Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unpopular Opinions.

I figured this would be kind of fun.

Basically all you do is post an opinion you have that is considered unpopular to the general masses.
    As this forum isn't a collection of cookie cutter zombies, I would imagine quite a few of you have
    some very unpopular opinions.

Here's a few of mine:

I actually like the Insane Clown Posse.
    Nicolas Cage is a pretty good actor.
    I liked the Star Wars Prequels [excluding Attack of the Clones]
    "The fire could not be tamed with the wind,
    nor the wind suppressed by the flames.
    As blending the Light with the Dark
    merely results in Grey." -Ville Friman

Re: Unpopular Opinions.

Granted this isn't particularly unpopular if you actually work retail but the Friday and Weekend immediately following Thanksgiving should be legally restricted to something like 6 hour workdays for all retail budinesses and this restriction should be held for the next 300 years minimum. I enjoy my materialistic society as much as the next person but I draw the line at people crowding retail locations at midnight to get discounts. Kill Black Friday. Kill it with Fire.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I have an opinion that seems like it may not be popular in the Pagan community. That is, that the things silly people come here looking for...magic, flying, controlling the elements, telekinesis etc. Are an inevitability, and not quite as immature and silly as many would consider.

Comment

Some of mine:
        -Christopher Walken was a sexy man in his earlier years.
        -Robert Pattinson seems like a cool guy, but not a good actor.
        -I think red back jumping spiders are adorable.
        -I'm self conscious in the clothes I wear, but not in my bare skin.
        -There are too many people on this Earth and the number is growing. At this rate the Earth's resources will run out. So although it seems awful, I feel that humans are long overdue to a large wipe out. Unless, of course, we can find another planet to move half our population to.

Comment

All babies and kids aren't cute or spectacularly smart. Some are dumb and ugly.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I dislike Johnny Depp's most recent movies, and I wish he would just stop :-/

Comment

Oh boy, here I go:

-I kinda like Metallica's "Load" and "Reload" albums.

-I agree with Kevin Smith about critics paying their way.

-I think Lady Gaga in her current form is overrated, but was awesome before she was signed.

-I think the Pagans who reject having to pay for anything, structure, and happen to demand the most from the community they refuse to take part in are what has effectively killed the movement.

-I think the Pagans who criticize televangelists but hold people published by Lllewellyn in the same regard some Christians hold the televangelists are hypocrites.

-I think the Wild Hunt is the Pagan equivalent of Glen Beck's show due to fear-mongering, othering, drawing loose correlations and blowing them out of proportion, purposefully misleading the reader, and a fairly anti-Christian sentiment. If he ever saw this he'll probably try to use it to play the victim because he seems like that type of guy.

-I think there's too much emphasis on motherhood in the Pagan community.

-Deep down, I feel we'll never see a solid definition of Pagan for the same reason you'll never see a solid definition of punk culture. It's to focus on how the individual's definition of being "real" for personal validation and to avoid deep examination.

-On that note, I see few differences in the music countercultures and the Pagan community.

-Unless you plan on pursuing an MA or a PhD I feel college in general is overrated and not well understood.

-I suspect many businesses say people are "not trained for the field" because they don't want to hire those who are trained (most of my bosses didn't even have business degrees, they had psych or sociology degrees). They also seem to think college is a job training school.

-I feel performing artists purposefully isolate their audience from the performance so the artist can feel smug, not because the audience "doesn't get it". I speak from the experience of dealing with them and pursuing a degree in performing arts.

-I get the strong impression Dr. Who is and always has been a nerd soap opera.

Let the nuclear attack begin...
              my etsy store
              My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
              surrounded by plush, downy things,
              ill prepared, but willing,
              to descend."

Comment

I think that PURE capitalism is a really bad idea.

I like Annette better than Tarja. (nightwish female leads)

I don't feel like giving money to most charities helps the people who need it most.

I think coffee is gross.

I think there should be an application to breed, (for people.)

I think that the fines for violating labor laws should stack in such a way that it is more expensive to violate the laws than to follow them... (some do but apparently not all of them...)

I think that certain people should not be able to drive regardless of how they do on the driver's tests.

And I am not Sorry!
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

We should let third world countries fend for themselves and only provide them with aid that benefits us, such as giving them contraception and education to help reduce their populations (because you know the world is overcrowded and people will emigrate from poorer to richer countries) and to help stop the spread of diseases like AIDS.
                  Once their populations are smaller (due to deaths and use of contraception) and better educated, they should be more able to grow enough food for and generally look after themselves.
                  So being cruel to be kind (Admitedly mostly kind to us, as for example we would have more money if we stopped trying to feed Africa).

Comment

Like Medusa, I also don't like babies. Kids, yes. Babies, god no.

Comment

I believe that people who have natural children are selfish and irresponsible, much like people who buy pure-bred dogs and cats. I think a moratorium should be placed on breeding humans, cats and dogs until all available children, cats/kittens & puppies/dogs have been successfully homed.

I think it's admirable that Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt chose to share their fortune with children they essentially bought from other countries. If I was insanely wealthy and liked children I would do the same.

I do not feel that old people should receive government subsidies simply for becoming old. I believe they should be rewarded if they accomplished something for the country to merit payment.

In the same vein, I do not believe people should receive government subsidies because they are too disabled to work.

I think our current child labor laws should have a lower age restriction, and public school should become optional.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Apart from the groundbreaking special effects, I think The Matrix series is ridiculously overrated.

I don't think humans are an inherently monogomous species and think polyamory should be supported more in society (with the obvious provisos of being safe/not spreading nasty diseases)
                        ~J

"The very young do not always do as they are told."

Comment

Definitely not popular with a lot of people, considering the aging population, but I definitely thing the official minimum age to start receiving public pensions should be raised to at least 70. 67 isn't good enough. Those systems were set up when life expectancy was much lower. If they continue at the rate they're going, there isn't going to be ANY money for my generation at all. Yes, people will have to work longer, and it can be hard to work longer when you're older, but I also think we have to rethink how we organise our work. Much as you rise up the ladder and gain more responsibility as you continue your career, perhaps you could wind it down before retirement. Anyway, it's important, and if it's not done soon, we're all screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by AL!CE View Post
                            We should let third world countries fend for themselves and only provide them with aid that benefits us, such as giving them contraception and education to help reduce their populations (because you know the world is overcrowded and people will emigrate from poorer to richer countries) and to help stop the spread of diseases like AIDS.
                            Once their populations are smaller (due to deaths and use of contraception) and better educated, they should be more able to grow enough food for and generally look after themselves.
                            So being cruel to be kind (Admitedly mostly kind to us, as for example we would have more money if we stopped trying to feed Africa).
                            I actually had a discussion about this with someone not too long ago and I totally agree with you. By us giving them food and water, we're only letting them live long enough to breed and increase in number. But they still can't take care of themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
                              I actually had a discussion about this with someone not too long ago and I totally agree with you. By us giving them food and water, we're only letting them live long enough to breed and increase in number. But they still can't take care of themselves.
                              Ehhh... It's a little more complicated than that, but off-topic. I'd like to see this being discussed as a separate thread and see what everyone thinks.

Comment

Working...
                              X