• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cycling

"Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Re: Cycling

Awesome! Congrats
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Pretty sure this thread will be dominated solely by TS and I...

:P

Mostly art.

Comment

Many years ago, my mother used to ride a big, old fashioned 'sit up and beg' bike that belonged to her parents' shop. At night it was lit with a paraffin lamp. When you rode downhill you had to lean to one side to avoid the flames....

PS congrats on completing such an impressive ride!
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I also cycle. I have a Dutch city bike at the moment, so I only do day trips around Berlin, but I'm saving up for a trekking bike. My boyfriend does longer bike trips, and it would be nice to do them together!

Comment

My legs are RUBBER... thats what I get for not training for this ride.

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
              My legs are RUBBER... thats what I get for not training for this ride.
              I never train for rides either. Especially the tours. For some reason, I feel like I don't need to train for a tour, and I'll just suffer through the first few days while my body gets used to doing 50-60k every day. Bike tours: train on the go!

Mostly art.

Comment

I train year-round, but it's only because if I don't get exercise, I can't sleep and have absolutely no energy in the winter. So, I ride a stationary bike to work out when the weather is cold and sucky.

I also bike for transportation. That keeps things easier.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  I train year-round, but it's only because if I don't get exercise, I can't sleep and have absolutely no energy in the winter. So, I ride a stationary bike to work out when the weather is cold and sucky.

I also bike for transportation. That keeps things easier.
                  That's totally the smart thing to do. I've got a bike trainer at home (that I NEVER use), and I cycle a ton in the summers, but winters...meh...

Mostly art.

Comment

I used to bike for transportation. Now, it is my secondary means, and being in construction now, it isn't well suited to my job as my primary. The other side of it, is that I get plenty of exercise at work. So, even though I hadn't trained for this, it isn't like I am (badly) out of shape, either... but I would have been well served by going for a few 30-40 mile rides in the days preceding the ride, at least... but alas, I didn't.

I mean... I am in good enough shape to knock out 100 miles in a little over 6 hours.

But, still... legs were feeling like rubber. After my shower this morning, though, I feel MUCH better. The hot water loosened them up.

Comment

I don't have a car, and it's usually faster than taking the subway!

Comment

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my biiiike~
                        I really want a new bike. I'd love to go riding around town come Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                          I don't have a car, and it's usually faster than taking the subway!
                          I used to not own a car. For nearly two years, I had only my bikes for transportation (there is no public transportation where I live, it was bike or foot for me). But now that I've stepped in to help run the family business, I found myself in need of something that can get around on job-sites, pull trailers with drilling equipment, and haul a crew with me... So, now I have an SUV... Still rather my bikes... But, sadly, (even when it's not necessary) it's often too easy to jump in the car rather than on the bike, and I've let my cycling for transportation slip.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Vicariousparabol View Post
                          DO IT!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vicariousparabol View Post
                            I loathe that song.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                              I loathe that song.
                              Really? As silly as the song is, I always thought it was rather catchy... even before I got into cycling.

But, then, I find things to like about a lot of music... in other words, I have a lot of "guilty pleasures," when it comes to music.

Comment

Working...
                              X