Where to find small animal bones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find small animal bones?

My sister's birthday is coming up, and I would like to get her a new set of divination bones. Her current set has a few that are broken or cracked, and I think it would be time for her to get some new ones before they turn to dust.

My sister's current set comprises of mouse, fox, bird, and snake bones. In other words, small bones that are no bigger than 4 inches in length.

Where could I obtain small animal bones like the ones from above? I don't wish to purchase entire skeletons, but that is all I have been able to find.

And no, I'm not comfortable trapping/searching for roadkill. I'm sensitive to dead corpses xD

Re: Where to find small animal bones?

Try WWW dot hideandfur dot com (sorry, I don't have enough posts to post urls)

This is the Moscow (Idaho) Hide and Fur Company. I've always been satisfied with both product and service.
    Last edited by Rick; 10 Jun 2013, 23:39.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
    Tribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Walk through the woods if you know any good ones with some wildlife. I find bones all the time.

Sounds like she could use some aquatic bones too!
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I've heard good things about The Bone Room: http://www.boneroom.com/welcome.aspx?p=home

I've also heard good things about The Moscow Hide and Fur company, which Rick listed.

Alas I can't use either of them because I live in Australia and we have quarantine laws about that sort of thing

Also, if you happen to be on LiveJournal there's a community there full of people who sell and trade bones, hides and animal bits.

Comment

I would just walk down the road, there's heaps of road kill where I live... Mostly kangaroos and some emus.. Those bones might be too big though :P
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Also, there are legalities involved in the US, as far as keeping and collecting bones...or any other animal remains from undomesticated animals in the wild. Even bird feathers, and most especially beach finds that are thought to belong to sea mammals (the exact regulations vary depending on the type of animal--for example, animal remains from animals hunted by permit are okay). Unless you have a permit for other reasons, its better just to buy it from a dealer that has a permit.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I knew a girl who collected bones from the woods. Carcasses are usually picked over quite well and quite quickly (at least around here) so she could usually find bare bones somewhere, if she looked hard enough, within a few hours. We can also find quite a few antlers during the shed in late winter early spring (a single tine might be small enough, though even if not I've seen quite a few pretty amazing sculptures done with antlers and these are always great finds, and nothing has to die for shed antlers which is pretty nice).
              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Working...
              X