The Travel Altar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Travel Altar

Recently, I have come into a point in my life where I will need a travel altar that can be used anywhere. And so, this thread is born!

What kinds of things do you carry in your travel altar? Pictures are appreciated! What do you use each item for?

Re: The Travel Altar

My body (Earth) is my altar, so I always have a knife (Air) [that I also use for mundane things, because the mundane needs more magic]). In my wallet is a picture of Shiva in meditation and a pentacle and I always wear my silver interlaced Triple Moon (Water/Spirit) pendant with an old key with a lion (Fire/Spirit) engraved on it to represent the God and Goddess as a part of me. I have a tattoo of Baphomet on my right arm (I got it to always have the androgynous power of creation, life and magic near me and as a reminder of my path) and a mini family crest on my left that I got with my father and older brother (family is important, and it has waves and flames on either side and means 'Heavenly Bodies' in Japanese [Hoshi], so Water, Fire, and Spirit bless it).

In my jacket I usually wear has a knife (Air), a pen (Fire), a hemp sack with a Celtic knot that carries my money and a piece a jade someone traded me (Earth) and napkins because I am a crybaby. Not really, but I have at least weekly tea outings with my father and it's always good to have napkins (that I just dedicated to Water, thank to this post!).

I have several other instant altars for different purposes. Mainly because I collect magical tools in all sorts of shapes and sizes and need to put them in safe places because I already have too many tools and books (I basically cuddle with my books).

I can't give you pictures because I don't have a camera and my computer cam doesn't work.

Comment

I met some girls from Saskatchewan once, last summer, who were living in a van and travelling Canada, and in their van, they turned the dashboard into an altar that went everywhere they did. And it was just covered in a simple scarf, and then piled high with stones, and sticks, seashells, notes from friends along the way, a birds nest, and whatever else they found in nature.

Keeping it simple seems the best bet.

Mostly art.

Comment

erhmm, does the planet count?

Shrug, I'm not big on material ties to faith. Have a few, just not many. I can find elemental ties* everywhere and my dealings with Divine don't require much so I don't really carry a lot.

* sun or stars stand in for fire
        ground is earth
        I breathe air
        and water flows in my veins
        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

tea lights, a simple multi-purpose incense, sea salt (that I made myself), (Druid) elemental representations (sea, sky and land-->a shell, a feather, and acorn), some thread, fabric squares and a needle, and some twine (for spells or talismen), and a bowl
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I can do basically anything I need with nature around me, a candle, a lighter, and a knife.

Mostly art.

Comment

When I was unable to get well anything for my alter some time ago I drew one in my journal instead. I feel it pleased my gods quite a bit and that was enough for me. The fact that it was literally inside a composition notebook made it very portable. In a similar vein the thought of a pop up book altar has occurred to me... I might do something with that....
              Circe

Comment

I keep it all in a special little box and then just take the box with me. You want it to be small and you don't want there to be an athame or any potions in it because the TSA will make you get rid of those (assuming you're traveling by air) after giving you some peculiar stares. Even if you're traveling by car or train or bus or boat, you probably want it to be small since you can always add things to it as you go.

I imagine that while you're IN transit though, no one is going to allow a candle to be lit. Remove all matches and lighters from your bags and person if you're flying by air, but when you land it should be simple enough to hit up a gas station for a pack of matches.

(I intentionally left out an athame because, well, them airport folk sniffed around my HERBS plenty last time, so I thought it would be best to avoid further complications)

MY BOX ALTAR ITEMS:
                (I am missing a wand because I am waiting for an order of neodymium magnets. It's a rare earth metal and with 10-20 of them (always even though) you can make a double-stacked magnetic wand. Which I find awesome.) - Any stick'll do though XP

- swatch of cloth
                - candle
                - matches (so that it matches the picture - pun FTW)
                - loose herbs like lavender and chamomile and St. Johns Wort
                - stones and shells and coins
                - one flat shell/thing to burn said candle on

No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I don't have a travel altar, but I do carry a pouch with stones that I've assigned direction/season/element correspondence to. The pouch itself can fit into my pocket or bag really easily. And then I just set up a wheel with the stones or even just handle them, and I'm good to go. But then my altar at home is very sparse so far.
                  My Tumblr
                  My Webcomic
                  My Twitter

Comment

I'm also not big on using a lot of material things (or rather, feeling a need to use them -- I do use a lot at home because I like playing instruments and working with tea and etc. and I need the instruments and tea tools and whatever).

I have a pouch of clay 'stones' that I made myself that I carry sometimes so I can set up a quick 'altar' if I feel I need it. I often don't even get them out unless I really want something physical and symbolic to work with.

I just have a pentacle, four elemental stones, and a stone each for the Lord and Lady. It's very basic. A lot of people make a ton of them, often called 'witching stones.' You can even buy them. I think it's a bit much.

I also tend to carry art supplies (actually, the stones, I keep in my pencil bag) so I can always create something I may need, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X