Tell Me All About Hades!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell Me All About Hades!

I'm working on a painting about the story of Hades and Persephone, (I'll attach some photos) I've already started painting Persephone and Demeter, but no matter how I try I can't seem to get Hades right.

I know the story very well, and I love Greek myths and legends, but I think I must be missing something somewhere that I just can't seem to get Hades to have the same energy of the other two figures. I think I just lack something fundamental about his character as a God, and so I ask you guys

If you can help me, or know more about Hades as a God, or maybe a more personal perspective of his personality please do share. I'm not looking for wiki links and facts and figures, I know that stuff. I'm looking for information I may not know, perspectives on him from others points of view so I can make the character more rounded, because at the moment he seems flat.

Can you guys help? X
    Attached Files
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Re: Tell Me All About Hades!

I haven't got anything, unfortunately, but I just wanted to say that I really like Demeter!

Mostly art.

Comment

Thanks hunny
      I appreciate compliments too :P haha. x
      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

From my own UPG...

Hades has the unbearable burden of having to do what is necessary to maintain the balance in the life-death cycle. He is somber and reserved, always appropriate and careful with words and actions. There is no decision that He makes that is not carefully examined from all angles. Even His capture of Persephone was carefully planned and pre-arranged. Hades is not spontaneous or open or warm. There is a sadness about Him, it follows Him like a shadow, but He is not exactly sad. Mostly resigned and dignified.

He always appeared to me as a slender older man, with dark hair, gray at His temples and in His beard. He had heavy eyes. For some reason, He always reminded me more of the Assyrian males you see in carvings than of a Greek or Roman. More linear or angular in nature. Always robed in deep purple or red.

Kind of like this:

stock-photo-head-of-an-ancient-assyrian-warrior-carved-in-stone-38550676.jpg

Considering the style of your current work, FW, it will be interesting to see how you fit Him in there
        Attached Files
        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Thanks Persephone

Any and all ideas really do help, as this painting has me completely absorbed and I need the characters to feel three dimensional in some way.

I'll go hide in my sketchpad a while longer and see if your insight can help me get a better feeling for him. x

Comment

Whenever I've read Greek myths where Hades mentioned, I always picture him looking like a slightly less buff (and dressed) King Leonidas in 300.

I don't know if that really helps too much...but, yeah.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Whenever I've read Greek myths where Hades mentioned, I always picture him looking like a slightly less buff (and dressed) King Leonidas in 300.
              Yeah, totally, lol!
              The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

His hair is blue fire, trufax.
                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Dark skin, burnt from the fires of Hades, hair black as night and cracked elderly skin. I always liked Thanatos and learned a while back he and Hades were like a two faced god. Thanatos takes the souls to Tartarus (dismembers their spirits from their bodies) while Hades watches over them. I interpret this to mean Hades is a somber kingly fellow and Thanatos is his more violent, blood thirsty half, but in a romantic kind of way. Not blood thirsty or violent like a ravenous animal, more like turning a duty into a sport. I think all this death makes Hades kind of sad and Thanatos is the aspect that allows the sadness to lift for a while so his cruel and cold nature can be embraced for a few moments of clarity.

By the way, very nice art work FantasyWitch!

Comment

Beautiful paintings! I picture Hades as looking like the German actor Sebastian Koch - tall, dark, handsome but with that hint of vulnerability about him. (try this one: http://content6.flixster.com/photo/7...506892_ori.jpg it comes from the film 'The Lives of Others.')

Another way of approaching it is to ask how he regarded Persephone. Did he really love her, or just desire her?
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Thanks guys This really is helping!!

Please if anyone else has insight share I'll post a picture when I get it right. x

Comment

Working...
                      X