"Soft and fluffy" tarot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Soft and fluffy" tarot

Since I have been delving deeper into my studies of the Tarot, I have come across a rather annoying trend. When looking for books and resources on interpretations and meanings of the cards, I am often faced with authors who water down and sugar coat the cards. In other words, every interpretation, even for the darker, more serious cards such as Death and The Tower, are almost soft, gentle and reaffirming. Consider Doreen Virtue's Angel Tarot. Death becomes "Release", Tower becomes "Life Experience" (seriously?) and Devil becomes "Ego". I've put down several books I've picked up and paged through in bookstores because I'm tired of seeing soft phrases such as "new beginnings", "spiritual awakening", "greater self awareness", "chance for inner healing" and "cloud with silver lining" for the uncomfortable major cards, and for the more somber Cups and Swords. I realise that these interpretations can apply to these cards, but when only presented in that comfortable, unoffensive way the real message of the cards is lost.

Not to say that I want my cards to be all doom and gloom. In fact I am rather averse to the vampiric/goth tarot decks that are abounding. To me the Tarot is about illuminating the inner workings of the mind and soul, and sometimes those inner workings and the lessons that need to be learned aren't always reassuring. If newcomers to the Tarot become accustomed to these "fluffy" cards with the more scary or provocative images toned down with soft interpretations, it becomes more difficult to get a constructive experience out of using the cards, and Tarot will become another victim of the New Age "love, light and everything pretty and sparkly" scourge, if it hasn't become one already. I know there will always be people who prefer to sit on the sunny side of the fence when it comes to the occult, but it certainly makes it more difficult for serious seekers to find valid, warts-and-all information.
    sigpic

Re: "Soft and fluffy" tarot

Well some of the cards which we would inherrently associate with bad aren't as bad as we would always instinctively think. I have never, for example, had the death card come up and mean "death." It has always generally involved some type of tumult, and massive change, but it has always ultimately meant for me a rebirth. Which is not nessecarily soft or fuzzy... Now there are quite a few somber cards the tower is not really meant to be fluffy, it is tumult and ruinous quite often. There are also a few cups cards to avoid and more than a couple swords that I don't like to see. At some point it is time though to put the books down and meditate upon the cards for yourself and decide what they mean to you. If it does not feel like "release" when you draw it, then it is not "release" for you. People are different and alot of people will see things differently.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I have found that the people that gravitate to the kinder, gentler tarot cards are often the people that need some kindness and gentleness in their lives. It may because they are in a hard position, or it may be because that is their natural inclination...either way, I don't begrudge the creators of the cards for making them that way or the people that use them for preferring them. There are enough tarot cards in the world that I can pick the deck for me, and they can pick the deck for them.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        I have found that the people that gravitate to the kinder, gentler tarot cards are often the people that need some kindness and gentleness in their lives. It may because they are in a hard position, or it may be because that is their natural inclination...either way, I don't begrudge the creators of the cards for making them that way or the people that use them for preferring them. There are enough tarot cards in the world that I can pick the deck for me, and they can pick the deck for them.
        This. I've been through some hard times that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, and still I have a deck that has nothing but positive and "fluffy" messages to give simply because I still have to relive those hard times on occasion and the last thing I want to see during that is "hey it's all going to hell, have fun!"

Comment

Many times, Tarot readers and authors are fighting years of superstition. In movies (older moreso than newer ones), you'd always see the protagonist visit a fortune teller who would inevitably pull out the Death card and foretell some disaster. Coupled with the depiction of Death on the card, or the Devil, or the Tower, people began seeing the Tarot as evil and dark and an object to be feared. In some places, psychics, card readers and fortune tellers were actually harassed or driven out of town because of the combined impact of Hollywood portrayals of cursing people and foretelling death and dismay. Modern authors began trying to swing the pendulum back and present Tarot and other divinatory tools in a better, brighter light - and some of them have swung it back a little too far.

As a reader, the Death card could very well portend a death. Or it could mean the end of a relationship, job, life stage, or a t.v. show. The other cards usually help illustrate the rest of the circumstances. If say, I was reading for someone who was taking care of an elderly relative, and the Death card came up. Well, it could very well mean the elderly relative would die soon. I'd look at the other cards and see if any of them indicated that the querent might be enjoying new freedom, or a lightening of burdens, or even a financial windfall. I might then cautiously suggest that when the elderly parent passes, it would signal a time of change for the querent.
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

My two cents, for what it is worth:

What I learned when we moved to the country is that death is an every day part of life, and this is a reality that was readily apparent to pretty much everyone even just a hundred years ago. I went from agonizing over the loss of my first chicken to assessing the flock and simply announcing to my husband that "we're about to lose one" or "we lost one," as matter-of-factly as commenting on the weather. The hawks sit it the treetops, the coyotes and foxes prowl the perimeter, the buzzards are constantly cleaning some carcass or the other back in the woods, something is dead every day. And I have done my share of killing, too. For those in urban and suburban environments this is more of an abstract reality. Sitting down to roast chicken, of course urbanites know it was a living bird at some point, but it is an abstract living bird. No one at the table wrung its neck, bled it, blanched and plucked it. Death is a step removed from daily existence -- the veil is a little thicker, and sometimes absolutely opaque, something unknown, and therefore scary. Even the death of family is removed -- people used to die at home, the wake was in the parlor. Most people now live in urban and suburban environments, and so they sort of freak out about the Death card because their understanding of death is not the same as our ancestors'. I think that adjusting the card interpretation probably brings it closer to that understanding, I am not sure about "soft and fluffy," but "release" is not unreasonable, though I'd probably choose "transformation."

