White animals (not just stags)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White animals (not just stags)

I'm wondering if there's any celtic-specific relevance to animals being white. Not just animals that are usually white but say..a white bear that isn't a polar bear.

I'm asking because on my last visit with my animal spirit guides, one of them had turned white. She wasn't white before. It then came to my attention that my totem and another guide I often speak with are also both white. But they've both always been white and are animals where that is a norm for their species. Anything I have found on the matter is either very generic or doesn't seem to fit/make sense at all. And the only celtic references I can really find refer specifically to the stag and no other animals.

Any ideas/input would be awesome. Thanks. <3
    My Tumblr
    My Webcomic
    My Twitter

Re: White animals (not just stags)

White usually denotes purity, spiritual authority and protection, but I am not part of a Celtic ideology, so I could be way off. Sometimes cross cultural research will put it into perspective for you. Whatever your totems are, look into their normal attributes than add the attributes of white to that totem. For example a tiger is fierce, protective and patient. A White Tiger could then represent wisdom in battle, protection of children and innocents and immortality.

Comment

There are a few deities who are said to become white <insert associated animal> when they are in animal form, or that their messenger animal is white. I've even read a fair few stories that say the Faerie Queen/Leader/Ruler is associated with white animals (swans, does, etc...).

Once I saw an albino snake in my yard (I live in a region where the only white snake would have to be an albino of some sort).

Altogether, the main message I get with white animals is that they are somehow connected to other-worldly realms and knowledge. Whatever that means to you is up to your own interpretation. Maybe it helps.

Comment

Any chance that they're light gray?

Comment

In Celtic Mythology white animals with red ears are from the otherworld. (in the mabanogion there are dogs and a stag, in Irish myth there are cattle) There is also Rhiannon's horse which is also from the otherworld

Comment

Although she is not of the Celtic tradition, White Buffalo Woman is white in some of her forms. If you don't mind my asking, what animal is she? It might help us figure it out.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys As to the animal, the one that changed is a bear. She always looked like a grizzly to me. She has only changed colour, not shape, and so doesn't look like a polar bear, simply a white grizzly. The other two are an arctic fox and a snowy owl and thus are expected to be white, and that fact may just be coincidental with my she-bear friend.
              She was definitely white though. I was actually admonished by my Shaman guide, saying that I needed to spend more time with my animal allies and it was when I was began doing this that I first noticed the change.
              I also haven't ruled out that maybe she just felt like appearing white for a while, but if there -is- a message there, I want to make sure I cover my bases and don't miss it.
              My Tumblr
              My Webcomic
              My Twitter

Comment

One of Hecate's animals is the owl and Hecate is related to Morrighan in certain schools of thought. Morrighan is the triple aspect of Babd, Macha and Morighan (war and magic, if I am correct). Morrighan is the first banshee and the owl is a nocturnal creature, so maybe some sort of transformation is on your way, although it may be met with resistance and 'violence'.

I also just learned that the bear is related to the North Star, so maybe your life is heading in a very meaningful direction.

Comment

There's a kind of black bear that is white (not albino) called a spirit bear. Some native lore says it represents peace, or that Creator turned them white to remind us of the hardships of living in the last ice age.

Comment

White Buffalo Calf Woman Comes Dancing does take a final form of a white buffalo but it's more indicative of a spirit being and reflective of the importance the buffalo held for the plains nations and especially the Lakota nation of the Sioux. As such I think it is both a reminder of the sacred teachings of White Buffalo Calf Woman Comes Dancing as a teacher and spirit being. I think she is also connected to Wankan Tanka but it's been some time since I last reflected upon her or her teachings and cultural meaning.

With regard to white creature's in general I tend to think most people associate them to the spirit realm. Many times I believe being regarded as messengers but not regarded as totems, guides, shadow totems, power animals or such.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by wisp View Post
                    Thanks for all the suggestions guys As to the animal, the one that changed is a bear. She always looked like a grizzly to me. She has only changed colour, not shape, and so doesn't look like a polar bear, simply a white grizzly. The other two are an arctic fox and a snowy owl and thus are expected to be white, and that fact may just be coincidental with my she-bear friend.
                    She was definitely white though. I was actually admonished by my Shaman guide, saying that I needed to spend more time with my animal allies and it was when I was began doing this that I first noticed the change.
                    I also haven't ruled out that maybe she just felt like appearing white for a while, but if there -is- a message there, I want to make sure I cover my bases and don't miss it.
                    Just an aside though but I wonder if your white grizzly is representative of the change in environment and association? Made me think of the recent story of the grizzly that was killed that was from a union of polar and grizzly bear so it had traits and features of both. I would suppose that it could be bear as a generic animal yet also cross over traits of both the polar and grizzly bear. Perhaps even evolution of your bear guide and evolution of your own pathway.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

In the old days of Celtic spirituality, white was the color of the underworld. So it was the color of death, and also the color of occultic spiritual knowledge. Bears are symbolic in Celtic mysteries of bravery.

So it sounds to me like you are being encouraged to be more bold in your spiritual search or in sharing your occultic knowledge.

Comment

Thank you guys, again for your suggestions. The underworld/otherworld guide aspect seems a strong lead as does a new path, especially involving my spirituality. I've been getting some very similar readings with my Ogham oracle lately. The cross-cultural info is really interesting to me, as well, and this has all been incredibly helpful.

Thanks again everyone. You're fantastic <3
                        My Tumblr
                        My Webcomic
                        My Twitter

Comment

Working...
                        X