Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is kitchen witchery a good place to begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is kitchen witchery a good place to begin?

Okay, I did a small search on this site for "kitchen witchcraft" and didn't find too much. I see that a few people practice it, but didn't get much information than that. From what I do understanding, it's cooking with a little magic, but that doesn't explain much to someone who hasn't done it before.

So, are there any good sites to start with? I didn't find any recently updated pages. Any good books come out recently?

Is there anyone here who practices it?

Thanks!

Re: Is kitchen witchery a good place to begin?

I've got a few books but they're older by a lil bit. Basically kitchen witchery is almost kinda like alchemy in a sense. You work with the elements involved and harness the energies these diffe rent pieces emit. For example healing brews-almond, ginger, apple...all these things are usually known for the healing properties that we use every day. In kitchen witchery we use these and apply our faith, envoking whichever diety might fit best, and follow any instructions the ritual or recipe might have.
    The book I've got is called "a witch's beverages and brews-magick potions made easy" by patricia telesco. From what I've done with the healing brews they were really good and worked really well. Kind of a pain to find a few things but worth it.
    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
    sigpic

Comment

From what I'm gathering, magic is more intent than some "abracadabra." So that I can understand. Couple that with the fact that many herbs and foods do indeed have healing properties and I'm starting to get an idea.

But is kitchen witchery a path of it's own or is it only a part of certain paths? And, perhaps this is a boarder question, can I just make it up as I go along? Like, I don't know, do I actually have to say spells out loud and/or in poetic forms? Do I have to say anything at all?

I'll check out that book you were talking about. Thanks so much!

Comment

Most definitely on the intent over the abracadabra stuff. The best way I can describe it with the ritual or if you have to say anything is more kind of a "as you feel is best" kind of thing. Sounds corny but its been my experience its not always needed. Can it help with the intent? Sure. Needed or as an absolute? Meh, not really. Sometimes the intent is strong enough to get you what you need, especially when you're working with stuff like kitchen stuff. As to the making it up...unless you've got a really good knowledge of herbs and whatnot I wouldn't suggest making up new brews and whatnot but as to making up stuff like what to say id say go for it. Sometimes making it personal is the best thing you can do.

Path wise its all up to you. Some people work strictly out of the kitchens in a way, and others use it in situations where its called for. I know that there's a couple other books out there but I can't remember titles off the top of my head. I'm checking on my application at a bookstore nearby tomorrow evening so if I see them again i'll hop back on here and let you know more titles that are a bit more on the reputable side. I did go back to my collection and with what I've got id also suggest maybe grabbing a copy of scott cunningham's encyclopedia of magical herbs if you wanna a. Better list of herbs and their properties. Another good one that also has recipes is "a wiccan formulary and herbal" by a.j. drew.

Hope this helps <3
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

It does! Thanks so much!

Comment

Originally posted by JCorter View Post
            Okay, I did a small search on this site for "kitchen witchcraft" and didn't find too much. I see that a few people practice it, but didn't get much information than that. From what I do understanding, it's cooking with a little magic, but that doesn't explain much to someone who hasn't done it before.
            Its a bit more than cooking with magic--a better name would probably be domestic magic. The kitchen is just a handy spot to start--I whip up just about everything in the kitchen, myself.

Here's a sort-of example of cooking with intent
            Or adding a bit of domestic magic in for the kids
            Household decorating with magic

So, are there any good sites to start with? I didn't find any recently updated pages. Any good books come out recently?

Is there anyone here who practices it?
            This is my kitchen witch library...well, part of it anyway. Most of the books aren't even on witchcraft or magic. There are a couple of decent bloggers out there, though none of them are exclusively about kitchen witchery...and some of them are almost all recipes, which can be annoying. You sort of have to dig and find the ones that you like--google "kitchen witch blogs" and you should get a good list to start at. Before she got popular, Mrs. B's Confessions of a Pagan Soccer Mom had some good ideas...but lately its mostly Pagan commentary--though, she has a book coming out.

I've never found a book I really liked on the subject though...plenty of books have some decent ideas, but I don't know that they are really worth shelling out the money to buy them, unless you find them used.

But is kitchen witchery a path of it's own or is it only a part of certain paths? And, perhaps this is a boarder question, can I just make it up as I go along? Like, I don't know, do I actually have to say spells out loud and/or in poetic forms? Do I have to say anything at all?
            Its a practice that can stand alone or be practiced with another path.

...yes, you can make it up as you go along; and no, you do not have to say spells aloud or in rhyming couplets or anything like that. You certainly CAN, but you don't have to. I often set my spells up to old show tunes. "I'm gonna wash that (man) right outta my (hair)" is the best cleansing spell ever, lol!
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Firstly, I would like you to know that, despite seeing your banner a few times already, thalassa, I never noticed once that it said "musings of a kitchen witch". Feelin' kind of dumb now, actually.

Second, thank you for all that. I'm very new to all this, despite having studied paganism for years, because I took an academic approach to it. All of this is helping very much and look forward to practicing.

Comment

Firstly, I would like you to know that, despite seeing your banner a few times already, thalassa, I never noticed once that it said "musings of a kitchen witch". Feelin' kind of dumb now, actually.

Second, thank you for all that. I'm very new to all this, despite having studied paganism for years, because I took an academic approach to it. All of this is helping very much and look forward to practicing.
                LOL!!! Its okay...and nothing to feel dumb about! Banners are one of those things its easy to overlook.

Hey, ask as many questions as you want! And don't be afraid to do something "wrong" or try something different, or just move a bit outside your comfort zone...its the only way to really grow and improve!
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X