Question About the Symbolism of the Crossroads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question About the Symbolism of the Crossroads

I have been branching out into other realms of powerful 'craftlike', ritualistic symbolism, such as voodoo/hoodoo/wiccan/greek/etc, and I happened upon the idea of the crossroads.

Now, I understand the abbreviated symbolism behind the crossroads (divergence of two roads), but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with incorporating them into your spellwork (or whatever you wanna call it).

My thing is this: I encounter crossroads all the time, but I don't feel like throwing a pouch into the middle of the street where it's just going to get smothered by tires! I don't know where any rivers cross either :O

Anyway, any light you could shed on the lore would be helpful, and please share any experiences you have when dealing with the Crossroads.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Re: Question About the Symbolism of the Crossroads

Crossroads are all about choice and the verging of the spiritual with the mundane. The popular symbol for the Earth (an equilateral cross within a circle) is one of my favorite crossroad symbols, because not only does it represent the crossroads (to me) it also represents the Four Elements and the Medicine Wheel.

My favorite deities have always been crossroads deities and spirits, such as Papa Legba, Hecate and Ganesha. They help when you have questions or to help empower your spiritual or magical perceptions.

Another version of the crossroads I like is the divergent roads (Algiz in the Elder Futhark, which some also call the crows foot when it is reversed. It is basically the peace sign reversed without the circle). Although each path leads forward there are four options of turning back, keeping on the linear path, the left hand path or the right hand path? You can break this down (left and right hand path) into their spiritual philosophies as well (which do you choose?).

Another crossroads symbol, although not as well known, is the 'T', or a road crossing at the top instead of the middle of the other road. You only have three choices or paths to take, but to me it is more of a symbol representing the Triple Aspect or Thor's Hammer- the three faces of the feminine power or the might of the warrior because no matter what path you choose their will likely be battles and wisdoms won along the way.

Another crossroads I like, also because I practice chaos magic, is the chaostar or eight pointed star. You have nine paths- the center and the eight directions. Of course, being the chaos symbol it represents an infinite amount of possibilities. When you draw a circle around the star and take away the arrow tipped points you get the symbol for Ether in ceremonial magic. Once again, verging the mundane with the spiritual. You can also equate the chaostar with the Noble Eight Fold Path of Buddhism- which path will you work on today?

Comment

Hey love, I just found this link. Not sure if it's helpful in the slightest, but I thought I'd toss it your way!

Mostly art.

Comment

For me the cross-roads are not a clear identifier.

For instance in ancient lore a cross roads was always a "Y" shaped intersection. It basically spoke of what lay behind you, what lays before you and the path not taken which is always a what if scenario. Hecate / Hekate and Hermes are associated with this cross-roads. Marked with Herms for Hermes, a cairn of stones later replaced by a pillar or Hecaktion (sp) three masks with one facing each direction upon a pillar. A side note that later image of Hecate's three forms back up against a pillar reflective of the cross-roads association and perhaps the original three masks hung there.

The un-civilized nature and association to the "Y" cross-roads coupled to the sense of limbo or oblivion. Perhaps one of the reason for hanging and burial of criminals there to prevent their angry spirits from finding their way back to the city or town.

The typical "X" cross roads representing the wheel. The "T" cross-roads reflective of the termination of ones pathway and the commencement of a new direction or purpose. Yet still retaining the path not taken aspect though the "T" offers only one option while the "X" offers three.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
        X