The shielding thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shielding thread

So, what i wanna do is to make a topic where everyone posts their way how they create their shield. This could be usefull for beginners and could also give ideas to advanced people.

It's simple, just post the way you make your shield. How you visualize it, what kind of thoughts you have in your head, kinda like that.
    Also, post what kind of shield it is, normal, mirrored, etc..

Thanks
    Please, just call me Ghost

I want to be like the moon. A lonely observator of earth, watching the people live, love and die

Knowledge destroys enemies, too much knowledge makes enemies ~Ghost~

It doesn't matter how you practice your magick. As long as the thought behind it is clear, it will work

Re: The shielding thread

Most of the time I make use of the simple normal or "bubble" shields. I just center all of my energy into my solar plexus, program it with its task ("absorb and ground all negative thoughts and energies around me," etc.) and how long I want it to stay up before it dissipates, and make it expand into a egg-shaped aura around me. I smooth it out with visualizations, make sure there aren't any dents and such, and I'm done.

There are also the handy mirrored shields. For me the process is pretty much the same as the bubble shield, except perhaps for the wording while programing it ("reflect all negative/envious/vengeful thoughts and intentions back to their casters&quot, and, needless to say, the outside of the shield is mirrored. If I create several layers of shields, the mirrored shield is always the outermost one, to prevent anything from breaking through, say, a bubble shield and then deflecting off a mirrored shield and hitting the bubble shield a second time.

If I feel the need to "upgrade" the bubble shield, there is what I have seen referred to as the "marshmallow" shield. It's the same principal as the bubble shield, but many extra layers of energy are added to it until it is a foot or so thick. If you visualize the shield as being made of something akin to melted marshmallow, it is useful for absorbing heavy attacks and whatnot.

Finally, if I feel the need to be more offensive in my defenses, I made this one up on my own - I call it the Landmine shield. First I make several layers of bubble shields, then for the Landmine, it starts off almost the same as a bubble shield, but it is a fiery violet color. I make it expand as usual, and then add clusters of "bombs" all over. These "bombs" are psi orbs that have been programmed to explode on contact when met with a conscious psychic, magical, or mental attack, at which time the attacker not only is met with their own spell or whatever, but also the force of the Landmine shield.

For all types of shields, I find it very helpful to ground myself to the Earth and absorb some of her energies so that I'm not constantly feeding the shields my own energy and wearing myself out.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Comment

I don't shield...I don't really find it necessary, even if I thought it were literally possible.

Instead, I have a sort of philosophy that I am in control of my actions and reactions to what is directed towards me.

I came across this blog entry by Diane Sylvan...I think it does a better job at explaining my philosophy on the matter than I can.

(comments in italics are mine, the bold is the take home message)
      And when you receive hatred from another, you are the one that allows it to settle in your soul and feed off of it, or not...if you nurture angst over another's hatred or anger or ill wishes, you are cause the ill that you feel--not them.

This is magic.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

About the only thing I do that might be considered a shield is when I cast a circle ... Then it is like a big bubble ... Other than that I use grounding moreover than shielding ... For me that is quite effective ...
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I don't know if what I do would be considered a shield or not. If I am feeling scared, or sad, or really having any negative energy feelings I take that negative energy and push it away from me. Then try to visualize a glowing yellow protective energy that I like to call my "happy bubble". After a few minutes I feel much better. But I doubt my "happy bubble" would protect me from any external harm.
          sigpic

Comment

As far as I know basic shielding involves imaging a structure of some kind surrounding you like a bubble, dome, tower, etc. More advanced shielding is like concentrating on what is a shield (a lot harder and more confusing than you may think) its hard to describe like you become a shield or it becomes you? I don't know how to explain it.
            Using the second method I've never had anything get through my shield. It can also be done sub conciuosly like a reflex rather than visualizing and creating a shield. Their is little energy drain because there is no projection. Again its hard to understand but it can still be layered also(maybe its some kind of compact bubble shield?) Anyway I use three substances glass, stone and sometimes metal.
            You may be thinking glass?! Its fragile and breakable! Its really not to energy at least. Only the most violent attacks shatter the glass after that is stone (more obvious for that choice) then sometimes a thin metal. This confuses me and its more like you understand it and it works or you don't. Just think of the essence of the material.
            Circe

Comment

Thx all but could someone post here how to ground? cause some people (like me >.&gt don't always fully know how to ground.
              Please, just call me Ghost

