Born Pagan? and a little rambling.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Born Pagan? and a little rambling.

I am in the broom closet but I feel I am on the right path for me. I have always felt so awkward at the Kingdom Hall (my family's church) and ever since I can remember I have had such a strong connection with nature and many thing that my family would turn their back on me for. Looking back, it almost seems like I was meant to be on a Pagan path. I have always been the odd one of the family, I have always felt more calm and tranquil in nature. Even when I was a child I remember building fairy houses and leaving out milk, honey or cakes as offerings and I didn't know why I did it, I didn't even think about it. It just felt natural. Their are a lot of other things that I am forgetting to mention right now but I thought I would just give a few instead of my life story. Of course if anyone in my family found out they would abandon me. I am fine with being in the broom closet since I have enough privacy to do what I need/want to do. I just wonder if it is possible to be born pagan in a matter of speaking. On a side note I also find it interesting that I can't seem to escape kitty cats More times than I can count I have found stray cat's, cat's have come up to me and cat's have come to my door which is fine with me but my own cat doesn't like to see other cat's. Perhaps the cat is my Familiar. Oh, and I am in the process of making a wand and their is a willow tree where I live. I always feel so warm and happy when I am near this tree in particular (anyone have any idea why this might be?) and I said out loud that if it was willing to give me one of it's branches that I could make such a wonderful wand. I was kind of joking and I didn't want to cut the tree, but a couple days later I went to the tree and found one of it's branches on the ground! and it is perfect for my wand I just finished sanding it and am getting ready to decorate it. Anyway, sorry if I rambled. I was just glad to finally talk a little.

Re: Born Pagan? and a little rambling.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to "talking".

I must say that I think it's absolutely certain that some of us are "born pagan". I was raised christian, but even though I really, truly did believe, I always had certain doubts. Like I could accept that "jesus is god" but I couldn't accept that God would do this and that... and so I tried to make it all MY fault when I didn't understand or accept something the bible taught.

It wasn't until later that I realized that God had always spoken to me, but I had accepted the voice of man over that of the Infinite Divine.

I always knew the Infinite Divine. When I finally left christianity, it was with great relief that believing was no longer HARD! It was SO hard to believe in the "god" represented in the bible. It was literally labor to accept and excuse it and blame everything on myself.

I've always been a pantheist of sorts, but never understood it. I tried to make the bible's teachings work with what I KNEW, which was that the Infinite Divine is all love.

I was definitely born in the arms of the Infinite Divine. It was within and through me as It is within and through all things and all people. I never truly doubted the Infinite Divine... but I definitely doubted what I was taught about It. And now I know that I doubted with good reason. Our soul enters this world with knowledge of its path. Finding the path is not so hard... getting out of the way of the path, though... now that can be nigh on impossible.

Comment

I was born into the religion, because my mother is pagan. I wear her pentical and grew up with pagan-y symbols all around.

Comment

I definitely feel like I was born Pagan. I've always had an attachment to trees and plant life, as if they were people and my friends. I know that sounds odd, but my uncle once ripped out a small bush by the front of our house, and I cried when I found out. When I read through a lot of the pagan/wiccan books I found that I was already doing a great deal of the suggested practices, such as grounding, ritual baths, "talking" and connecting to the earth through trees and plants, gardening, even drawing down the moon and the sun (it was way more than just tanning OK? lol

Comment

You cannot be born as any religion, since religion is a human construct. A child is empty of any imprinting at birth, and it's only the influence of the world around you that shapes who you are (and genetics).

A deer is not born pagan for loving the woods. I think it is human nature to love nature. It is our house, and our home. We threw paganism on top of that ages later.

(You don't have to agree with me.)

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic;104872[I
            ]You cannot be born as any religion[/I], since religion is a human construct. A child is empty of any imprinting at birth, and it's only the influence of the world around you that shapes who you are (and genetics).

A deer is not born pagan for loving the woods. I think it is human nature to love nature. It is our house, and our home. We threw paganism on top of that ages later.

(You don't have to agree with me.)
            BOlded mine.

I have to agree. I do not think anyone is born as a Pagan / Heathen / Christian / etc anymore than they are born as a pagan or heathen using the old definitions beyond the sense of "county dweller" or not in the city. I even have doubts as to being introduced into a religion considering that there is no universal definition of "Christian" beyond a believer in Jesus and God considering how even the same denominations have identifiable differences. Differences often driven by mankind's individual identification of who or what God or Jesus is and often defined against a certain time frame and needs.

