Good Christians ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Christians ...

I know it is a weird title but bear with me ... We all know people that are "real" people ... Someone that is "the salt of the Earth" ... "Real down-home folk" ... In general (I sometimes hate that phrase) those people that we know are of a non-Christian nature or have Pagan tendencies ... But do you know someone who is a real good person and a good Christian? ... I know, "good Christian" defining is an open can of worms too ... Oh well ... Give it a try ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Re: Good Christians ...

Many!
    I have one friend who belongs to the local 'Bible Church'. She is an amazing person, she would give me her last loaf of bread and her last dollar. She honestly feels that Jesus walks beside her everyday. Sometimes I get a little tired of hearing all the "Jesus Loves me" stuff, but she is so genuine that I do admire her devotion. She does not know that I am pagan...I wonder sometimes how she would feel about me if she did.
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

99% of the Christians that I know in real life are good, decent people.

[4:82]

Comment

I've met a number of them. The best example of which is a relative that pretty much anchors the family. She also tends to get swift and pointed results when she prays which amuses the heck out of me.
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Only one actually. My mother - in - law. I don't really know if she has ever had a fight with anybody. If she is having any bad thoughts about a person, she ask Jesus for forgiveness. She would give us everything she has and is always helping. She really is an amazing person.

When everybody is thinking the same, nobody is thinking enough!

Comment

Quite a few, most notably, my grandfather.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I think most of the Christians (meaning the people who actually say they're Christians, not those who are baptised but don't even know what Trinity means) are good people in the sense that they want good to people and want to do what's right etc. The differences appear in how they interpret the bible, the commandments and what priests are saying. But anyway, they still think they're good people and try to do what's right and what I'm to disagree? I can't judge their believes as long as they don't harass me or other people not involved those things.

But from my point of view; there are a lot of Christians who are good people. They sincerely want good to people. But what i find disturbing is that most of the time they set some restrictions and terms for they kindness, understanding and good-willing. (think about gays and lesbians: Most of Christians say that "yes, they can be good people and we love them as they are, but they still should recognize they are making sin&quot To me, that's not how really unconditionally good person acts.

Comment

I've known a great many very good Christians... and also good people of many faiths and none.

I've also known some horrors. To be honest I'm not sure their religion or lack of it, is the cause. I suspect some people are just.... well, nice.
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Well said TP ... I know an elderly couple that just celebrated their 50th anniversary ... They have known my paganacity since day one ... He is a lay minister in his church ... They do so much good works as they can afford in money and energy (which isn't much now days) that if there is no heaven the gods should make one just for them ... And they never have tried to convert me ... We have chats on religion now and then but always civil and respectful ...
                  I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I generally just find most Christians, especially fundamentalists, to be annoying and somewhat ignorant.

They're not bad people, they just annoy me. Especially at the butt-crack o' dawn on Saturday mornings.
                    The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

that is an odd answer for me. most of the christans i knwo are very good people that woudl give you the shirt off their backs to help you altho... some of them (as many have been) have been taught by the church to fear and sometimes even hate people of a pagan path.... so not that that makes them a bad person. but the outcome would not be good if i started that conversation with them. but in ANY other situation they are very good christians and very good people

so I make any sense?? i kinda started babbling didn't I?
                      "Close your eyes, take 20 paces farther than you thought nessesary and just when you think you've lost your way completely.. you'll be there. open your eyes" Alice Hoffman

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=589.msg8424#msg8424 date=1288488026]
                        I know it is a weird title but bear with me ... We all know people that are "real" people ... Someone that is "the salt of the Earth" ... "Real down-home folk" ... In general (I sometimes hate that phrase) those people that we know are of a non-Christian nature or have Pagan tendencies ... But do you know someone who is a real good person and a good Christian? ... I know, "good Christian" defining is an open can of worms too ... Oh well ... Give it a try ...
                        [/quote]
                        Yes, I know several of those. They are not so rare, as one might expect, but not so common as one might hope.

Comment

Ten to one, if I had met good Christians when I was younger...I'd be a good girl. But they were all pretty much complete and utter hypocrites. So yeah. I blame crappy Christians for all us Hell bound peeps. The people I live with are good Christians (JW actually) I like them..alot!
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

My daughter and her husband. Both are Born Again. He's in Bible College, studying to be a youth pasor.

Their friends seem to be pretty normal people as well - some are nicer than others, some a hypocritical while others aren't, some are reasonable while others aren't, some are able to have respect for those who disagree with them, while others don't.

In short, they are just like a bunch of pagans.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

[quote author=Dumuzi link=topic=589.msg8457#msg8457 date=1288496486]
                              99% of the Christians that I know in real life are good, decent people.
                              [/quote]

This.

Aye they can urk me with some of the bible bashing stuff, but in general they are lovely people.
                              "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Working...
                              X