Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you feel animism influences your neopaganism?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you feel animism influences your neopaganism?

Do you feel animism influences your neopaganism? If it does what do you consider animism?

I find it hard to explain what animism is so this is going to be longer then it needs to be... but I think my concept of animism defo influences my neopaganism because of my personal feelings, the things that influence my neopaganism like medieval literature and folk culture and because of the history of neopaganism...

On a basic level the idea of everything having a spirit resonates with me: animals, plants, rocks, even man made things and I think is reflected in medieval literature and folk culture. We humanize all those things and in doing that I think we're giving them our qualities - like a spiritual life... Sometimes we even emphasise a supernatural spiritual nature.

Animals and the landscape have voices and personalities in literature but they are often deified too and would have a greater spiritual nature then us... Examples from medieval literature might be Cu Chulainns horse crying when he knows cu chulainn will die and returning to the otherworld or the gods that take animal forms, the river, mountain and land deities... they dont just have a spiritual quality they have a greater capacity then us.

In folklore if you kill a weazel its family will come for you in the night or you might see a weazel funeral and the relatives of the dead will kill you for interupting unless youve got a good dog with you.... they seem to have a similar society to our own and a similar spiritual capacity if not a purer spiritual nature by virtue of them being wild.

Id say that empirically animism as a victorian concept also influences neopaganism because weve got sun and moon gods around )o( but also in its earth based focus... and as a neopagan I think its impossible to escape animisms influence through neopaganisms...

Phew

Re: Do you feel animism influences your neopaganism?

I do consider myself an animist, but I don't know which came first for me, animism or Paganism. When I first heard there were people that didn't believe animals had souls I was like, "Whaddaya mean, my dog has no soul?! Are you nuts?!" It's just something that was always present in my cosmological world-view. But I'm also pantheist/panentheist - everything has a soul, and there is a little spark of the Divine in everything.
    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Animals are extremely important to me, I have the spirit of a wolf. I love the woods, running in the woods, I am dominate with some people but back down to those who are more powerful. I also follow some wolf law that real wolves follow it just became natural to me. I also follow some vampiristic laws as well. When practicing however, I don't really use the influence of animals and I just focus on the earth. Outdoor mediation I will involve thoughts of animals, as well as with some indoor stuff and when I need courage.
      In a few weeks I am getting a wolf tattoo on my side.
      Check out my blog, it's a good way to stay entertained if you get bored.
      http://fallenangeli.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've always felt very close to certain animals; Dog, Wolf and Bear especially. But I like most animals. And I personally find cruelty to animals to be almost as repellent as child abuse.

Indeed were I in a position of power - think Dr Doom:devilish: - I'd make both offences punishable by death.

Comment

Working...
        X