Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan or not......

Hi there

Wasn't really sure where to start this thread so thought here would be the best bet.

A number of years ago I decided to become Buddhist (I am 29 now decided to be Buddhist at 22) and at the time it seemed like the right idea, I did everything right, I researched it read some books and decided that a lot of what they believe all makes sense.

But.....

Just recently ive doubted by decision and have started to lean more towards Pagan traditions however I don't agree with everything I have read concerning some of the beliefs, such as believing in a god or goddess. I am a firm believer in the planet and all things alive and I celebrate winter solstice as apposed to Christmas.

So long story short, I wondered if someone could help me with my problem. Is there a pagan path that doesn't follow a god or goddess?

Look forward to hearing from someone.

David

Re: Pagan or not......

Why must you follow a specific path? Why not pick and choose what makes sense to you and build your own practices from there?

Comment

Pagan has so many branches, I can't even count! But I think the core belief of Paganism is to celebrate the Earth. Some Pagans believe in magick, deities, higher powers, etc. While others don't.

A lot of people don't exactly fall into Wicca, Celtic Paganism, Heathenism, or any of the other branches. In which case they'll call themselves an "Eclectic Pagan". That means you take a bit of this belief, and a bit of that belief, and mix it together. It's pretty much what you believe to be right. It's not a strict path. It's your own path for you to discover.

For example, I believe that magick very well exists. I believe in crystal metaphysics and zodiac signs, and I practice in it. I believe in ritual magick, but I don't practice it. I don't believe in gods and goddesses, but I believe there could be a higher power. I acknowledge the traditional Pagan holidays, so I celebrate it. But most importantly, I celebrate the Earth and what it provides. So I would call myself an Eclectic Pagan.

There is no strict guideline for being Pagan.

Comment

There is no dogmatic set of ideas you must subscribe to in order to be a pagan. There are many, many different "sects" of paganism, and plenty (if not most) of us pick and choose whatever feels right and makes sense. It's really more of a lucrative inner path than a set in stone religious ideology There are atheist pagans, monotheist pagans, agnostic pagans, pantheist pagans, buddhist pagans, wiccans, so much more and everything in between. For example, I have recently begun to identify myself as a pagan, but I don't literally believe in all of the gods/entities I connect with. I think that they are psycho-mythical archetypes that exist as parts of my own nature and allow me to better connect with/explore myself and what is around me. My philosophy tends to border on the Eastern Mysticism professed by Hinduism and Buddhism. I meditate, perform Earth based rituals for the Green Man, read loads of mythology, and loves me some science books (Carl Sagan was boss :P). At the same time, there are pagans who deeply believe in their gods/godesses as literal deities, pagans who work with crystals to perform magick, pagans who strictly adhere to some such mythical tradition or another, neo-druids, etc. etc. etc. There is much to be explored under the umbrella of paganism. There is no official definition of what a neo-pagan is at this point, but I think that those who are know it in their hearts.
        So, in other words, just go with what feels right to you. Good luck, sir

Comment

Originally posted by DeadJellyfish View Post
          Pagan has so many branches, I can't even count! But I think the core belief of Paganism is to celebrate the Earth. Some Pagans believe in magick, deities, higher powers, etc. While others don't.

A lot of people don't exactly fall into Wicca, Celtic Paganism, Heathenism, or any of the other branches. In which case they'll call themselves an "Eclectic Pagan". That means you take a bit of this belief, and a bit of that belief, and mix it together. It's pretty much what you believe to be right. It's not a strict path. It's your own path for you to discover.

For example, I believe that magick very well exists. I believe in crystal metaphysics and zodiac signs, and I practice in it. I believe in ritual magick, but I don't practice it. I don't believe in gods and goddesses, but I believe there could be a higher power. I acknowledge the traditional Pagan holidays, so I celebrate it. But most importantly, I celebrate the Earth and what it provides. So I would call myself an Eclectic Pagan.

There is no strict guideline for being Pagan.
          noun
          one of a people or community observing a polytheistic religion, as the ancient Romans and Greeks. Synonyms: polytheist.
          a person who is not a Christian, Jew, or Muslim. Synonyms: heathen, gentile; idolator; nonbeliever.
          an irreligious or hedonistic person.
          a person deemed savage or uncivilized and morally deficient.
          adjective
          pertaining to the worship or worshipers of any religion that is neither Christian, Jewish, nor Muslim. Synonyms: heathen, heathenish, idolatrous, polytheistic. Antonyms: Christian, Jewish, Muslim, monotheistic.

