Eclectic Neo-Pagan Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eclectic Neo-Pagan Questions.

I tried looking at a few sites about Eclectic Neo-Paganism. But It just didn't really all make sense to me on what exactly it is. After a huge debate on another site about Wicca and Eclectic I just decided to look into Eclectic Neo-Pagan because I was told it was more of what I was doing.

So I have some questions, I get that the things they follow are similar to the Wiccan Rede. That makes sense.

So, from what I've read it's just a combination of different Pagan traditions?

When I was practicing before, I had my book of shadows with spells and such. But I also have some random blurbs to the Lord and Lady. I was wondering if that was okay to have in there?

I get that they believe similar things to what the Wiccan Rede says, but what exactly do they believe?

I know this might make me look dumb, but I would just rather have it explained by people then keep looking for stuff on the internet where I'm never sure if the information is correct.
    Check out my blog, it's a good way to stay entertained if you get bored.
    http://fallenangeli.blogspot.com/

Re: Eclectic Neo-Pagan Questions.

There isn't any set beliefs of Eclectic Neo-Paganism. Being Eclectic means you draw from whatever you wish to build a spiritual tradition without fully claiming any of them. It's not like being a Methodist, switching to Catholic and being able to compare the Wesleyan Book of Discipline with the Baltimore Catechism. Being Eclectic means you pick and choose, working with what gets ya through and what speak to you.

Comment

Ahh I see. That makes a lot of sense.
      Check out my blog, it's a good way to stay entertained if you get bored.
      http://fallenangeli.blogspot.com/

Comment

Witcher really hit it. Eclectic just means "selecting or choosing from various sources." Right from the dictionary. The slightly longer definition, "not following any one system, as of philosophy, medicine, etc., but selecting and using what are considered the best elements of all systems." Basically, it means you research whatever seems interesting to you, you experiment and find what works for you, and you figure out how best to incorporate that into your spiritual path.

An eclectic pagan is someone who pulls from many different pagan paths. They may have nothing to do with Wicca at all, so this...

Originally posted by Ementine View Post
        So I have some questions, I get that the things they follow are similar to the Wiccan Rede. That makes sense.
        Isn't necessarily true. An eclectic pagan can follow the Wiccan rede, but they don't have to. Likewise, they may use Wiccan ritual structure, worship the Wiccan Lord and Lady, and so on... but then again, they might not. It's totally up to the individual. Such things are not necessary to be a pagan or witch, only to be a Wiccan.

Sometimes you also see something like someone saying they are an eclectic Wiccan. An eclectic Wiccan would work with the core Wiccan beliefs/practices, pull from various Wiccan traditions (and probably some outside sources, too). So more specific than saying eclectic pagan, which could really mean a whole host of different beliefs, ideas, and practices. You can't really know what an eclectic pagan believes without them telling you.
        Last edited by Gardenia; 16 Jul 2012, 21:11.
        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

I'm an eclectic pagan and don't follow the Rede. My ethics are based on honesty, personal responsibility and reciprocity.

There is not much to add really to what has already been said. My path is based on researching different paths and beliefs and then keeping what works and either amending, or discarding what doesn't. Personally I currently only work with one pantheon and try to understand as much as I can about my gods from within their own cultural pov. I think it is important to respect the paths you work from and try to understand everything that you take as part of the bigger picture. This also helps you to really appreciate what works for you, and why.

What I am basically trying to say, in a very long winded way, is that anything you choose to have in your BoS, or our path itself, is 'ok', as long as it still means something to you personally.
          http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
            I'm an eclectic pagan and don't follow the Rede. My ethics are based on honesty, personal responsibility and reciprocity.

There is not much to add really to what has already been said. My path is based on researching different paths and beliefs and then keeping what works and either amending, or discarding what doesn't. Personally I currently only work with one pantheon and try to understand as much as I can about my gods from within their own cultural pov. I think it is important to respect the paths you work from and try to understand everything that you take as part of the bigger picture. This also helps you to really appreciate what works for you, and why.

What I am basically trying to say, in a very long winded way, is that anything you choose to have in your BoS, or our path itself, is 'ok', as long as it still means something to you personally.
            EXACTLY! Just make sure that everything has meaning, Ementine

Comment

Working...
            X