It's D&D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's D&D

I was looking around and noticed that there was not a d&d thread! With 5e in play test, that just baffles me! Well it's ok I'm an uber special kind of dork anyway. So what do we think, or does anyone's else even play? I personally have an affinity for warlocks and tieflings so I tend towards striker... But I have been known to rock a crazy cleric or klepto bard if the feeling moves me. My husband got me started and now he mostly GMs it's his special way of getting to write but not having to do any of the what he calls "work" of "actual" writing....
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Re: It's D&D

what is D&D?

never mind, I googled it. I live under a rock lol
    Last edited by SCoyote; 08 Sep 2012, 15:14.

Comment

some brainiac shot Mystra (though she seems to be back so I might finally get over that) and I was less than pleased by 4E's MM so I've been paying attention to World of Darkness and ignoring most of D&D for a while.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

A good ole gaming thread. I'm not looking forward to 5th Edition Dungeons and Dragons. Considering how badly 4th edition went with player class development and the generic "Play an MMORPG, only on paper!" feel it took and really hammered in...yeah, 5th edition just doesn't seem like a worthwhile venture. If I want the Dungeons and Dragons that feels like innovative game of comradery, adventure, and fantastic storytelling I'll play Pathfinder, as Paizo has done a fantastic job with taking the 3.5 edition Dungeons and Dragons/d20 system, fixed the mechanical issues and added just a enough extra spice to make it fresh without killing the feeling that Dungeons and Dragons had from advanced, through 2nd, and into 3rd/3.5.

Though I'm far more invested in White Wolf studios gaming titles than your standard d20 sword and sorcery tabletop gaming nowadays, but I still play with friends from time to time.

Comment

I stand by my decision that 2e was the best, but I've played a few 4e games, and I didn't mind so much. Haven't tried a full campaign in 4e, just dungeon crawls, though. My crazy schedule doesn't lend itself to full campaigns anymore - and most of my friends who play live on opposite sides of the country these days.

The joys of growing up. All your friends stop coming by to play with you.

Mostly art.

Comment

I was introduced straight into 4e, so I diddnt know it was bad until later, (I grew up under a rock, so I get it) played some pathfinder later with some other friends, but liked the ease of 4e. I play WoD too which is alot more time consuming than a D&D 4e game, (the way we play it.) But 5e if you see some of what has come out and is being playtested and released for 5e, alot of the people who wouldn't leave 3.5 or pathfinder are starting to see that it goes back to alot of the older ideas and game mechanics. I have to say when I heard that I was not pleased, I like 4e (please don't throw rocks at me!) but after alot of what I have found and read, I'm really starting to get excited about it. I think they are projecting 2015 or something like that for actual finalized publications to be released, but the way it is currently going is kinda interresting.

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'm a bit wary of yet another edition change. 4E was introduced to FR in ways that utterly infuriated me. I'm expecting equivalent idiocy with 5E. Granted, they might have better core rules set up but I'm more than a little displeased with WotC's handling of D&D and its attached settings since early 2008. Getting me into 5E will require an exceptional ruleset AND a transition in FR that is handled significantly better than apply "strategic ordinance to major setting elements and jump 100 years".
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                I'm a bit wary of yet another edition change. 4E was introduced to FR in ways that utterly infuriated me. I'm expecting equivalent idiocy with 5E. Granted, they might have better core rules set up but I'm more than a little displeased with WotC's handling of D&D and its attached settings since early 2008. Getting me into 5E will require an exceptional ruleset AND a transition in FR that is handled significantly better than apply "strategic ordinance to major setting elements and jump 100 years".
                I recall that being a giant issue with a lot of friends who were really attached to the FR setting, which I happened to agree with their sentiments of anger at the shoddy treatment of one of the biggest and best known settings that DnD has had, even beyond the standard Greyhawk settings.

I might be interested if, and that's a big IF, they decided to go back to the old Ravenloft setting and refresh it for 5e. Or Planescape, or Spelljammer.

Comment

Being older I never got into the whole D&D thing,but my son was an avid player and Dungeon master after a while. Myself being a Computer geek as far back as the late 70's and early 80's I introduced him to computers very early on,and he learned about them from about 6-7 on,and he taught his younger sister about computers. So,they both got a head start into computers that very much helped them in school later on. These you have to teach your kids about computers early and the schools seem to have made this knowledge mandatory. Both of them are considered by their peers at work and social lives as Computer masters,even though both of them don't even come close to my computer knowledge(but then I am am old fart hardware and software hacker) I tried to teach them about Pagan things,but both are mainly agnostic/Atheist in their world view. Play on you young D&D Kings of the open mind,and keep learning and growing,and moving the world forward.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I'm currently playing a goliath fighter and a tiefling monk of the raven queen, each are played with a separate group of friends and I think it's a great way to keep my imagination active and friendships strong.

But as far as the editions go, I think 4e works well with my pedestrian understanding of the game. I'm not even knowledgeable about FR or any of the other game types.

I tried DMing a 3.5 edition once, but since I was an inexperienced DM guiding inexperienced players, it failed horribly.

Comment

Eh DMing is one of those things you have to just DO as much as you can to really get better at, but I know how you feel. My first foray into the DM world ended with my players all alive, but the whole city and all of its people dead in a rather horrific fashion, (the players managed to orchestrate this, I was not the person who did it...) so I'm a wee bit gun shy myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                      My friends still come by and play with me! and I'm the youngest at 27...

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                        I hear that! I used to play a lot about 10 years ago. We had a regular club on a Sunday plus a private game on a Friday. Nowadays I don't really know anyone who plays and I sometimes really miss it. I was more of a Whitewolf fan than D&D though.
                        http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
                          I hear that! I used to play a lot about 10 years ago. We had a regular club on a Sunday plus a private game on a Friday. Nowadays I don't really know anyone who plays and I sometimes really miss it. I was more of a Whitewolf fan than D&D though.
                          My roommate plays, but two people don't really make a game. We can't find anybody in the small town we live in who want to play. We've been trying to convert his best friend for nearly a year now, and no dice (pun intended).

I miss playing.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                          X