Mixing Pantheons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing Pantheons

What are peoples thoughts on mixing gods/goddesses from different pantheons? For example say one day I do something for Artemis (greek) and then a week later I do something for Freya (Norse).
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Re: Mixing Pantheons

Be polite about it, do your research and try to avoid calling two Powers that might hate each other into the same circle.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

YEah, I worship 6 deities from 5 different pantheons, one of which is fictional (not all at the same time), as well as one not-really-a-deity. I've not yet encountered problems..although, the deities in question all carry through the same theme (water-based deities)
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        YEah, I worship 6 deities from 5 different pantheons, one of which is fictional (not all at the same time), as well as one not-really-a-deity. I've not yet encountered problems..although, the deities in question all carry through the same theme (water-based deities)
        Asherat-of-the-Sea?

Mostly art.

Comment

I don't see anything wrong with mixing pantheons so long as you keep each one in a culturally correct format. For example dressing in a toga and chanting in Hebrew while dancing around a statue of Osiris and trying to contact Hel is offensive to the deities and the cultures involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Claude View Post
            I don't see anything wrong with mixing pantheons so long as you keep each one in a culturally correct format. For example dressing in a toga and chanting in Hebrew while dancing around a statue of Osiris and trying to contact Hel is offensive to the deities and the cultures involved.
            Ohhhh I can imagine how that would be offensive lol.

I am currently trying to find original source type information on different deities, their characters, their stories etc which is proving a bit messy :/ I havent worked out yet how Artemis became associated with the moon...
            There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
            William Wordsworth

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
              Asherat-of-the-Sea?
              Lol, how'd you guess?!?!
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

My primary deities are greek and kemetic. It's debatable if the greek ones are even considered deities or forces of nature since they were born from chaos...
                Anyway my point is feel free to mix but try not to mix at the same time unless theyre okay with it.
                Circe

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
                  What are peoples thoughts on mixing gods/goddesses from different pantheons?
                  I think it depends entirely on the deities in question. I'm a hard-core polytheist, so that influences my thoughts and experiences regarding the topic. I'm also part Demonolator... so many of the deities I work with belong not only to the 'Demonic pantheons' but also to an original, cultural pantheon. I think some deities are quite happy to work with deities from outside of their own pantheon, but then others aren't. I don't believe there is anything inherently 'wrong' with mixing pantheons if it is done in a respectful manner and in an appropriate cultural context. But at the end of the day I feel that only the deities involved can say whether they are happy to do so or not. The goddess that I am sworn to is from the Norse pantheon, but She sends me to other deities (often in other pantheons) sometimes, so evidently She has no problem with the concept.

Also... I think that it's important to remember that not all deities like the other deities in their OWN pantheon. Just because they are from the same cultural pantheon doesn't meant that they get along or will be willing to work together. I'm primarily Northern Tradition, and if I presumed to call Loki and Heimdall into the same working I may end up with some trouble on my hands!

Comment

There have already been so many great posts for this topic. I am a major polytheist too. I have deep relationship with many deities from many different pantheons, but I am careful about who I invite to the table at the same time. One god/dess might be cool with a random gather, but another one isn't. It is important to really know the deities that you are working with and have a clear understanding of how they might interact with deities that are from other areas of the world and other energies. Sometimes energies that seem compatible on the surface end up clashing. It is all about having strong relationship with these entities.

Comment

I think a great deal of worshiping gods / goddesses from differing pantheons depends upon the social and cultural make up of the people who worshiped them and how they did so. In that regard I think it also depends upon regional understanding of a given god / goddess and their own place within a given pantheon. For instance Ephesian Artemis as a fertility goddess matches up pretty good with Freya yet Taurian Artemis with her blood sacrifice is not a great match with Freya. Yet Artemis in her many guises matched pretty clearly to the Egyptian goddess Bastet and Pahket yet doesnot do so well with Sehkmet. Yet Sehkmet does match up to Taurian Artemis in many ways and ways of acting.
                      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I believe you can mix Pantheons. In Shinto everything is considered Kami including foreign deities who were called Banshin. Just remember to pay proper respect and everything should be good I think.

Comment

Working...
                        X