so many versions?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so many versions?!

While scouring through the multiple pages of edda publishings, i noticed the options were vast. I have read a few threads mentioning which versions of the edda's to read (heathen resources thread,Intro to Asatru thread, and various recommended links) ... but a lot of them don't have the same translator. I'm wondering if there is a real difference between the various translators, and if so... is there a preferred translation? Is this more of a personal preference thing? I assume a different translator brings a different mindset to the material he translates.

Right now I'm looking at the prose edda - translations by Brodeur, Byock, Larrington, Anderson... ect

I'm sure i could research the difference between these translations, but i figured i would poke around here first.

Thanks

Re: so many versions?!

If I recall correctly, one thread mentions the Bellows translation, which is available online, so I think that is why it was a popular one to use
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Picked up the byock version... it was all the university library had : /

Comment

well, that seems like the best one! If ya can get it and can't get another, then there is one clear answer! that should be a good place to start! let that lead you to tother places, pick other things up as you can (check out libraries too!)
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

you make a great point! thanks for the help : ]

Comment

Working...
          X