Trying to get into witchcraft but too skeptical on certain things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to get into witchcraft but too skeptical on certain things

i've picked up a book and i'm reading on but i find a find a number of things unrealistic such controling others, and spells for example.

What way is there around this? How do you guys make sense of this or make it work for you?

Re: Trying to get into witchcraft but too skeptical on certain things

Could you tell us the book and author? It might be the author's style that is at fault. Some are far more down to Earth and practical than others.

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:31 PM ----------

Oh and if it helps, in my beliefs, anything that brings about a desired change in the world around us, is magic. So even opening a window because I am too hot, is magic to me... As is making someone smile just by smiling at them myself. Magic needn't just be about spells and chants: they're just an interesting addition to the tools we already have when it comes to getting what we want.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Simply put, if magic doesn't feel right to you - don't worry about it. Not all Pagans practice witchcraft, and not all witches are Pagan. You aren't any less of a Pagan if you don't do witchcraft.

Spells are kind of like medication. Just like most people won't randomly pop pills (dead rock stars excepted), most people don't just sit down w/a spellbook & start randomly casting spells. Most people use spells to fulfill specific needs.

In my p.o.v. as a former spellcaster, and possibly future spellcaster...
      Some spells have a psychological effect on the caster. If you perform a spell to make yourself more attractive, subconsciously, you're going to act that out. You're going to start dressing in a more noticeable fashion, maybe change your hair or make-up, maybe go out more... and when you do go out, you're going to be more outgoing and flirtatious. If you perform a spell to get a better job, you're probably going to start making a more aggressive search for that job - put in more applications, go to more interviews, project yourself as the most perfect candidate, that type of thing.

I believe strongly that living beings can direct energy in certain ways. A healing spell lends an ill person the regenerative properties we all have within us to knit bones & tissues faster, or to boost the immune system. Some people practice reiki or hands-on healing, and to me those are forms of magic. Curses & hexes do the same thing, only in reverse.

Other spells, like domination/controlling spells... well, I don't know why they work when they work. It's magic
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I second what Perz is saying.

Prayer is magic. Meditation. Listening to a song that I really needed to hear, that lets me release and laugh or cry my eyes out. Performing an action, whether it's lighting a candle, stirring a pot, or cleaning my home, mindfully, infusing the action with the effect I want to leave on the world around me right now. That is magic.

A lot of books out there, especially ones geared towards teens, are full of expensive ingredients and silly verses someone came up with to sell the book. Some people love it, it's not my thing, at all, and it took me several years on here to "get" the disconnect between that sort of thing, and what people in this board actually talk about doing. Meditation. Learning how to draw a circle and center yourself. Control and empowering yourself, and seeking mundane answers first.
        Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I'm mnagic reading the power of witchcraft - 1980 its pretty old. Have you read it?

Comment

Who is the author?

Comment

gaivn frost

Comment

Ahh...there are strong feelings both ways about the Frosts from what I understand.

Comment

I have kind of a liberal view on what a spell really "is". I consider a prayer a spell, meditation, making tea, cleaning my home, taking a shower. Anything that I do with purpose to connect with the divine I consider spell work.

As far as the "bippity boppity boo" part of magic I think that we do have the ability to effect people and objects around us but not in a Hollywood way. I often don't consider doing a spell because it sounds like it came from a Disney movie.
                  sigpic

Comment

I think being skeptical is not only normal but a totally healthy attitude to have. I am pretty skeptical about most things, including spells and magic, but I try things out and allow myself to trust the results. This is also the advise I would give to a novice, open your heart and mind to the possibility and try things for yourself, but don't accept something is true just because some guy wrote a book telling you it is.

Personally I am not sure I believe that it is possible to control people through magic as I believe free will trumps any power a spell of mine might have. For example, many spell books warn against casting love spells on specific people, I agree but mainly because I think it would be wasted energy that would be better spent bringing more love in to your life.
                    http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

If you're not feeling a certain book or a certain author try another one.

Ones that I've read that I really like are Paganism: an introduction to Earth centered religions by Joyce and River Higginbotham and Wicca: a guide for the solitary practitioner by Scott Cunningham. Both are very well reviewed.

If you read the right books, things just sort of click.

Comment

I've just rejoined this forum after spending a time thinking through which spiritual path fit me. I read through the posts in this thread and identify with the original question.
                        I'm excited about beginning my journey into hedgewitchery. What appealed to me was the nurturing, natural "everyday magic" that occurs when we cook...we can ask a blessing for the family as we prepaer meals...all of that.
                        As someone said here, everything we do with intent is a spell. We don't need to perform Disney type incantations.
                        The old KISS principle.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm reading the first Paganism book mentioned here and have read the book by Scott Cunningham referenced here! I totally agree with those choices ...not that it should matter at all...LOL!

Comment

Wow you just summed up my beliefs! Also, love the quote about loving nature just not being on you! Sounds like me as well!

Comment

Honestly, I'm a bit skeptical about casting spells as well. I think that's part of why I chose a pagan path that doesn't focus much on magic. I can wrap my head around spells being basically ritualistic prayers, but that's about it for me. I tried spells when I was starting out with paganism, and as near as I could tell, it was all just in my head. Even if there is such a thing as magic, I see no reason to presume that I myself am magical.
                            If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Hi, I'm new here on your forum and thought I'd give an opinion. (And of course, it is ONLY an opinion.)

I am in agreement with the others on this as well. Most writers are throwing in their beliefs and you do not have to agree with it. I do like to read Raymond Buckland and Scott Cunningham.
                              As far as "controlling" people...well...you can influence people and of course you can do that without magic, but it is my understand that that is a no-no...then again... to each their own on that one. Just remember, do as you would like others to do for you. (AGAIN, this is just m.p.o.)

Comment

Working...
                              X