Any devotees to Hindu Pantheon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any devotees to Hindu Pantheon?

For those who are devoted to Hindu deities and such, what is it that you find as a means of approach to them? I think mantra would be obvious since Hinduism is filled with many mantras for the Gods and Goddesses which makes it quite easier to get in contact with deities. What are your experiences? What made you approach Hindu gods and goddesses?

Re: Any devotees to Hindu Pantheon?

My life has been pretty hectic lately, but I recently found myself quite drawn to Hinduism. Unfortunately, I haven't exactly had the time to learn all that much. But, from my shallow understanding of the deep and complex set of mythologies, philosophies, and deities of Hinduism, I feel the most connection with Lord Shiva. The way that he embodies the intimate union of life and death, destruction and creation, is very moving to me.
    A while back I had a spiritual experience wherein I saw a purple lotus flower radiating out eternally, every petal had an eye on it. It was a beautiful vision that helped heal me on a very deep level. The next day I hopped online and found out that the Hindus associate the Purple Lotus with the Crown Chakra; the Chakra that supposedly becomes activated during times of spiritual clarity. I think that's part of what started my interest in it.
    How about you? Are you into the whole Hindu thing? I'm sure we'd all be interested in hearing your perspective

Comment

I feel you on the life being hectic lately. Im in the same boat it seems in my own way, but I suppose it can help me grow (blah!). Your same interest in Shiva is also what drew me to him. I love the Nondual aspect of Shiva that also includes the Goddess as Shakti (In various manifestations). I also love how in the Shaivite teachings (mainly the nondual ones) is that we can also see in our limited way that we also do the activities of creation, preservation, and death when we think a thought its a creation, when we hold onto that thought its preservation, and when the thought goes its destruction. Some of the sages suggest we contemplate this so we can see that even in our limited way we are also never separate from Shiva.

Your vision seems quite beautiful. I have never had an experience like this, so you must have activated energy going on. This is a great thing obviously. I am trying to work with my chakras. I enjoy the Vijhana Bhairava Tantra (basically a series of techniques to aid in recognition of the divine), because there is one technique where you simply feel the skull to open that crown chakra.

I definately want to get into more practice of feeling the presence of Lord Shiva and also Kali which is a unique form of the Goddess somewhat similar to Morrigan of Celtic tradition. I hope your experiences continue to deepen as it seems you experience auspicious states.

Comment

Originally posted by Consciousness View Post
        I also love how in the Shaivite teachings (mainly the nondual ones) is that we can also see in our limited way that we also do the activities of creation, preservation, and death when we think a thought its a creation, when we hold onto that thought its preservation, and when the thought goes its destruction. Some of the sages suggest we contemplate this so we can see that even in our limited way we are also never separate from Shiva.
        That is very interesting, I did not know about that teaching. I suppose that just goes to show how much I have to learn. Blessings on your path. Namaste

Comment

I love Shiva! I do his moola (foundational) mantra nightly (I have been chanting it on and off for about two years). I am also lucky enough to have a friend of my fathers teach me Tantra Yoga, which falls right in line with many facets of Shiva and Shakti, at least the little I have read so far. I really appreciate Shiva as the All Pervading Consciousness and God of the Moon, which is very rare. With that title he truly is a Supreme God, and that is a term I usually avoid, but his many faces are all very powerful and embracing for me. His union with Shakti is also very poweful as it represents the balance and co-creation of existence. His son, Ganesha/Ganapati, is also a favorite of mine, as he is a Gate Keeper and keeper of wisdom- plus he seems so nice. Like a happy grandpa or inspiring-magical child.

I am not Hindu, but I have a deep reverence for the path- the Yogi/Yogini path to be specific. They truly are a wise and enlightened culture and yoga is am amazing art. I just started my Tantra Journey a couple days ago, so it is nice to see this thread. It gives me much inspiration on my new journey.

Comment

I love Shiva! I do his moola (foundational) mantra nightly (I have been chanting it on and off for about two years).
            I love Shiva's mantra. I enjoy combining breathing with the mantra.

