What are your gods and goddesses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your gods and goddesses?

I'm sure there are already many old threads about this, so forgive me.

But, what are your gods and goddesses? AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, why? I would love to know what drew you to your god/goddess and why you believe in them?

It's taking me a while to find my god/goddess, and I'm not even sure if I'll ever fully believe in a specific god/goddess. One thing is for sure: I believe in some high power. Something that resides in all of us and everything around us. Something that listens.

Lately I've taken up the idea of the Triple Goddess. Although it is a fairly new idea, there are other very similar goddesses from the past with different names. I believe the Triple Goddess could just be another name for a different time.

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, I think this is meant to go under "Religion and Spirituality Discussion".

Re: What are your gods and goddesses?

Lillith came and snatched me up earlier this year. she is a goddess of justice and equality. She is usually equality for women but... I'm gay so I think that allows me to fall under her jurisdiction. Native amerocans viewed homosexuals as two spirits. A male and female spirit in one body. She comes with storms and owls. I have always had a fascination and surge of power with storms. My bf has an owl spirit with him. I have a hawk. They are solar/lunar opposites. I am much like an owl who needs to learn to be a bit more like a hawk.

It was after lillith showed herself to me that I was able to realize how much of my life and spirituality lined up with her. It's quite fascinating to me at least lol.

Comment

Mine are the sun, and the rain, and the sea, and the forest. I worship nature, no gods for me.

Mostly art.

Comment

I'm a bit withe V here, in the recognition of the natural world--Sea, Sky, Mountain, etc. No gods for me in the literal sense. But I generally associate the [i]spirit[i] of those things with traditionally associated with deities--Thalassa, Psamathe, Neptune, Sedna...mostly water deities since I live by the beach. I also recognize thse deities that are associated with more *human* forces--like Love, War, etc. I don't see any of them as actual literal entities in need of worship, but I do consider them to be ideas that can be worked with and that deserve respect.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Thor. I also respect, if not fully trust, Odin/Woden.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            I'm a bit withe V here, in the recognition of the natural world--Sea, Sky, Mountain, etc. No gods for me in the literal sense. But I generally associate the [i]spirit[i] of those things with traditionally associated with deities--Thalassa, Psamathe, Neptune, Sedna...mostly water deities since I live by the beach. I also recognize thse deities that are associated with more *human* forces--like Love, War, etc. I don't see any of them as actual literal entities in need of worship, but I do consider them to be ideas that can be worked with and that deserve respect.
            I kinda agree with Thal, I just didn't use so many words. And I don't vocally or verbally recognize deities, I just respect their aspects - like Thal said, Love, War, Water Gods etc.

Mostly art.

Comment

Djnn: That is so cool! I always heard that Native Americans were okay with homosexuality, but I didn't know the whole story behind it. That is really beautiful. I'm glad you found something that relates to you. I hope I find mine.

- - - Updated - - -

thalassa: Nature and the world around us definitely need respect. You are right. To me, it doesn't matter if you worship a God or not, as long as you are doing good in this world : )

- - - Updated - - -

DrStrange: May I ask why your gods are Thor, Odin, and Woden?

Comment

My gods?? Oh, crap, I have many! But those I'm primary "working with" are:
                Tonatiuh, because he's the sun god, the god of the current era, and of course because the sun is a very important thing to have, without it we would not be here. Actually, I didn't choose him in a "you-seems-kind-I-wanna-have-you-as-a-patron" kind of way. He just came. Suddenly.
                And also Tlaloc, the rain god. Pretty active in Denmark where I live. (We get lots of rain)

So rain and sun gods for me primary. They are aspects of nature, and living creatures needs them.
                (And yes! They are aztec deities, if you didn't already know.)
                ~ flowers are our only garments
                only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Luna, ancient Titan, not actually a Goddess. She is the Moon, not just allied with the Moon. She's always been there for me, since I was a child. I would look up in the sky and see Her bright silver eye shining down. I always felt protected, watched over, loved even. I left Her for many years, and only recently rededicated myself to Her. I feel more whole now, more centered and settled.

When I drifted from Luna, I found a home with the Gods of the Underworld - Hades, Persephone, the Guedde, Oya, Anubis. Hades and Persephone were my primary patrons for many, many years. I died when I was 11 and was brought back, and since then I wanted more than anything to serve the dead. Unfortunately, time and circumstances didn't allow for an actual career in mortuary sciences, so I became an armchair death advocate. Not in the sense that I want everyone to die, right now, but I educated myself in burial practices, what happens to dead bodies, and the mythology and taboos surrounding death. I try to shed some light on the subject and make it accessible and less uncomfortable. While I had to back away from Hades and Persephone due to my depression continually getting worse, I still offer my knowledge as a devotional to Them.

Coyote is my spirit misguide. I don't know why I ended up so... blessed by Coyote. I don't remember if I started being my own worst enemy after Coyote came into my life, or if that's why he was attracted to me in the first place.

There are others, always others. I'm a sort-of-hard polytheist, so I do believe in all Gods, but only worship a few.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

It's taking me a while to find my god/goddess, and I'm not even sure if I'll ever fully believe in a specific god/goddess. One thing is for sure: I believe in some high power. Something that resides in all of us and everything around us. Something that listens.
                    This is almost exactly how I feel, except I don't feel like I ever need to find a specific god/goddess...the general names God and Goddess are enough for me to be happy. I'm comfortable without a clear image in my head. (I do have a certain way I imagine the Goddess looking though.) I beleive in balance but I tend to lean towards the Goddess in sprituality. I think it might be because of my upbringing that I still have a problem with worshipping a "God" figure. But yeah, I don't really have any clear cut "deity" that I worship. I think all gods are a reflection of a single divine...thing. Whatever that thing may be.
                    Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle. It's a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

Don't have specific patrons. I support a concept and am polite to a host of Powers as it suits me. I will credit the Lord of Hosts with a twisted sense of humor sometimes and I work with him slightly more than others but generally, I'll go to whoever I think is relevant to a concern or I'll handle it without calling divinities.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
                        I'm sure there are already many old threads about this, so forgive me.

But, what are your gods and goddesses? AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, why? I would love to know what drew you to your god/goddess and why you believe in them?
                        I used to be very structured in my beliefs of the Germanic pantheon--Thor, Odin, all that. What drew me to them initially was my ancestral background, and it took me awhile to realize that my heathen path was a form of ancestor worship and not my own personal spirituality. Since them I've become very folk-based. I believe in spiritual things that are entirely personal and unique to the experiences of myself and home, while also appreciating the gift of the past gods and their ideals. Analyzing these spiritual beings isn't of the utmost importance, what matters are the interactions that happen in my yard and not what they do or who they are elsewhere.

Which is sort of how it was done before, anyway.

Comment

Comment

Sarkana: Very interesting. I've always been drawn to gods and godesses that have ties to nature. I think I'll look into Tonatiuh and Tlaloc, or at least similar gods. : )

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
                              Sarkana: Very interesting. I've always been drawn to gods and godesses that have ties to nature. I think I'll look into Tonatiuh and Tlaloc, or at least similar gods. : )
                              It is rarely to find an aztec god or goddess who haven't anything to do with nature.
                              I think almost every culture with a polytheistic pantheon has something similar to a sun deity and a rain deity.
                              ~ flowers are our only garments
                              only songs make our pain subside ~

Comment

Working...
                              X