Pagan Fairy Tales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan Fairy Tales

So during a convosation, me and lillium came to realise that there arnt actually any specific pagan Fairy tales out there, at least not that we can find. so we decided to write some, so we have compleated one tonight, and ill post it up for people, let us know what you think please, and this tale is free to use, just please credit us when using it

so this tale is called:

The wasteful man. By Lillium and Kahl

Manyyears ago there lived two men, one was a good man, he loved nature,never took more than he needed and always respected and helped theanimals in the woods, he was named, Astaru.
    Theother was an ignorant man, he chopped down living tree's for firewood, he hunted animals not because he was hungry but for fur andantlers, he was named Zethan,

"HA!what can nature do to me?" Zethan laughed and started to wackmore plants apart Astaru sighed and walked back out of the forest.Upset for the forest and upset for Zethan and his ignorence.
    Oneday a massive storm came, the rain pounded on the hills and on thetrees and the wind ripped through the lands tossing leaves into theair. Astaru and Zethan were both scared, and ran into the forest totry and escape the storm.

Zethanheard him and climbed for the tree nearest to him and yet , even ashis hand grapsed the first branch it broke off, sending him back tothe ground. He tried another branch and this broke off, he triedanother tree and another and another!

Re: Pagan Fairy Tales

There are tons of Pagan fairly tales. Aesop's fables, a ton of the minor tales of the gods or culture heroes of various pantheons... I guess it would depend on how you're defining fairy tale, but it seems to me there are quite a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

As for your story itself, it needs some editing but overall it is good. You have the structure and message down, but you should go through it and fix the typos and errors, and clean up the dialogue a bit.

You're off to a great start- first drafts are always a bit fuzzy. I think this is a cool idea to write these up, especially since there aren't fairy tales that deal with modern issues
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

ok ill rephrase, there arnt many fables (including aesops which i have read) that are specific to pagan idea's, rather they are ancient myths and stories. i know there are norse myths and fairy tales and celtic ones and egyption and greek. but i was thinking about fairy tales like the hare and the tortoise, or hansel and gretle things that teach you a lesson, but one specific to paganism.

Comment

There is also the entirety of Grecian Myth.

Mostly art.

Comment

In a way, the myths themselves are pagan fairy tales. The Grimms/Aesop type fairy tales we think of today were merely the latest incarnation of mythology. Cool story, but it needs a bit of grammatical editing, as Mal pointed out

Comment

haha ill admit to the grammer and punctuation being crap but it's quarter to three in the morning im tired lol. but thanks people

Comment

Very true, there are hardly any pagan fairy tales to be found!! which only leaves one thing to do...write them yourself!!!
              Me loves loves loves the story!! Wonderful job Kahl but then you already know i <3 your writing!! And yes i say so *smiles*
              really hope everyone enjoys it as much as i did!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
                ok ill rephrase, there arnt many fables (including aesops which i have read) that are specific to pagan idea's, rather they are ancient myths and stories. i know there are norse myths and fairy tales and celtic ones and egyption and greek. but i was thinking about fairy tales like the hare and the tortoise, or hansel and gretle things that teach you a lesson, but one specific to paganism.
                Ah, I see, that is a lot more clear.

Comment

something i could tell my children as i tuck them into bed at night, that doesnt involve the scary bad witch
                  or the evil horrible animals, or the dark creepy forest. but that also doesnt deal heavily with mythology and theology making them feel like its a lesson.

Comment

something i could tell my children as i tuck them into bed at night, that doesnt involve the scary bad witch
                    or the evil horrible animals, or the dark creepy forest. but that also doesnt deal heavily with mythology and theology making them feel like its a lesson.
                    Yeah... The scary bad witch is something I worry about explaining to (well, fingers crossed we make a family together and my girlfriend is the one) any future children I have. Having fairy tales where mommy would be the villain seems... Awkward as hell.

So yeah, write up some more of these.

Comment

I'd read the original Grimms tales to my children. They gotta grow up knowing death is a part of life.

Mostly art.

Comment

true, vol but the earlest grimms tales were written in the dark ages, lots of evil witchs and bad animals in them

Comment

If you really read Grimms and other collections, you can see the older stories in there quite easily. The Grimms brothers often put their own moralistic spin on things, but it's there, especially in the first editions (which they made fewer changes to....Grimms actually evolved over several years and morphed from an academic collection to a book meant for children). If you want to find other older versions of those popular stories, many are found in other, earlier collections under different names. The morals are all different there. Rapunzel gets knocked up, Cinderella had a vicious MOTHER (not step mother), etc.

- - - Updated - - -

true, vol but the earlest grimms tales were written in the dark ages, lots of evil witchs and bad animals in them
                          Grimms as we know it is the product of Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm. If you know more about their source materials, you'll know how stories changed. Many of the stories were also recent. They adapted a few from popular authors of the day, and some of their sources had made up stories as well as passed them on. I really recommend the recent edition by Philip Pullman. He weaves together various editions, and explains some of the sources of the stories.

I'd also check out Andrew Lang's collections. They're not as well written, as Lang was simply a translator and collector. However, they're interesting collections of other collections from various cultures (mostly European). Basile's Pentamerone is a much earlier collection with different versions of the most popular stories (much of Grimms sources stemmed from Italian fairy tales).

Also, if you read the Grimms collection (all of it), you'll find that while there are evil witches and bad animals, there are also good fairies, helpful witches, and helpful animals in many stories.

Comment

So during a convosation, me and lillium came to realise that there arnt actually any specific pagan Fairy tales out there, at least not that we can find. so we decided to write some, so we have compleated one tonight, and ill post it up for people, let us know what you think please, and this tale is free to use, just please credit us when using it
                            While these aren't exactly Fairy Tales, we were playing around with this idea a while back. You might find them entertaining:

Pagans need harsh values to teach their children
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I'm curious as to why not just change the word that is used? In Greek tales for instance Medea is an Sorceress while Circe is an Enchantress, there not witches. That usage would not come for some time. Granted I would think a lot of the fairy tales one might use would be reflective of whatever mythology your gods / goddesses might hail from or you are trying to introduce your children to.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X