Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any idea on wind chimes??

Hi Everyone
    I have been looking into Folk Lore and Folk Magic lately and noticed that there are numerous things that have certain meanings.
    Like for instance planting Rosemary by your front door to ward off bad spirits...just to name an example.
    I was meditating and kept "seeing" wind chimes. but i cant seem to find anything about them. what they supposedly
    "do"...the meaning behind why they were hung up back in the day...(and still today but clearly by lots of people simply for decoration)
    yet i cant get my mind off of wind chimes ever since that day.
    does anyone know anything about them?? any superstition, meaning, folk lore...anything really lol
    all help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Any idea on wind chimes??

they were originally used in ancient rome where they were called Tintinnabulum, originally made of bells with a central phallus it was belived that the sound of the bells would keep evil spirits away. while the phallus was thought to be a symbol of good fortune and a charm against evil.

they were also used in eastern and southern asia on pagoda's one to keep evil spirits away, but also to scare off birds so they didnt crap all over the place.

Comment

A few years ago, before I really got into Paganism I could not get my mind off of wind chimes. So, I got a couple and hung them in my room! I love when I have the fan lightly blowing the chimes and listening to some music (especially when it's raining outside and I have the window open) So, I use them for relaxation and meditation. As Kahlenda said, Chimes (and most types of bells it seems) many times were used for warding off evil spirits, inviting benevolent ones, scaring birds off and at times to bring good luck and can also be a symbol serenity and tranquility.

Comment

We use bells for protection and cleansing - and I mean bells because Mr Penry does not do anything by halves. The largest we have weighs about 500 lbs or so... we call it Clarence the Clanger. It was made in about 1858 by the firm that made the very first Liberty Bell in the US (the better known one apparently is a replacement because the first one cracked to buggery and back )

The larger the bell, the less you have to ring it for protective purposes.

Only - and I know this will not make me popular - I loathe wind chimes. Don't know why but they really irritate me. I suspect it is because there is no such thing as a gentle breeze in my part of the world. It's either deathly still or a force 9 gale...
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Wow thanks allot for the great and quick responses...this explains allot! interesting though isnt it?! how so many objects have/had so many different meanings...and are/were symbols for different people and cultures.
          I love history!! lol

Comment

Does the dream catcher also be considered as a wind chimes?What dream catcher brings?

Comment

No a dream catcher is nothing like a wind chime because it is silent. It is the sound of metal that is supposed to be protective - a tradition that dates back to ancient times and explains why they originally put bells on churches! (and temples)

A dream catcher works by literally 'catching' bad elements in a dream within its threads.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Wind-chimes are great to keep peace in your home. They ward off negative energy and sounds beautiful at the same time. Same with bells, and a protection sachet. But, again, wind-chimes also sound beautiful and are calming. At least to me. I realize this post is like 3 years old, but the answer is still the same!

Comment

only a couple weeks old Marie, you're fine. 3 years without an update would have closed the thread ages ago.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                    (the better known one apparently is a replacement because the first one cracked to buggery and back )
                    It's the crack in the original one that's famous! they don't ring it anymore, but when they have a pic of the liberty bell its always got the massive crack right there!
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

This reminds me I have repair a couple of our wind chimes that where damaged over the winter here. We have lots of them around our home including one that also serves a our door bell. It has a handle that protrudes below the chimes that also acts as a strike/klanger. Not sure what the part that catches the wind and makes it hit strike the chimes is called. :/
                      Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Working...
                      X