I want to be like the moon. A lonely observator of earth, watching the people live, love and die

Knowledge destroys enemies, too much knowledge makes enemies ~Ghost~

It doesn't matter how you practice your magick. As long as the thought behind it is clear, it will work

Comment

[quote author=ghosthaunter link=topic=721.msg11177#msg11177 date=1289317289]
                Thx all but could someone post here how to ground? cause some people (like me >.&gt don't always fully know how to ground.
                [/quote]

Because I'm lazy an holding a sick baby in my lap, here's a good site...though I recommend taking the pseudoscience aspect of it with a grain of salt.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

A lazy way to ground is to just carry some fools gold(iron pyrite) it grounds but it can interfere with some things.
                  Circe

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=721.msg10971#msg10971 date=1289252160]
                    I don't shield...I don't really find it necessary, even if I thought it were literally possible.

Instead, I have a sort of philosophy that I am in control of my actions and reactions to what is directed towards me.

I came across this blog entry by Diane Sylvan...I think it does a better job at explaining my philosophy on the matter than I can.

(comments in italics are mine, the bold is the take home message)
                    [/quote]

I think shielding is a way of visualizing how we react to energy.. "Mirroring" happens when other people's energy reflects your own... it has to do with the fact that we control our reality.. we're going to be drawn to other people that have the same energy as we do... because we control everything we experience in this life..it's kind of like a virtual reality game.. people seem to carry a certain energy because we do at the time... if we're angry we're going to see anger in everyAone etc etc.
                    Sooo if we're around all this negative energy.. I think that the best way to stop it is to first heal what's going on within yourself.... (you're angry, you figure out why, you forgive whoever pissed you off, and/or forgive yourself). Which can be easier said than done- So what I like to do is visualize what I call a semi-permial membrane sheild around myself lol This sheild stops me (binds me) from creating negative energy towards myself or others..by filling me with light and love. At the same time it stops the negative crap from getting past my shield by bouncing it back to the other person...as light. I like to think that my shield grounds the energy. I ask that only good energy gets in. Ok I'm rambling.... Here's what I do when I shield LOL I visualize myself in an egg shaped ball of light that acts like a mirror on the outside and inside. The only thing that can get through it is good energy. Negative energy from myself or others gets transferred to good energy through god/goddess and is sent back to whoever sent it. phew. I hope that made some sense, I'm tired and my brain's foggy.
                    As above, so below.

Comment

[quote author=sunlight link=topic=721.msg11956#msg11956 date=1289486694]
                      I think shielding is a way of visualizing how we react to energy.

[snip]

I hope that made some sense, I'm tired and my brain's foggy.
                      [/quote]

I know what you are saying, and I'm not knocking what other people do that makes people feel better...but I think I stopped shielding about 2-3 years into my 18 years of Pagan practice. I just find it unnecessary at this point in how I have chosen to view and interact in the world.
                      sigpic

Comment

Here's what I forgot to put in my reply... sheilding's not necessary if you know how you respond to energy, or if you're shielded subconsciously, or by a god/goddess, or whatever! For me it's a tool to help me reflect the energy away from myself because I'm really sensitive to energy and it used to be hard for me to distinguish my energy/emotions, from others. I tend to get sick easily from negative energy.. and when I feel myself getting manipulated from energy I use the shielding to remind myself of what's really going on.
                        As above, so below.

Comment

In additional response to the grounding question (i'll type out the shielding when I have more time) is what I do is if possible, I go outside and sit on the ground and visualize the energy flowing down my body and back to the earth. If that is not possible I do it inside the same way.

Comment

[quote author=Amber link=topic=721.msg11966#msg11966 date=1289488730]
                            In additional response to the grounding question (i'll type out the shielding when I have more time) is what I do is if possible, I go outside and sit on the ground and visualize the energy flowing down my body and back to the earth. If that is not possible I do it inside the same way.
                            [/quote]

I might add too, because this made me think of it...that while I don't find shielding necessary (which are reasons similar to some of why I no longer find casting a circle necessary), I'm a big fan of grounding and centering. On pretty much at least a daily basis.

IMO, best time for both...the shower/tub.
                            sigpic

Comment

All grounding really is is connecting your aura to that of the Earth and either drawing her energy into yourself or allowing undesired energies to flow out of you. One of the most common ways of doing this is to visualize yourself as a tree with roots that burrow deep into the ground. There's no wrong way to do it, really.
                              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
                              X