To me the notion of being born a pagan / heathen makes no more sense than saying I am a natural witch or was born a witch and all it entails. Considering witchcraft is a practice or craft that one may be born with an affinity for but not born of in my opinion. Add in we are part of nature and an animal ourselves it seems illogical to me to think because one has a closer connection or call to nature makes them anything other than another animal subject to the deeper rhythm of nature. Especially given most people's supposed connection to nature is not reflective of archaic religions or practices but more influenced by Protestant influences of a one on one connection to the divine that typically was not to be found prior to the Protestant Reformation period.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I was born awesome.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRave View Post
                I was born awesome.
                Yes sean, yes you were...
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  BOlded mine.
                  Considering witchcraft is a practice or craft that one may be born with an affinity for but not born of in my opinion.

Perhaps this is what people mean when they say "Born Pagan". They might mean that they have a natural affinity for Witchcraft/Paganism, and when they finally discovered their path, they felt a coming home of sorts.
                  Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Domiel View Post
                    Perhaps this is what people mean when they say "Born Pagan". They might mean that they have a natural affinity for Witchcraft/Paganism, and when they finally discovered their path, they felt a coming home of sorts.
                    I'd buy that except that witchcraft is not unique to being a pagan / heathen nor a required component of it that helps define what a pagan / heathen is or is not. I'd also say that a person is not defined against a concept or dogma which would define a religion / spiritual practice as to me that is a mindset / perspective which is acquired not something a person is born with. As such it is in constant development and revision as experience is applied to the person and analyzed to become a catalyst that causes change or modification of existing beliefs / perspectives.

Of course this is all my own opinion and perspective so others may see it differently.

Comment

I'd buy that except that witchcraft is not unique to being a pagan / heathen nor a required component of it that helps define what a pagan / heathen is or is not. I'd also say that a person is not defined against a concept or dogma which would define a religion / spiritual practice as to me that is a mindset / perspective which is acquired not something a person is born with. As such it is in constant development and revision as experience is applied to the person and analyzed to become a catalyst that causes change or modification of existing beliefs / perspectives.

Of course this is all my own opinion and perspective so others may see it differently.
                      Fair enough .
                      Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

I never did any rituals, but if I look at all the things I've gotten in trouble for believing, I've been Pagan for as long as I can remember.

Comment

BOlded mine.

I have to agree. I do not think anyone is born as a Pagan / Heathen / Christian / etc anymore than they are born as a pagan or heathen using the old definitions beyond the sense of "county dweller" or not in the city. I even have doubts as to being introduced into a religion considering that there is no universal definition of "Christian" beyond a believer in Jesus and God considering how even the same denominations have identifiable differences. Differences often driven by mankind's individual identification of who or what God or Jesus is and often defined against a certain time frame and needs.

