What did you learn from other deities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What did you learn from other deities

No matter what religion you are, I ask if anyone looked at other religions and learned something from other deities. I aknowledge all of the gods and goddesses and even though I'm into Buddhism and Buddha isn't really a god (Although like a god, he definitely knew abilities and knew things other humans didn't know) I learned other things from Hinduism, Judaism Christianity, Heathen deities and Greek deities. I wonder if any of you honor any other deities aside from your own religion and if you learned anything from them or were enlightened by what they said.

Re: What did you learn from other deities

I don't really work with deities too much anymore, but what I have learned from them is that when you pay enough respect and treat them like valuable friends, they seem to leave a sort of gift for you even if you do not follow them any more- even when you question their existence. You give, they give (most of the time) and help you understand the potential of your own personal power and how you can help or influence others through their myths and personal communications (however that happens for the individual).

Comment

I haven't worked directly with too many deities. But, having been raised a Christian and now practising Celtic Polytheism I am learning a lot from my new gods and they are teaching me a lot about freedom, health, thinking for one's self, etc.. It's a vastly different world than the one I was raised in.
      My Tumblr
      My Webcomic
      My Twitter

Comment

I'd have to say that I have learnt from other deities both directly and indirectly via their followers. This here board is an example of other gods / goddesses speaking and passing on their knowledge, perspective or opinion via the word of their followers. Sometimes the written word so different from a person's norm that it appears as if it where written by another and they only served to be the medium through which it was conveyed.

Granted I may or may not agree with what other's have said but I'd be lying to say that it has not influenced me one way or another. BY that if their words or logic influences me and they are influenced by their gods / goddesses then by default I have been influenced as well.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I dig the wrathful deities of Buddhism. They are not evil, but just kick evil's but.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
            No matter what religion you are, I ask if anyone looked at other religions and learned something from other deities. I aknowledge all of the gods and goddesses and even though I'm into Buddhism and Buddha isn't really a god (Although like a god, he definitely knew abilities and knew things other humans didn't know) I learned other things from Hinduism, Judaism Christianity, Heathen deities and Greek deities. I wonder if any of you honor any other deities aside from your own religion and if you learned anything from them or were enlightened by what they said.
            I also acknowledge all Gods/Goddesses/Deities and various belief systems even if I do not follow them myself. There is a lot that we can learn from the different teachings of different religions. I tend to lean more towards to the Greek than anything else but find value in Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity etc.
            There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
            William Wordsworth

Comment

This is a bit more personal, but I had a major life lesson a little while back involving the Persephone story. I'm very familiar with Greek myth but haven't ever honored any of them. The lesson in question involved approaching 30 and still feeling like I couldn't seem to grow up, feeling trapped, blaming others for my problems. Persephone's transformation from Kore to Queen of the Underworld helped me work thorough a lot of that.
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Two deities that I revere greatly are Buddha and Kuan Yin. I wouldn't consider myself a Buddhist but I have statues of both f them and they really comfort me. When I am in a bad stituation or feeling particularly sad I think of them and I know that things will get better. For a long time I lost interest in meditation but I have gained it back again. I hope to become better at it and learn to release all the negative energy that I experience each day.

Comment

Though I also am not Buddhist,if you look at my Sig graphic you will see Kuan Yin..
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I like deities. But I can't claim to have worked with any of them.
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Though I am Kemetic-ish, I have learned pretty much from Judaism. I didn't look into other religions though...
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

While I am no longer Christian most of my family and friends are and when I ask for support or healing for them I ask my gods for guidance on how to assist them and ask the Holy Spirit to help them directly.

Comment

From Odin, I learned the importance of being noble and brave. From Buddha, I learned to be more friendly and calm. From Jesus (I know I don't worship Yahweh anymore but he very well may exist) I learned to be more forgiving of others and to look at myself before pointing out a flaw in someone else.
                          What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

I was raised Christian and while I don't believe in that God or his son I did learn several things from them. My gods taught me of courage, self-reliance, duty, and honour, but from Christianity I learned forgiveness, to steel myself against indulgence, and that no matter our origins and beliefs we are all equals.

I think there is something to be learned from all paths whether you believe in their ideals and deities or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
                              I don't really honor any other deities besides the ones from the Norse Pantheon but that isn't to say I haven't learned something from other deities. With studying Lucifer (... yes, I'll list him as a deity) I learned that beings with a stigma attached to them aren't as bad as people make them out to be. There's another story waiting to be told and also learned that deities are neither good nor evil, they kind of just are. Working with Odin kind of adds onto that viewpoint with the idea deities might have their own agendas, too.

With Dionysus (in the past--I really needed him), I learned to let go and started to move past some of my issues. The god I work with currently, Loki, teaches me to be honest with myself, know who I am and not to get wrapped up into labels (which is hard.) I also honor Odin, though, and I've been adapting an attitude of trying not to get too worked up about things and being calm. It's also been an attempt to drill it into my head to not stay silent if I really have something to say or something I want to say, both by Loki and Odin.
                              Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

Working...
                              X