I am also lucky enough to have a friend of my fathers teach me Tantra Yoga, which falls right in line with many facets of Shiva and Shakti, at least the little I have read so far.
            I love the tantric path.The teachings are so affirming of our nature with Shiva and the Goddess Shakti. I love how deep it elucidates Reality. Not sure if you would be interested, but there are some good texts that you can read online. For some reason i am unable to place links in my post.

I really appreciate Shiva as the All Pervading Consciousness and God of the Moon, which is very rare. With that title he truly is a Supreme God, and that is a term I usually avoid, but his many faces are all very powerful and embracing for me. His union with Shakti is also very poweful as it represents the balance and co-creation of existence.
            I know what you mean about Him being a Supreme God. For some times I would have trouble giving fair amount of devotion to Him and Shakti, but then I had the thought, that they are One and the same. As the Tantra teaching says Shakti is one with the Absolute. Especially in tantra which sees everything that is manifested as an appearance within consciousness and made up of consciousness so therefore is none other than consciousness (God).

His son, Ganesha/Ganapati, is also a favorite of mine, as he is a Gate Keeper and keeper of wisdom- plus he seems so nice. Like a happy grandpa or inspiring-magical child.
            Lord Ganesha is so gentle and nice. He is easily accessible. He is playful in his manifestations. I really find that just chanting Om Gam Ganapatye Namaha with consistency easily brings him into your life. It is said that he introduces people to the Gods and Goddeses.

You can find the book "Loving Ganesa" free online. This book is what inspired me to worship Ganesha.

I must admit though that I should give more devotion to him and less time on trivial matters -sigh-

Few days back i saw a tv serial "Mahadev" on Life OK, which i found very interesting. Just one episode attracted me so much that i wanted to see the complete series of it. I searched online and found the series on Youtube. I am on the 14th episode of it and it feels pretty good watching it
            Thanks I am going to look that up right now on youtube.

Comment

The Ganesha moola is also one I perform regularly. I don't really worship them (I don't worship anything), but I do find serenity in their chants and what they represent.

Comment

For those who do follow Hinduism, how do you account for the societal classes? For what I understand, this is an integral part of the belief system, do you follow that as well?
                We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I follow the different philosophies and practices of yoga more so than religious Hinduism, so no, I don't follow the social hierarchy of Hinduism- I don't really know much about it anyway. I don't really care for social hierarchy in general, but that's not to say I believe in ultimate equality either because we each know things and can do things others simply do not know and cannot do (hence the reason for teachers and study groups, etc). It's human nature, but that also doesn't mean we aren't equal on other levels, such as being able to get the same benefits/grievances from our governments and laws (rich get away, poor go to jail, or whatever), and wrongful accusation or overt praise because of one's beliefs, practices and personal fashion, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                    For those who do follow Hinduism, how do you account for the societal classes? For what I understand, this is an integral part of the belief system, do you follow that as well?
                    Swami Shankarananda a convert suggested that you have Hindu philosophy and then you have hinduism as a society system of classes. Those who convert or follow their ways would not want to convert to something that would automatically make them the lowest members of society. So it is the Hindu philosophy. Within Hinduism there are many sects and religions.

My leanings in Hinduism are Tantra teachings. I enjoy teachings of Tantra from both the Shakta tradition and Shaivite tradition. Tantra does not care what race or class you belong to. This is what is special about the teachings, because it arose in a society that was mainly brahmanical consisting of men and not women. Tantra embraced all, especially women, since it worships the Supreme Goddess. I enjoy the teachings of Kashmir Shaivism which teach that the entire Universe is the Goddess Shakti. The Goddess and God (Shiva) are also within us. They cannot be seperated, because the Self as Shiva is Conscious awareness. In order for it to express itself it must stir consciousness and thus need power or Shakti. Shakti is infused with that conscious energy to act out the way God chooses. They are one and the same.

The tantra system does not care about classism. It reveals the world and everything in it including classes, people all to be manifesting from Conscious power of Shiva flowing by the grace of Shakti.

Om Namah Sivaya
                    Om Dom Durgaye namaha

Comment

Working...
                    X