Looking for some recs on Gods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some recs on Gods.

I was going to write this long and drawn out post, asking questions about the Moon Goddess and whatnot. But I had the anwser suddenly dawn on me.

I work very heavily with a double aspect of things. Night and Day, Light and Dark, Spring/Summer and Falle/Winter... any example you can think of opposites in that vein I attribute to Hecate and Brighid respectively. What I noticed, but wasn't part of the original question, is that I have been longing for some more balance to that, and I think it lies with the Gods that I am missing. The Masculine form in the universe. Do any of you have any suggestions of Gods that work well with the Goddess I've mentioned, or ones that you work with and enjoy.

It's been my experience that They reach out and touch me when I'm tromping through the internet or reading books about them.

Thanks for any insight you can give me!

Re: Looking for some recs on Gods.

Bridghid and Morighanna, Athena or Artemis and Hecate for Day/Night, Life/Death, Maiden/Crone. Bast and Sekhmet as Pleasure/War (Sekhmet is also called for healing, so she is balance already as goddess of healing and war). Shiva and Shakti as Stillness/Movement, Consciousness/Energy. Brighid and Lugh also work well together as a Feminine/Masculine, Healer/Warrior, although they are both deities of light.

Comment

Lugh! Now that one had me stopping in my tracks! Off to research!!

Comment

I am particularly fond of Gwyn ap Nudd. In my UPG of him, he doesn't have much sense of "right and wrong". He's quite pragmatic, and his focus is on fixing things (a very masculine trait). He suits me in that he's practical. Sure, he gathers up and chases down souls. And deer, once in a while. And he has those scary dogs. And that nasty-tempered horse. But he sees all souls pretty much the same. Not in Annwyn yet? Well, off you go. Nope, I didn't ask if you were the good guy or the bad guy, I said, off you go! He'll drop off someone who's due to make recompense before they go, just as he'll drop off the sweet old lady who has never hurt a fly.

There's something very soothing about his impartiality, in the way that the sun smiles down upon us all--no exceptions. He carries all Home. No exceptions. Death and life are very much the same in that way... they both come to all of us. The sun shines on all, death comes for everyone eventually.

Impartiality works both ways, and that's very much evident in Gwyn's nature and activity as a psychopomp.

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post
          I am particularly fond of Gwyn ap Nudd. In my UPG of him, he doesn't have much sense of "right and wrong". He's quite pragmatic, and his focus is on fixing things (a very masculine trait). He suits me in that he's practical. Sure, he gathers up and chases down souls. And deer, once in a while. And he has those scary dogs. And that nasty-tempered horse. But he sees all souls pretty much the same. Not in Annwyn yet? Well, off you go. Nope, I didn't ask if you were the good guy or the bad guy, I said, off you go! He'll drop off someone who's due to make recompense before they go, just as he'll drop off the sweet old lady who has never hurt a fly.

There's something very soothing about his impartiality, in the way that the sun smiles down upon us all--no exceptions. He carries all Home. No exceptions. Death and life are very much the same in that way... they both come to all of us. The sun shines on all, death comes for everyone eventually.

Impartiality works both ways, and that's very much evident in Gwyn's nature and activity as a psychopomp.
          Hmm... I really like the way you talk about him. I'll do a little research and meditation myself and come back and let you know what I think. *grin*

Comment

When I think of opposites I cannot possibly be more attracted to the polarity of that between Demeter and Hades, with poor Persephone as the catalyst.

In the mythology (according to my memory, so please do correct if I am incorrect!), Hades is the god of the Underworld and Demeter is the goddess of Agriculture/Crops. Hades abducted Persephone, sending Demeter to search endlessly for her progeny. Eventually she gets to the bottom of the situation only to discover that Persephone had eaten a magical pomegranate and therefore must spend 1/3 of her life in the Underworld, FOREVER.

While Persephone is in the Underwold, Demeter goes into a depression, thus explaining: winter.

To me, this is a prime example of how "good" and "bad" must work together in order to create sustainable life on this planet. That idea is really where I think the power is, but if you want gods to follow then I suggest spending some time with Hades and Demeter, since they hate each other but their story cannot be told without the other.
            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

The goddess that I use for my online name is an interesting mix. From what I have read concerning Anunitu she is a Goddess of birth,and and a Goddess of war as well,and is considered a moon Goddess. I have seen where she is considered from Sumeria and also sometimes from Babylon.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
              X