The Goddess Freyja

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goddess Freyja

So, I'm new to this whole identifying with a Deity thing, I've never done it before. However, recently Freyja has really been calling to me. I've done a little research on the tinterwebs but I'm not entirely sure where to start looking.

Things I know about her:
    She has a cloak that enables her to use falcon wings
    Her familiars are cats (some websites i've found said they were grey?)
    She was originally depicted as the quintessential house wife, but somewhere along the lines Frigga took over that title
    She is a member of the Vanir (which i need to delve into more)
    She and Odin split the slain at the end of a battle and half went with Odin to Valhalla and the other half went with Freyja.

And thats about all I can find, its pretty much similar info in the web pages ive looked at, just worded differently.

So, can anyone point me in the direction of links, books, or somewhere I can find some more information so i can start to wrap my head around her?

Re: The Goddess Freyja

Freya is the sister of Freyr and is more about what womenhood is before marriage to me. She is fertility, beauty, strong and very strongly tied to battle and magic. She is assocaited with cats and Amber (it's said she cries Amber tears for her lost love). She wears a one of a kind, beautiful necklace made by the dwarves who she slept with to get it.

To me she is being sure of yourself, comfortable with your sexuality, strongly expects you to practice your witchcraft if you are into that. It's thought she worked with Odin on the runes so they can be learned to honor her as well. I usually make tea offerings to Holda and Frigga but I like to give Freya alcohol. She's about learing about oneself, sexuality and magic. She also expects you to stand up for yourself and say what you mean.

Comment

Its no wonder Im beginning to identify with her, Im at that stage in my life where Im beginning to stand up for myself.

Thanks Ula, is there any books you could recommend to find the information?

Comment

Originally posted by Almost_lost View Post
        Its no wonder Im beginning to identify with her, Im at that stage in my life where Im beginning to stand up for myself.

I have never really read any books on her specfically and can't recommend anything off hand. I will keep an eye out though.

Comment

Well, how did you find out that information about her?

Comment

I have read stuff online and my own experience with her.

Comment

Originally posted by Almost_lost View Post

I;d recommend "Freyja, Lady, Vanadis" by Patricia M. Lafayllve. It's a short book but it has a lot of good info. on Freyja.

Comment

Oo, Thanks, I'll check it out, see if Amazon has it

Comment

Freya has many attributes. Sex and love are one of her attributes. Magic (seidr), prosperity, war, etc.. are also attributed to her. She is a powerful Goddess as can be seen in her warring features. She is also known as the Bright One, the Giver, One who makes the sea swell. She wears the necklace or belt of Brisingamen. She has the important function as a priestess of the Gods. Its also suggested that she is associated with Cannabis (Ganja, Marijuana etc.

I am going to attempt to dedicate myself to this great Goddess

Comment

My blog
                    On Instagram
                    On Witches' Voice

Comment

I've been looking a little more into her, and the more I discover, the more I love her and the more sure I am that she's mine My housemate has a lot of norse mythology books and books about vikings, I plan to work through them all, but at the mo it's finding time.

Comment

I just got into Freyja as well. I like her 'don't take s***' attitude, not to mention her magic/seeing abilities. Plus, she's Goddess of the Vikings and the half the fallen end up in her hall... seriously, that's saying something about her. She's second only to Odin (traditionally, but still first for me).

Comment

Keep in mind though, the Norse pantheon has a lot more history to it than the Vikings. The Vikings were just a small group in a large society, to go a viking literally meant going sea-fairing. And not everybody was a Viking, so try and break free of just looking at the Vikings and find the different times of Asatru beliefs as well. Good luck working with Freyja!
                          White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                          sigpic
                          In Days of yore,
                          From Britain's shore
                          Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                          And planted firm Britannia's flag
                          On Canada's fair domain.
                          Here may it wave,
                          Our boast, our pride
                          And joined in love together,
                          The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                          The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I'm quite fond of Freyja myself here's the info that i know...
                            she is most commonly associated with -love -sexuality -beauty -fertility -gold -war and -death
                            Freyja rides a chariot pulled by 2 cats and is the owner of the necklace Brisingamen. She also possesses a cloak of falcon feathers.
                            She is married to the God Oor, which for whom she cries red golden (amber) tears for when he goes on long travels, as she misses him.
                            With her Husband she has 2 daughters, named Hnoss and Gersemi.
                            Freyja is also known to be "the most glorious" of the goddesses, as her brother Freyr is known to be "the most glorious" of the gods, in NM.
                            She is invoked most commonly in matters of love and fertility...
                            And like other members have already pointed out she receives half of the ones that die in battle...the other half goes to Odin.
                            i usually do most of my research online....so no good book idea on this matter, but im sure others will

Comment

Another symbol no one's mentioned yet are pigs: like Freyr had his magic golden boar, some Freya's names and titles are tied to the fertile little creatures.
                              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Working...
                              X