Looking for Advice *Newbie*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for Advice *Newbie*

This is my first time posting here, and I hope this is the right place to post this. I don't know very much about pagan beliefs, and I want to keep an open mind. I've had a few encounters with people that claimed to be pagan and they managed to really scare me off from the idea exploring any sort of pagan belief.

But as I keep searching for some sort of spiritual guidance, I can't seem to find anything that resonates with me. The closest I've felt to something spiritual is during thunderstorms. It's hard to describe, but there is just a sort of energy that seems to fill the air right before a storm that calls to me, and the rumble of thunder gets my pulse racing. When talking to friends of different faiths quite a few of them have said similar things about when they feel close to their god/when they're meditating.

I know that I'm asking a pretty big question without much context to go on, but what does this sound like, if anything, to you? I'm embarrassed to admit that I know next to nothing about pagan beliefs except that nature is somehow involved (right? 0.o), and I hoped someone might be able to tell me or show me where I might find some more info?

Re: Looking for Advice *Newbie*

Being a pagan has a different definition for just about anyone who uses the word to describe themselves. It is a really broad huge umbrella term. I am not really the person who is going to tell you "what you are," especially since going off of what you have given as explanation is not much. (sorry if this means you want me to go away now...) luckily you have stumbled in here, and there is piles of info all over the dagum site. browse the forums, and ask specific-ish questions where they crop up and most of us will be glad to throw some info (if we know or can find it) at you! You really have stumbled acroos at least a great community, even if you end up eventually deciding that you are'nt a "pagan." (Who needs a bloody word/label anyway? ) The best advice I can give you is read about everything, (even if you don't think it's relevant.) You never know what there is out there to learn, reading is your very best friend. Reading and keeping track of things, try keeping a journal of things that interest or influence you. that way you can keep track of what you feel makes sense and what doesn't, if you like this philosophy and hate another, or what you need to do more research on or ask questions about. Thats my advice .
    Last edited by Maria de Luna; 07 Nov 2012, 14:13.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

The best advice I can give is: never stop reading, never stop researching, and never stop trying to do things and practice. The stuff you're talking about--feeling energy, a connection to nature, et al. is pretty common to most Pagan revival religions, and many other ones besides. Nature spirituality is pretty broad.
      I have my own definitions of things, which I'm happy to share if you're curious. But definitions and labels are a tiny part, if anything at all. The important thing is to never stop learning.

Sounds generalist as fuck, I know. But you are, as you said, new. Basic stuff goes first.

Comment

Well, the way I found that Paganism was my path was by studying many religions. I took a Humanities class which gave me a brief overview, then I read books on the specific ones that interested me (mostly Ancient Egyptian, Buddhism, and Wicca). I still hold an interest for ancient Egyptian culture. I love Buddhist philosophy, but could not fully commit myself to the lifestyle. With Wicca, I felt it was too structured and I'm too eclectic. So, that's when I stumbled into eclectic Paganism.
        My point is, just browse around, read a bit about religions, and see what resonates with you. Nature and thunderstorms will always be there for you :-) But if you're looking for a religion, my suggestion would be to just learn about them. It's actually pretty fun. ^_^

Comment

Working...
        X