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
              Many times, Tarot readers and authors are fighting years of superstition. In movies (older moreso than newer ones), you'd always see the protagonist visit a fortune teller who would inevitably pull out the Death card and foretell some disaster. Coupled with the depiction of Death on the card, or the Devil, or the Tower, people began seeing the Tarot as evil and dark and an object to be feared. In some places, psychics, card readers and fortune tellers were actually harassed or driven out of town because of the combined impact of Hollywood portrayals of cursing people and foretelling death and dismay. Modern authors began trying to swing the pendulum back and present Tarot and other divinatory tools in a better, brighter light - and some of them have swung it back a little too far.
              That's not a bad point. I can see how authors of these cards might have felt that changing the names of the cards might help.

Comment

To be fair though, on Perze's point, has anyone ever actually done a spread and had their outcome be good?

I've never once, in the entire 10-some-odd years of owning tarot decks, ever divined a good thing. Almost always, they divine for me the bad shit that's about to come.

...so I stopped using them. My experience with the runes hasn't been any better in this regard.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  To be fair though, on Perze's point, has anyone ever actually done a spread and had their outcome be good?

I've never once, in the entire 10-some-odd years of owning tarot decks, ever divined a good thing. Almost always, they divine for me the bad shit that's about to come.

...so I stopped using them. My experience with the runes hasn't been any better in this regard.
                  It's like life. Life has its ups and downs. Depending on the person, the divinatory tool, and the interpretation, you can predict any outcome, good or bad. Most people I've read for tend to focus on the bad because that's why they're really seeking psychic advice. They want advance warning of disaster. They want drama. Life moving forward as expected isn't dramatic or exciting. I've had people get pissed at me for telling them that the cards predict their life will continue to be mundane.

I've gotten really good at being able to foretell pregnancy. For most women, that's good news, isn't it? :lol:

Comment

I've had good news, V. Right when I was getting my first deck and starting to teach myself, I had an amazingly good spread about getting out of my in-law's home. It helped push me to get the ball rolling.

The OP made me think, though...I have a card that isn't a "prime offender" that always seems to pop up as not even "change" negative, but irksome, button-pushing, dealing-with-my-personal-demons bad: the eight of swords. All. The. Time.
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                      It's like life. Life has its ups and downs. Depending on the person, the divinatory tool, and the interpretation, you can predict any outcome, good or bad. Most people I've read for tend to focus on the bad because that's why they're really seeking psychic advice. They want advance warning of disaster. They want drama. Life moving forward as expected isn't dramatic or exciting. I've had people get pissed at me for telling them that the cards predict their life will continue to be mundane.

I've gotten really good at being able to foretell pregnancy. For most women, that's good news, isn't it? :lol:
                      I suppose so, but I don't feel like I'm actively seeking out the bad. I would love to have a time or two where something bad DOESN'T happen. Last time I used the runes, they told me that doing anything at all (I was asking which cardinal direction I should physically move in) and each outcome was basically bad. And it said I wasn't gonna keep my current relationship to boot.

Maybe it's different for everyone.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Dez View Post
                        The OP made me think, though...I have a card that isn't a "prime offender" that always seems to pop up as not even "change" negative, but irksome, button-pushing, dealing-with-my-personal-demons bad: the eight of swords. All. The. Time.
                        I frikkin' hate those cards. Hate hate hate. Those cards that pop up every single frikkin' time and poke you in the eye.

I've been using a Goddess oracle deck as kind of a daily touchstone. Keep pulling 'Pele', which in this deck symbolizes Passion.

'What do I need to do today?' - Cards: 'Find your Passion!'
                        'What do I need to help my husband deal w/his anxiety?' - Cards: 'Find your Passion!'
                        'What is my goal for 2013?' - Cards: 'Find your Passion!'
                        'What's for dinner tonight?' - Cards: 'How 'bout serving up some nice, juicy Passion!'

I'm going to find someone named Passion, kidnap them, take them to Hawaii, and throw them in a damned volcano.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dez
                          I've been using a Goddess oracle deck as kind of a daily touchstone. Keep pulling 'Pele', which in this deck symbolizes Passion.

'What do I need to do today?' - Cards: 'Find your Passion!'
                          'What do I need to help my husband deal w/his anxiety?' - Cards: 'Find your Passion!'
                          'What is my goal for 2013?' - Cards: 'Find your Passion!'
                          'What's for dinner tonight?' - Cards: 'How 'bout serving up some nice, juicy Passion!'

I'm going to find someone named Passion, kidnap them, take them to Hawaii, and throw them in a damned volcano.
                          Hahaha oh goodness that made me laugh.
                          Surprisingly I haven't often had forecasts of doom, my future influences generally revolve around my cards repeatedly telling me to calm the f*** down and stop making the same stupid mistakes.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Artemisia View Post
                            Hahaha oh goodness that made me laugh.
                            Surprisingly I haven't often had forecasts of doom, my future influences generally revolve around my cards repeatedly telling me to calm the f*** down and stop making the same stupid mistakes.
                            Mine are basically non stop divinations of "you're coming to the end of something. There will be suffering and pain. There will be struggle. You will move on."

No matter when or how often I divine. Seriously. Same message, going on six years now. Where's my break?

Mostly art.

Comment

Mine are basically non stop divinations of "you're coming to the end of something. There will be suffering and pain. There will be struggle. You will move on."

No matter when or how often I divine. Seriously. Same message, going on six years now. Where's my break?
                              Did these endings end up happening or was it inaccurate?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X