Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cernunnos

Hello all,

Ever since I first read about paganism, I had an interest in Cernunnos. I just liked many of the attributes associated with him. His essence and ways seem very mysterious. He seems very friendly and also Wild. Anyways, I also have read that Shiva of Hinduism could also be associated with Cernunnos. Obviously this is not something known as fact, so it may not be true, but I find it interesting. Some even suggest the similarities in yogic postures and such. The attributes given to both are also very similar. I occasionally make devotions to Shiva and know at least different ways to get in contact with him, but I was wondering of some ways to get in contact with Cernunnos himself. I have a hard time sometimes, being able to make connections. I sometimes chant Cernunnos name silently as a mantra. Usually I let go of it, because I feel I do not build enough concentration, but I wonder if this would be a powerful way to get in contact with Cernunnos. Are there any staunch Cernunnos worshipers here? What has Cernunnos appeared or is represented in your experience? Also how can one overcome the western mind set and get into the mode of experiencing Cernunnos. I doubt a lot, because my conditioned thinking is of that western mind set.

Thanks

Re: Cernunnos

How do you mean 'western mind set'? I'm a bit confused as Cernunnos is typically seen as a western deity, but also because I don't really know what a western mind set entails to you.
    Cernunnos, as you mentioned, is wild. It may be helpful to you to envision a wild place you enjoy when trying to reach out to him. Even better if you can be out in it. I wouldn't call myself a devout of his, though he holds appeal to me, so others may have better advice.
    My Tumblr
    My Webcomic
    My Twitter

Comment

I have nothing at all to contribute to your query, to be honest, it did not manage to hold my interest long enough for me to finish- you are not to blame for this, however, as what little energy I had stored up for needless things was quickly burned away as I tried to find out who this Horned God was. It was interesting to learn about, and led me to a particularly interesting find

I would like to personally thank you for posting this, as it led me to learn about something that may or may not help me on my Journey, but will most definitely be interesting, if nothing else.

Thank you.

Comment

There's not a whole lot of historical data about Cernunnos. Many things we assume about him are drawn from conjecture about superficial similarities between depictions of him and other gods. What we can pinpoint is that he was worshipped across Continental Celtic lands, continued to be venerated in Roman times by the Gauls, and seems associated with animals and hunting, but also riches and wealth.
        We can make conjecture that he's either a very cthonic deity or a rural woodland god of nature in general, or some combination of the two. We can conjecture that he's related in some way to mysticism due to his "yogic" posture depicted in the Gundestrup Cauldron. But all of this is just that: conjecture.

Personal mystical experiences might give some insight, but they're inherently personal and subjective. They're not reliable as objective sources. Historical depictions and records are, usually, more objective in determining the common terms in which that figure's worshippers viewed them.

Regardless, the imagery and identity of Cernunnos was picked up by Wicca early in its development. A lot of modern common conclusions about Cernunnos come from Wiccan mythology and its association with the Frazerian dying-and-rising god archetype. Is it necessarily historical? No. Is it wrong? That's ambiguous and depends largely on how much you feel Wiccan mythology and experience reflects the identity of Cernunnos. I feel that it does reflect it, but I am coming from a specific perspective, with subjective knowledge that may or may not be objectively true--if objectively true things even exist in our reality.

Comment

To build a bit on what Louisvillain said, there is some debate on whether Cernunnos's "yogic" posture is a meditative position or a squatting position that would be assumed while hunting. In my own experience, Cernunnos is a balance between aggressive hunter and self-aware mystic. Overall, he has been a stern but loving father figure to me.

Some see Cernunnos as something of a Christlike figure, a God of Earth who is dissatisfied with humanity and has left us until humanity is fit to revere him again. Personally, I don't believe he has gone, but it's an interesting perspective. The band Faith and the Muse has a song appropriately named Cernunnos which speaks of this theory from the God's point of view.

When I want to talk to him, I recite a section of a well-known invocation.

Great God Cernunnos, return to earth again!
          Come at my call and show thyself to men.
          Shepherd of Goats, upon the wild hill's way,
          Lead thy lost flock from darkness into day.
          Forgotten are the ways of sleep and night -
          Men seek for them whose eyes have lost the light.
          Open the door, the door which hath no key,
          The door of dreams, whereby men come to thee.
          O Mighty Stag, O answer to me!
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
            To build a bit on what Louisvillain said, there is some debate on whether Cernunnos's "yogic" posture is a meditative position or a squatting position that would be assumed while hunting.
            I thought about adding a note about how that posture might just be a comfortable sitting position, but deemed it extraneous. Regardless, you do bring up a very good point about it.

Comment

Unfortunately, less is known of Cernunnos than some people would claim. My main piece of advice on Celtic paganism is generally the same as my main piece of advice on Slavic paganism; make sure you know what claims are actually based on, and track down who is parroting what source. With Cernunnos, I believe we have a few examples of the name in Roman letters, but many depictions of a horned God.
              If you want to be thought intelligent, just agree with everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X