Pagan Saints

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan Saints

I've been having this pop up a lot for me lately,and so I'm trying to make a list of saints that are;

1) Catholic versions of an older deity, whether officially canonized or not (Santa Muerte, for example).

2) Tied to pagan symbolism, or otherwise "filling in" on a role previously held by a pagan deity ( Saint Walpurga and her sheaf of grain, along with myths about her entering the last sheaf of wheat, or being chased by the Wild Hunt).

3) Used as an avatar to syncretize another being with Catholic practice (Lwa in Voudon usually have a saint they are tied to).

A lot of lists online just say this=this, without any links or information, which is aggravating, especially when I eventually disagree with their analysis, and so I'm trying to include detail when possible:

Saint Brigid of Kildare, who took up all the symbols of the older Celtic goddess Brighid .

Saint Elijah the Thunderer, the Eastern Orthodox church's effort to reduce worship of Perun.

Saint Lucy, a minor but loved saint in her native Italy, who became hugely popular and syncretized with Norse solar symbolism in Northern Europe (link from my blog).

Santa Muerte, the unofficial saint from Mexico who is becoming a source of controversy in the States because of her ties to the poor and desperate. Some are now arguing that she is a modern incarnation of ideas and practices originally tied to the goddess Mictecacihuatl.

Saint Walburga, another probably real person who absorbed older myths tied to their name (my blog, again).

I'll add more when I'm not worried my connection will lose this thread...any others you can think of?
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Re: Pagan Saints

I think the Virgin of Guadalupe...some Aztec goddess.

Ah, here we go!

Also, St Sarah/Kali, (not really a deity, but...) Buddha, St George and the dragon from the myth of Perseus, Oedipus and St Julian's mythos overlap a bit as well, St Michael and (at least a little bit, in terms of influence) Mithras...

I think part of the problem is that some saints are legitimately saints in the sense that they were their own person, but part of the mythology of other cultures was absorbed into their mythology...so they aren't entirely based off of the other, but there are elements there.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

It's not just saints who are noted and revered by particular faiths. There are also martyrs. Modern Paganism has one of those already:

Tempest Smith, remembered on February 20th.
      HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post

I'll add more when I'm not worried my connection will lose this thread...any others you can think of?
        I have a few listed on this page at http://piereligion.org/pagansaints.html or just piereligion.org/pagansaints.html whichever link works. It's rather perfunctory at this time, but you can get an idea of how widespread it is.

Slag310

Comment

I'd just like to point out that St. George and the dragon reflects many old dragon slaying myths, not just that of Perseus. In particular, the "dragon withholding water" motif is fairly universal.
          If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Working...
          X