Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Witch's Garden! What shall I grow this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Witch's Garden! What shall I grow this season?

Hello everyone.
    Spring is officially here, and even though I won't be able to plant anything for at least a month or two, I'm in the planning/ordering phase of my next witch's garden, but I don't know what to grow! I know I want to grow sage for making smudge bundles, but I'm at a loss for what else to grow.

Any suggestions?

Re: Witch's Garden! What shall I grow this season?

rosemary does well in pots, as does mint (keep mint in a pot!)

Lavender, chamomile, if you're into healing herbs, calendula is a boss, so is echinacea (I can never spell that word...)

Mostly art.

Comment

I can do pot gardening, but I have two 8x4 foot spaces at the community garden. I'll be helping my girlfriend with another one; her fairy garden.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
      rosemary does well in pots, as does mint (keep mint in a pot!)

Lavender, chamomile, if you're into healing herbs, calendula is a boss, so is echinacea (I can never spell that word...)
      All good ideas! Chamomile is a definite. Lavender might be good but what would I do with that? Echinacea may be good too! Very healing teas from Chamomile and Echinacea. Mint is good, too. Rosemary might be a good idea too. In texas we had a sage plant that didn't die in the winter. It would here, though.

I'll have to look up calendula, though. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by LizardMind View Post
        I can do pot gardening, but I have two 8x4 foot spaces at the community garden. I'll be helping my girlfriend with another one; her fairy garden.

- - - Updated - - -

All good ideas! Chamomile is a definite. Lavender might be good but what would I do with that? Echinacea may be good too! Very healing teas from Chamomile and Echinacea. Mint is good, too. Rosemary might be a good idea too. In texas we had a sage plant that didn't die in the winter. It would here, though.

I'll have to look up calendula, though. Thanks!
        Lavender: Love, Protection, Sleep, Chastity (with rosemary), Longevity, Purification, Happiness, Peace

Lavender is believed to be of benefit for a multitude of problems, including stress, anxiety, exhaustion, irritability, headaches, migraines, insomnia, depression, colds, digestion, flatulence, upset stomach, liver and gallbladder problems, nervousness, loss of appetite, and as a breath freshener and mouthwash. Inhaling the essential oil in some cases has been reported to work as well as narcotics for inducing relaxation and sleep, easing symptoms of depression, and reducing headache pain. For inhalation purposes, boil 2 cups of water, add 2 drops of essential oil, and inhale the steam.

Externally, Lavender oil is one of the safest essential oils and can be used full-strength on the skin. It works wonderfully and can be applied directly for cuts, scrapes, wounds, burns, bee, wasp, and insect stings, rashes, muscle aches, rheumatism, arthritis, cold sores, canker sores, blisters, bruises, athlete's foot, and rubbed directly into the temples in case of headache or migraine.

Miscellaneous uses of Lavender include using unsweetened tea as a hair rinse to help reduce hair loss and dandruff, using the dried flowers in sleep and dream pillows, in potpourris, sachets and tucked in drawers to freshen clothing and repel moths. A few drops of oil dropped into warm bath water is a refreshing and relaxing treat. The stems with the leaves stripped can be burned like an incense stick, and can also be used in crafts such as basket weaving, and making Lavender wands.
        source

I like it as a tea

Mostly art.

Comment

Lavender as a tea? It seems a little "perfumey" for that, doesn't it? How does it taste?

Comment

Lavender as a tea? It seems a little "perfumey" for that, doesn't it? How does it taste?
            It's a little on the floral side, but combined with chamomile, I find it tasty and relaxing. I've even made it as an iced tea before.

Mostly art.

Comment

...like lavender. Seriously, taste is mostly smell. Lavender isn't really perfumey as a tea, though it is distinctly flowery--just because its not as strong as lavender oil or perfume. Its especially good with lemon balm, which is probably one of my 10 favorite multpurpose herbs. Nearly every herb I use has both medicinal and magical uses, some of them also have culinary uses (including lavender), can be used in cleaning (including lavender), cosmetics (including lavender), etc.

Seriously, lavender, chamomile, and peppermint are like the trifecta of most useful herbs ever.

If I were growing stuff, I'd go for those of my favorite herbs that aren't feasible foraged and fit in my space.

My 10 fave herbs for many things:
              lavender
              lemon balm
              peppermint
              yarrow
              chamomile
              rose
              basil
              clary sage
              calendula
              garlic

My next 10 fave herbs:
              plantain
              chickweed
              chicory
              nettle
              willow
              slippery elm
              marshmallow
              mullein
              hibiscus
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                ...like lavender. Seriously, taste is mostly smell. Lavender isn't really perfumey as a tea, though it is distinctly flowery--just because its not as strong as lavender oil or perfume. Its especially good with lemon balm, which is probably one of my 10 favorite multpurpose herbs. Nearly every herb I use has both medicinal and magical uses, some of them also have culinary uses (including lavender), can be used in cleaning (including lavender), cosmetics (including lavender), etc.

Seriously, lavender, chamomile, and peppermint are like the trifecta of most useful herbs ever.

If I were growing stuff, I'd go for those of my favorite herbs that aren't feasible foraged and fit in my space.

My 10 fave herbs for many things:
                lavender
                lemon balm
                peppermint
                yarrow
                chamomile
                rose
                basil
                clary sage
                calendula
                garlic

My next 10 fave herbs:
                plantain
                chickweed
                chicory
                nettle
                willow
                slippery elm
                marshmallow
                mullein
                hibiscus
                Yeah! You can't forage for yarrow? The stuff grows like a weed up here.

I know down south (I mean Southern Canada when I say this) plantain, chickweed, mullein, and nettle grow like the crazy weeds they are, but up here, I haven't really been here for a growing season to really know what's up.

I'm gonna be picking nettle come summer, I know that much.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  Yeah! You can't forage for yarrow? The stuff grows like a weed up here.

I know down south (I mean Southern Canada when I say this) plantain, chickweed, mullein, and nettle grow like the crazy weeds they are, but up here, I haven't really been here for a growing season to really know what's up.

I'm gonna be picking nettle come summer, I know that much.
                  Unfortunately no, not at the beachy spots...I'd have to go inland, and I'm not too sure of inland forage areas. I have permission to forage at the Arboretum, but most of what I get there is paw paw, sassafras, pecans, and (if I'm lucky and the deer haven't eaten it all) mayapple.

Plantain and chickweed are easy to get, as well as violet, chicory (though that is mostly roadside, and I don't do roadside herbs), clover and dandelion...but most places around here are mowed (or fertilized or sprayed, etc), so I grow most things myself.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Thal I have to ask, because I don't really know. What does one do with mayapple? Seriously, my moms backyard becomes a stinkin mayapple forest for a while, and I was always under the impression that they were poisionous. Since the deer never came to eat them... Maybe the deer are just odd up here...
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                      Thal I have to ask, because I don't really know. What does one do with mayapple? Seriously, my moms backyard becomes a stinkin mayapple forest for a while, and I was always under the impression that they were poisionous. Since the deer never came to eat them... Maybe the deer are just odd up here...
                      The fruits are edible...they just have to be properly ripe. The rest of the plant is poisonous, but they make a yummy jelly or jam--that is the only way I've had them. Your deer might be weird though...I can never find the fruit, they are gone before I get to them!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X