Rennaisance Faire!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rennaisance Faire!!!!!

I went to a Ren Faire for the first time over the weekend with my girlfriend! I met more Pagans there than I ever have in my life before, twas pretty cool. Saw jousting, human chess, a fool show, some guy playing with a puppet he named "Basil the British alpaca"... It was awesome, I'd never been to anything like it.

Also some lady selling jewelry and such was playing some band called "Blackmore's Night" on her stereo and now they are STUCK IN MY HEAD.

I can't wait to go to another! I hope to have a better costume next time :P.

So, anyone here go to Ren Faires? Do you like them?
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Re: Rennaisance Faire!!!!!

I'm jealous! I really want to go to one! I like making costumes and historic clothes interest me, and I'd love to make a gown and go. No one else in my life is interested though. There are lots of them here. They have a huge cult following in Europe.

Comment

I'm sorry no one else is willing to go with you, it was a super fun date, but I'm sure you'd have fun exploring one on your own.

I didn't know they were big in Europe, well, okay I've never been to Europe.... But I'd definitely recommend it. I wish I could make myself a tunic, but that's far outside my experience lol, so if you make a gown I will promise to live vicariously through your joy .

Comment

I used to go to them every year, but finances have caused me to miss the last few. It's always a blast.
        Hoping to be able to go next year.
        Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. -The Doctor

Comment

This was my second year going. Me and my friend Sarah went on Steam Punk day. I know many of you would have been JEALOUS! We saw a Dr Who off. It was pretty cool. Plus the food! Omg. I had a rootbeer float. I haven't had that in years! Ages! I loved watching the duels and the giant Jenga games done by the queen's court. My fave part is the joust to the death! Also what's cool is that it's only down the next city from me. Maybe a 15 minute drive.
          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
            This was my second year going. Me and my friend Sarah went on Steam Punk day. I know many of you would have been JEALOUS! We saw a Dr Who off. It was pretty cool. Plus the food! Omg. I had a rootbeer float. I haven't had that in years! Ages! I loved watching the duels and the giant Jenga games done by the queen's court. My fave part is the joust to the death! Also what's cool is that it's only down the next city from me. Maybe a 15 minute drive.
            ...I went on Steampunk day and saw the Doctor Who off as well... 0_0....

Um.

Were you at the the Eminence Kentucky Ren Faire?

Edit: Also known as the "Highland Renaissance Fair".
            Last edited by Malflick; 20 Jun 2013, 12:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
              ...I went on Steampunk day and saw the Doctor Who off as well... 0_0....

Um.

Were you at the the Eminence Kentucky Ren Faire?

Edit: Also known as the "Highland Renaissance Fair".
              Lol. No. I live in Los Angeles County in California. There were two dudes in line dressed like Dr Who. Then the ticket dude is like hey! Let's get a Doctor Who off! Then both of them pulled out their own magic screwdriver and proceeded to zap each other! It was pretty awesome.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                Lol. No. I live in Los Angeles County in California. There were two dudes in line dressed like Dr Who. Then the ticket dude is like hey! Let's get a Doctor Who off! Then both of them pulled out their own magic screwdriver and proceeded to zap each other! It was pretty awesome.
                Ah, well, alas, I thought we might have crossed paths XD.

The kings in the human chess game were both Doctors, so they settled the game with a Doctor Who off between them lol....

I'm glad we had parallel awesome experiences

Comment

I'm sorry no one else is willing to go with you, it was a super fun date, but I'm sure you'd have fun exploring one on your own.

I didn't know they were big in Europe, well, okay I've never been to Europe.... But I'd definitely recommend it. I wish I could make myself a tunic, but that's far outside my experience lol, so if you make a gown I will promise to live vicariously through your joy .
                  Tunic is very simple. All you need is a T-shirt 2 sizes too big. That's your pattern. Fold your fabric in half, trace the shirt, cut both sides together, cut a generous hole for the head to pass through, stitch (or 'tack') the side seams, turn seams to the inside. Presto, instant tunic. Or leave the sides open and wear a belt over it. Make the length as you wish. Easy peasy.
                  I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                  Tribe of my Tribe
                  Clan of my Clan
                  Kin of my Kin
                  Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                  And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                    Tunic is very simple. All you need is a T-shirt 2 sizes too big. That's your pattern. Fold your fabric in half, trace the shirt, cut both sides together, cut a generous hole for the head to pass through, stitch (or 'tack') the side seams, turn seams to the inside. Presto, instant tunic. Or leave the sides open and wear a belt over it. Make the length as you wish. Easy peasy.
                    0_0!!!!!!!!!!! I will have to try this, thank you sir.

Comment

0_0!!!!!!!!!!! I will have to try this, thank you sir.
                      Meh, it's what I do. Pants are easy, too, use a pair of jeans as your pattern, but be generous in your cut, better loose than too tight. Putting in a draw string is easy enough, or just tie on or belt on.

I did a ren fair in Norman, OK for 20 odd years, ('til they priced tent space outta my range); ya pick up a lot of tips along the way... and a lot of nice, sharp pointy things...
                      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                      Tribe of my Tribe
                      Clan of my Clan
                      Kin of my Kin
                      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

There's one around here every year It's sort of a hybrid of a Renaissance/Halloween Fair. Always really fun to go to. Since it's not strictly a Renaissance Fair, you aren't even restricted to historical costumes, so I'm going as a female version of Alex from A Clockwork Orange this time around. It's always so cool because you get this Renaissance flavor, but then there's all of these diverse modern twists going on. How many have you been to?

Comment

Yeah that era of men's clothing is much, much easier than womens, especially if you don't go for the "royalty" look. Womens is tough either way, but that's what I love about it. Sometimes I browse through costume patterns and just look for excuses. I have several Victorian, an 18th century, and a couple of medieval gown patterns. I'd love to do a Renaissance one!

Comment

I didn't get to go to my Renaissance festival this year But plan on going to the next one in February! I love the renaissance fest!

Comment

I went to a Ren Faire for the first time over the weekend with my girlfriend! I met more Pagans there than I ever have in my life before, twas pretty cool. Saw jousting, human chess, a fool show, some guy playing with a puppet he named "Basil the British alpaca"... It was awesome, I'd never been to anything like it.

Also some lady selling jewelry and such was playing some band called "Blackmore's Night" on her stereo and now they are STUCK IN MY HEAD.

I can't wait to go to another! I hope to have a better costume next time :P.

So, anyone here go to Ren Faires? Do you like them?
                              Just "some band" called Blackmore's Night? They're legendary! You seriously have me jealous, as I completely adore their music.

Comment

Working...
                              X