Moon: Taurus
              Ascendant (I checked my calculations against a computer's and had to substitute your city for the nearest one of Wassenberg): Virgo
              Mercury: Libra
              Venus: Libra
              Mars: Sagittarius
              Jupiter: Scorpio
              Saturn: Libra
              Uranus: Sagittarius
              Neptune: Sagittarius
              Pluto: Libra

I will be updating this thread to help us all understand what these things may mean.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

Originally posted by LiadanWillows View Post
              Birth Date and Year: 12/01/1988
              Place of: Bay City, MI, USA
              Time of Birth (if you have it - this helps me find your ascendant): 7:59 AM
              Sun: Sagittarius
              Moon: Virgo
              Ascendant: Sagittarius
              Mercury: Sagittarius
              Venus: Scorpio
              Mars: Aries
              Jupiter: Taurus
              Saturn: Capricorn
              Uranus: Sagittarius
              Neptune: Capricorn
              Pluto: Scorpio

Comment

I have a few books on this so if you can't get to what they mean it's fine by me. Also, I know an astrologer in Lawrence if you'd like to speak with him. I don't recall if he still teaches, but I can ask him. Anyway...

Date: 8/11/83
                Place: Kansas City, Missouri
                Time: 10:18 PM
                my etsy store
                My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                surrounded by plush, downy things,
                ill prepared, but willing,
                to descend."

Comment

What do the planets mean?

Each planet goes through a cycle of the constellations mentioned (or signs), which is why you can have things like, "Mercury in Cancer," or so on. In order to understand some of what this could mean for a birth chart, one needs to know what the planets themselves represent.

They correspond greatly with Roman mythology: Mars was the god of war, Venus the goddess of beauty, Mercury the winged messenger and the god of just about everything, Jupiter (or Zeus) was known for expansion, Saturn the god of time and lessons, Neptune the god of the tumultuous seas, etc.

Each planet rules a sign, as in, this is the sign in which it's power is most purely manifested:

Mars rules Aries
                  Venus rules Taurus
                  Mercury rules Gemini
                  Moon rules Cancer
                  Sun rules Leo
                  Mercury rules Virgo
                  Venus rules Libra
                  Pluto rules Scorpio
                  Jupiter rules Sagittarius
                  Saturn rules Capricorn
                  Uranus rules Aquarius
                  Neptune rules Pisces

In astrology, we work with archetypes (at least in the astrology that *I* interpret). These are not gods they are merely archetypes, or caricatures that illustrate the extreme of a tendency So, knowing what we do about Mars, it's simple to see that Mars is a planet of physical aggression, sexual virility, and energy.

Things that the planets say to me:

Mars: physical aggression, sexual desire, energy (the get-up-and-go in all of us), raw masculine power
                  Venus: tastes, attractions, artistic flair, sometimes money
                  Mercury: communication, expression, curiosity, intelligence (not how much, but how eager to learn)
                  Moon: unconscious, intuition, female power, basic needs, the you that lives inside
                  Sun: consciousness, habits, inherent tendencies, basic self
                  Pluto: subconscious, mystery, death and rebirth, power/control
                  Jupiter: bounty, honor, morals, higher thinking/education
                  Saturn: restriction, hard knocks, lessons learned, responsibility, discipline
                  Uranus: eccentricity, humanitarianism, rebellion, forward thinking, cleverness
                  Neptune: dreams, illusions, emotions, inspiration
                  Ascendant: the you that other people see, first impressions, physical appearance, coping mechanisms

You can also break the signs up in two main ways: Qualities, and Elements.

Most of us are well aware of the elements. The elements are Fire, Earth, Air, Water and it is this pattern that the wheel of the zodiac follows. Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer is the first cycle, followed by Leo, Virgo, Scorpio, Libra, and topped off with Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, Pisces..

Fire Signs: Aries, Leo, Sagittarius
                  Earth Signs: Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn
                  Air Signs: Gemini, Libra, Aquarius
                  Water Signs: Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces

Another way to divide up the signs are into Qualities. The qualities are Cardinal, Fixed, Mutable, and this pattern follows the wheel as well. Aries (C), Taurus (F), Gemini (M), Cancer (C), Leo (F), Virgo (M), Libra (C), Scorpio (F), Sagittarius (M), Capricorn (C), Aquarius (F), Pisces (M).

Cardinal Signs: Aries, Cancer, Libra, Capricorn
                  Fixed Signs: Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, Aquarius
                  Mutable Signs: Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces

Mathematically, this is simple to remember if you remember that there are 12 signs that can be divided cleanly into 4 sets of 3 (which is the qualities), or 3 sets of 4 (which are the elements).

Cardinal Energy:
                  I like to go by the seasons. These are the signs that START the seasons (Aries is the start of spring, Cancer summer, Libra fall, Capricorn winter). The are the pioneers, the ones that makes things happen, the go getters, the manipulators, the doers, the starters, new beginnings.

Fixed Energy:
                  Going by the seasons, fixed signs are in the HEART of the season. Taurus is the heart of spring, Leo is the dog days of summer, Scorpio is the heart of fall, and Aquarius is in the dead of winter. This energy is stubborn, rooted, unchanging, reliable, secure, stable, and sometimes rather immovable.

Mutable Energy:
                  According to the seasons, mutable signs change one season to the next: Gemini changes spring to summer, Virgo summer into fall, Sagittarius fall into winter, and Pisces winter into spring. Their energy is changing, adaptable, flexible, go-with-the-flow, sometimes unreliable or spontaneous.

Are y'all with me so far?

Comment

So far so good!:=): Thanks for posting this!!!

Birth Date and Year: April 17, 1990
                    Place of Birth: Baltimore, MD
                    Time of Birth (if you have it - this helps me find your ascendant): 4:16 a.m.

Comment

Brilliant so far. Thanks Bjorn
                      http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Do you happen to know a way to find out, day to day, what sign the sun and moon are in? Or should a chart just be used? If a chart should be used, do you happen to know a good website for such a thing?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelRusso View Post
                          Do you happen to know a way to find out, day to day, what sign the sun and moon are in? Or should a chart just be used? If a chart should be used, do you happen to know a good website for such a thing?
                          Here's a pretty accurate moon one, I don't have a link to a sun one though: http://www.moonchart.org/chart2012/2012.html
                          "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                          - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amelia-Mary View Post
                            Here's a pretty accurate moon one, I don't have a link to a sun one though: http://www.moonchart.org/chart2012/2012.html
                            thanks, it's really appreciated

Comment

The sun is really very simple, since its transits through the signs take longer time. The moon is a fast moving orb, you see, and sadly I cannot recommend a good site, though Amelia-Mary was kind enough to give you one that looks to be pretty comprehensive (thanks, doll)!.

As for the sun, the transit takes several weeks, and that's when people say, "I'm a Taurus," or, "I'm a Leo," - because the sun was in that sign.

The sun is in the signs as follows (keep in mind that some sources vary on the EXACT date and that is why we have things like cusps, which I'll get into later):

Aries: March 21 - April 19
                              Taurus: April 20 - May 20
                              Gemini: May 21 - June 20
                              Cancer: June 21 - July 22-23 (some sources vary on this one)
                              Leo: July 23 - August 20
                              Virgo: August 21 - September 20
                              Libra: September 21 - October 23
                              Scorpio: October 24 - November 21
                              Sagittarius: November 21 - December 21
                              Capricorn: December 22 - January 19
                              Aquarius: January 20 - February 18
                              Pisces: February 19 - March 20

Comment

Working...
                              X