Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Order of Bards, Ovates & Druids Training Course?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Order of Bards, Ovates & Druids Training Course?

Has anyone here done the first level of the Order of Bards, Ovates & Druids training course? druidry.org
    I would like to get your opinion of it before I invest time, energy and money. I know I can the get their intro sampler course, but thought I'd solicit some advice before even doing that. I feel drawn to the Druid path, so would appreciate any advice or other resources for my education. Thanks so much! Brian (njsquarebear)
    peace,
    Brian (njsquarebear)

Re: Order of Bards, Ovates & Druids Training Course?

I'd appreciate any input on this as well. I was actually just going over their site a few days ago and I've been thinking strongly about at least ordering the sample pack to get a feel for what they're about.

Comment

I just perused the website and listened to the audio clips. This looks to be a beautiful tradition presented in a very accessible way, and something that would not conflict with anything I believe or do. It is a bit of an investment, and an experience that to my mind would be best shared. I wonder if there are groves near DC in the states.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

This interests me, as well. I do wish they had a free introductory package, so I could at least get a feel for how everything is presented, and a general overview of their practice is before investing money. I recently had a friend purchase their introductory-level package and I will ask her about it after she's gotten it and relay her answer here, if any.
        Everything I post is to be assumed UPG unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by Inucirrus View Post
          This interests me, as well. I do wish they had a free introductory package, so I could at least get a feel for how everything is presented, and a general overview of their practice is before investing money. I recently had a friend purchase their introductory-level package and I will ask her about it after she's gotten it and relay her answer here, if any.
          It said they would refund the money if you were not satisfied with the introductory pack. And that they would refund the full package price up to three months after purchase. I do think I would want to do this with others, though.

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
            It said they would refund the money if you were not satisfied with the introductory pack. And that they would refund the full package price up to three months after purchase. I do think I would want to do this with others, though.
            I guess my concern is whether the material is written in such a way that one would retain your interest till completion - as a solitary using it - for a full year or however long it takes you to complete the level of Bard. I agree with "nbdy" that this - or any other "correspondence course" - would be best done with others... for the sense of community, to learn with/from each other, and to encourage each other to "stick with it". I'm thinking of doing the version which is both the cds and the books, because I'm a person which needs the reinforcement of both. The cds - from the clips - appear to be beautifully put together pairing spoken word to music.
            peace,
            Brian (njsquarebear)

Comment

That is the package that I thought would be best as well. I think if this were done as a group there would be a price reduction because materials would be shipped together, or perhaps some materials could be shared, etc. Perhaps I will contact them and see what sort of arrangement could be made on a "grove starter" package. I would think at least 5 to start a grove, so probably twice that many to start the group. No small thing, and certainly not to be rushed into.

Comment

That is the package that I thought would be best as well. I think if this were done as a group there would be a price reduction because materials would be shipped together, or perhaps some materials could be shared, etc. Perhaps I will contact them and see what sort of arrangement could be made on a "grove starter" package. I would think at least 5 to start a grove, so probably twice that many to start the group.
                No small thing, and certainly not to be rushed into.
                I took this quote from their website:
                "Can a friend or partner follow the course with me?

peace,
                Brian (njsquarebear)

Comment

I have seriously considered doing the course, even if it is just for a new perspective. I think its the druidry part that is preventing the course study.
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Well, yeah. I started looking for something in the eastern U.S. since that is where I live -- didn't make much sense to me to be studying the lore and forests of Ireland or Wales when I don't live there. I quickly discovered that the supposedly druid ritual at one U.S. site was surprisingly Wiccan, while another insisted on hard polytheism, the two disagreed on a number of major points and both were quite different from OBOD. So I decided to check out druidry and found that nobody really knows much of anything about it; in it's contemporary form it is sort of a made up thing, what people over the last 200 or so years think it should have been, basically. And much of that, from what archaeologists have managed to piece together is just plain wrong. I neither want nor need to lay claim to a historical name to legitimize what I do.

Comment

That's the reason I have not done it too, instead of magical books on druidry, I found a few historical ones, and yeah, the specifics aren't there. There is no way to know, even most of the druid "orders" will say that there is not really a historical context for what they do. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't trying to be something it isn't, ya know?

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                        That's the reason I have not done it too, instead of magical books on druidry, I found a few historical ones, and yeah, the specifics aren't there. There is no way to know, even most of the druid "orders" will say that there is not really a historical context for what they do. I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't trying to be something it isn't, ya know?
                        I don't understand it as trying to be something they aren't so much as trying to fill the gap that was left behind by the destruction of Europe's earth based spirituality.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeran View Post
                          I don't understand it as trying to be something they aren't so much as trying to fill the gap that was left behind by the destruction of Europe's earth based spirituality.
                          I think what matters is whatever meaning it holds for the participants. It appears to be a beautiful program and inspirational community.

Comment

I think what matters is whatever meaning it holds for the participants. It appears to be a beautiful program and inspirational community.
                            That I agree with, I just would not feel right trying to call myself a druid, I would feel like I was lying to myself. That said, I do keep coming back to the program and looking at it and sort of wanting to take the course. There are however 0 active groves in my area from any of the traditions really.

~Jim Butcher

Comment

So, as a newbie, I've been looking at the similarities and differences between OBOD a.k.a. Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids (druidry.org) and ADF a.k.a. (adf.org). ADF has a training course, as well as OBOD. ADF has many member groves across the U.S... worldwide 71 according to their website. OBOD has only 7 (public) groups in the U.S... worldwide over 100 groves and seed groups, according to their website.

A member of both groups, John Michael Greer, has written (what appears to be) a good analysis of the differences between both groups:
                              adf.org/about/basics/adf-and-obod.html
                              Both their 'structure' and 'philosophy' differ greatly. It is worth a read if contemplating their instructional courses. As a member of both groups he points out each of their 'strengths' and 'weaknesses'.

This is probably not news to the Druids on this forum, but for anyone else, I did find these two other smaller Druid (I believe?) groups:

Henge of Keltria (keltria.org)
                              Feri Tradition (feritradition.com)
                              peace,
                              Brian (njsquarebear)

Comment

Working...
                              X