Dictionary.com

Earth-worship isn't a prerequisite of the definition of paganism, although it is a common subgroup. Same for deity worship.

Comment

That definition doesn't really take into account neo-paganism though, and I think it's fair to say that that respect for ,and the desire to find spirituality within, nature is one of the core concepts on which the modern neo-pagan movement grew out of. I'd certainly be a little weirded out if I met someone who called themself a pagan but had no desire to connect to or care for the environment, it just feels fundamentally contradictory.

Comment

While people posture and preen, I offer the following as an answer to your question:

No, I can think of no Pagan religions that are atheistic.

However, you're already coming from atheism. Why take a step backwards?

Why not check out Secular Humanism for a morality system that calls on no deities?
              "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

I was very interested to read all these posts, and this was the first post I have done in this forum and the responses have been fantastic! Thank you! The post concerning Eclectic Pagans was probably exactly what I was looking for . I am very interested in religion as a whole, but have a great deal of respect for Pagans and all that they believe in. It is an ancient religion with ideals that may have change of the hundreds of years but the core principals have always stayed the same.

Also the post on Secular Humanism was also interesting, it is something that I have also looked into and believe in. Using the Eclectic Pagan principle I don't see how why I couldn't believe in a little of both. Secular Humanism believes that we can be ethical and moral without religion......well of course we can! Being human is all about having the right to chose and I don't believe we need religion to govern our choices but they can of course sometimes guide us if needed. But I also believe there is much more to life than what we can see in front of our eyes, I refuse to believe that when we die that is it!

You have all been a fantastic help in making my decision and Pagan it is, I think truly that's what it always was but had some self doubt concerning some aspects.
                Last edited by daveharrison1983; 02 Feb 2013, 23:47.

Comment

You're welcome! I'm glad all of these responses helped. The joy (and sometimes frustration) of being a Pagan is the exploration. You hear so many sides and POVs from books, people, and the internet. If someone is talking to you about their journey in Paganism and what they believe and what to do, and it just doesn't sit right in your heart, you don't need to agree with them; you can still call yourself Pagan.

You should really post more and involve yourself more on PF! You so polite and make great conversation! c:

Comment

I'm glad we could be of help

Comment

I have failed.
                      "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                        I have failed.
                        lol...No. Surely there was no pass or fail? I was never an atheist to begin with not really

- - - Updated - - -

You're welcome! I'm glad all of these responses helped. The joy (and sometimes frustration) of being a Pagan is the exploration. You hear so many sides and POVs from books, people, and the internet. If someone is talking to you about their journey in Paganism and what they believe and what to do, and it just doesn't sit right in your heart, you don't need to agree with them; you can still call yourself Pagan.

You should really post more and involve yourself more on PF! You so polite and make great conversation! c:
                        Thanks! I shall try to do so in the future

Comment

Regardless of the various traditions official perspectives, there are a number of perspectives on deity in Pagan communities that range from atheist/agnostic to hard polytheism...or, people like me, that just don't care what gods are, where they come from, or if they actually exist or not--what matters is if the practice works for you (pragmatic Paganism FTW!!). You might be interested in taking a look at Humanistic Paganism, Naturalistic Pantheism, Natural Polytheism, or my own idea of Spiritual Bioregionalism.
                          Last edited by thalassa; 03 Feb 2013, 04:29.
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

I go with my own definition for paganism. I base this on the original Latin term paganuspagan is as follows: An identity, attitude, or worldview that places significant (and, usually, sacred) emphasis on the natural world, the cycle of the seasons, and agricultural and pastoral cycles.
                            It does not necessarily have to be religious or spiritual (though it often is), and does not necessarily include gods and goddesses (though it usually does).
                            Consequently, I suggest that Neopaganism is defined as a recent revival of classical pagan thought; it's a modern form of Pagan Revivalism--which I would describe as extending as far back as the 18th century.
                            There is significant overlap with Polytheism (if indigenous) and Polytheistic Revivalism (if a revival), but it is not an absolute thing; not all polytheists are pagan, and not all pagans are polytheists. And not all of either are revivalists.
                            Last edited by Louisvillian; 03 Feb 2013, 04:28.

Comment

I concur. I hope to see more of you around these parts, Dave :3

Comment

Working...
                              X