A Magickal Name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Magickal Name?

I've read a lot about choosing your magickal name or even it choosing you in the form of, over time, it coming to you through many means.
    What is the point to this and how did you go about it?
    What's your take on the subject?
    Is it necessary?
    Do you keep yours private or do you share yours with others?
    I see LOVE where others see only WEEDS

Re: A Magickal Name?

I was told to get one right away. It's really up to the person. I use mine on the boards I go to. It doesn't serve any other purpose to me at this point.

Comment

I believe it largely depends on whether you feel you need one or not. For over 10 years I identified by the name of Juniper, when it came to my spiritual self. Now, it's becoming less relevant how others address me. My spiritual connections have never needed to refer to me by any name. If you feel comfortable going my a Magical name, then perhaps you need to meditate on it or find some other way to connect with a name of that nature.
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

I have a secret name that nobody knows, I have my Christian name that everyone calls me, and I have the names that my comrades in weirdness call me when they're talking about me in relation to magick and other related oddnesses.

The only one I really care much about is my secret name. Nobody knows it but me, and I plan on keeping it that way. To call a thing by its name is to control it, and if nobody knows what mine is, that's extra points for paranoid.

Having a craft name is a good way to keep your private religious life separate from your professional "Witchraft? No, I don't know nothin about no witchcraft" life, though. I didn't have one til last year, despite searching every mythology I could think of for a name that suited me. Now I've got two. They come to you when they come to you, and it's best not to worry about it as long as you know when somebody says your name that they're talking to you.

Comment

I don't normally use one. Would I keep one secret if I did?

Let's rephrase this, would I keep something secret just because I can?

EDIT: for those less familiar with my policies on information, the question isn't would I keep private data secret? The question is why would I share anything? Secrecy is the default option.
          Last edited by MaskedOne; 13 Aug 2012, 19:37.
          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
          X