To me the notion of being born a pagan / heathen makes no more sense than saying I am a natural witch or was born a witch and all it entails. Considering witchcraft is a practice or craft that one may be born with an affinity for but not born of in my opinion. Add in we are part of nature and an animal ourselves it seems illogical to me to think because one has a closer connection or call to nature makes them anything other than another animal subject to the deeper rhythm of nature. Especially given most people's supposed connection to nature is not reflective of archaic religions or practices but more influenced by Protestant influences of a one on one connection to the divine that typically was not to be found prior to the Protestant Reformation period.
                          I actually disagree about the natural witch comment (something I have actually written about in a recent thread on here), but since we are talking about being born pagan, I will stick with that. Usually, I might agree that one cannot be born a certain religious adherent, but based upon what this person said, and assuming it is all true (which I have no reason to think otherwise), this person could perhaps be said to have an innately pagan spark within her. Doing things that you are not taught to do, things that are instinctive, usually are innate, especially if these are customs that you eventually correlate with other religious sects. Most people I know like nature to a certain degree, but I have rarely met a soul who feels a connection like this girl does. It is not merely that one feels a connection, but rather WHAT that connection entails and how DEEP the connection is; most people just appreciate nature visually or through some sort of other physical/psychical (psychological) sense. They usually do not talk to the earth or to the trees and set up offerings, which seems rather religious, spiritual at the least. However, regardless of whether we agree with this young woman, at the very least we should be open to her thoughts. After all, many of us believe that we are aspects of the God/Goddess, can draw on her power, and can even perform spells. We know that we get ridiculed for these beliefs, and understand what that feels like. It is therefore prudent that we be open to others ideas just as we ask others to be open to ours (or at the very least respect them). Though at the same time, I can respect your stance on this issue, I just have to disagree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Simatong View Post
                            I actually disagree about the natural witch comment (something I have actually written about in a recent thread on here), but since we are talking about being born pagan, I will stick with that. Usually, I might agree that one cannot be born a certain religious adherent, but based upon what this person said, and assuming it is all true (which I have no reason to think otherwise), this person could perhaps be said to have an innately pagan spark within her. Doing things that you are not taught to do, things that are instinctive, usually are innate, especially if these are customs that you eventually correlate with other religious sects. Most people I know like nature to a certain degree, but I have rarely met a soul who feels a connection like this girl does. It is not merely that one feels a connection, but rather WHAT that connection entails and how DEEP the connection is; most people just appreciate nature visually or through some sort of other physical/psychical (psychological) sense. They usually do not talk to the earth or to the trees and set up offerings, which seems rather religious, spiritual at the least. However, regardless of whether we agree with this young woman, at the very least we should be open to her thoughts. After all, many of us believe that we are aspects of the God/Goddess, can draw on her power, and can even perform spells. We know that we get ridiculed for these beliefs, and understand what that feels like. It is therefore prudent that we be open to others ideas just as we ask others to be open to ours (or at the very least respect them). Though at the same time, I can respect your stance on this issue, I just have to disagree with you.
                            Being open to ones thoughts is not a bad thing unless it gets to the point of being so open ones brains fall out. That becomes the issue when one accepts things simply to give credit to another's story or perspective. I suppose that was one reason the Occult was very much considered hidden knowledge and in the 70's and 80's Witchcraft and Wicca was the way of the wise in they questioned all and blindly accepted nothing. Myself, I'd be more offended to be blindly accepted than challenged on anything I wrote, but that is me and perhaps the generations I come from. Sort of the justification if we can't defend our perspective and beliefs then it was never really developed and evaluated to begin with. But as I said that's the influence of my age and the time I was most tested and challenged.

Nor does it consider that a child in the womb is influenced by many things which may come to pass in their later life but it does not mean they were born to a certain thing. A child who is read to will often be a reader themselves, a child who hears music may have a higher disposition to music but it doesn't mean they were born to such. I have certain things that I am much alike to both my mother and grandmother but it was from an exposure to them while in the womb not that I was born pagan or an occultist. The fact I have memories of my mother and grandmother that are clearly theirs (long before I was a glimmer in my mother's eyes or she was born while carried in my grandmothers womb) in no way means I was born to be them only that for some reason while carried in the womb I was exposed to their lives up to the moment of being born. What we do not know is when the child in the womb begins to experience or hear the outside world or its influence upon the developing child whether it be human or other species. That I personally think is far more likely to be an influence than someone actually being born to a certain position.

Now perhaps I do have a differing view considering I did die in my youth and my family always claimed I was touched ever after and chosen by the family ancestors. Yet that required me to die first and change the whole perspective of my world view even as it was developing. As far as the earth my sisters used to speak to the mud pies they made from the time they learnt to talk. Talk to the plants and tree's and have in-depth conversations with any number of things yet it didn't make them anything other than who they were. They spoke to the spirits of our ancestors as well yet it did not make them pagan either considering they are devout Christians. Yet that was also the way we were raised from the time we were brought home from the doctors / hospital.

Sadly to my perspective to many are trying to lay claim to being something special or have a special calling as it makes them special even if only in their own minds. The very notion of otherkin and therionthropes fall into that spectrum in my opinion along with the I'm a natural or born _______. It has become a trend that appears to really be running rampant beneath the pagan umbrella in trying to justify why they are different. Or justify why they could not or are not Christian anymore and it didn't fulfill their spiritual / religious needs thus them turning elsewhere. Perhaps even giving them a bit of support in their own minds as to why they had to leave something and overcome the guilt built into the system.

But as I said being open is not a bad thing as long as one looks at it with critical thinking skills and analysis of both what was said and their own position on things.

Comment

Originally posted by Simatong View Post
                              I think everyone is born with a connection to nature and the world around them it may vary in apparent strength on a person-person basis but it is there.
                              Equally we all have skills/knowledge that we demonstrate some innate ability/preference for.

I dont believe any of this indicates being born pagan, its just all part of the wonder and variety of the human experience
                              I would go even further and say an innate respect of nature and the world around us is the norm, and that urban life and the rat-race has separated many from this connection.

Nothing in that gainsays or disrespects anyones belief

Comment

Working...
                              X