religion in space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

religion in space

This is a branch off the "space exploration thread what are your thoughts?
    Circe

Re: religion in space

Begun when I was serving as the club Chaplain some years back to the USS O'Bannon NCC-5372 club. Still have the materials, but haven't worked on it in a long time. Never (as yet) received any feedback or input from those who have requested copies of it, but (perhaps foolishly) ever hopeful.

The Starfleet Chaplain's Guide to The Spacer's Creed
    [ftp=ftp://www.fairpoint.net/~sirpeterj/Spacer%27s_Creed.pdf]http://www.fairpoint.net/~sirpeterj/Spacer%27s_Creed.pdf[/ftp]

It was being designed to be a workable system, with a partial Sci-Fi basis, and a partial Pagan outlook and viewpoint.
    HEY ADMIN

DELETE THIS ACCOUNT

Comment

I think religion in space will be unnecessary.

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=741.msg11271#msg11271 date=1289341075]
        I think religion in space will be unnecessary.
        [/quote]

That's an interesting take why on earth (or not lol) would you think that?
        Circe

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=741.msg11272#msg11272 date=1289341696]
          That's an interesting take why on earth (or not lol) would you think that?
          [/quote]

Because religion came about as a means to help us poor humans understand the world around us. I think, once humanity is capable of living and functioning in an interplanetary setting, we'll have outgrown our need for religion. Ergo, it won't be necessary.

Mostly art.

Comment

Does that mean you think all relgion is false? And made up by people? Which would mean you don't belive in god/dess?
            Circe

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=741.msg11283#msg11283 date=1289344193]
              Does that mean you think all relgion is false? And made up by people? Which would mean you don't belive in god/dess?
              [/quote]

False? No. Made up by people? Hell yes. And no, I don't believe in a god or goddess. I believe in the gods as things made up by people that should be worshiped solely because they represent certain aspects of nature. Earth's nature.

Mostly art.

Comment

Then what is religeon if its not false made up by people, and their are no god/desss?
                Circe

Comment

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=741.msg11288#msg11288 date=1289344711]
                  Then what is religeon if its not false made up by people, and their are no god/desss?
                  [/quote]

You're getting on my nerves, kid.

Religion is a tool. Religion is a means to an end, and religion is what makes people better people. Religion is how people cope with the unknown, with the afterlife, with the "good" and the "evil" in this world. Religion, in my opinion, is one of the things that makes us human.

But yes. We made it up. Every single religion on this planet was, at the beginning, made up by a person. The gods could be real - and to many millions of people, they are. But you wanted our thoughts, and that is my thought. Any more questions?

Mostly art.

Comment

Seeing as religion is an abstract concept, something that you can't measure by any scientific means... Of course religion is made up by humans.
                    Religion is a set of beliefs or practices that a person applies to their life, or at least relates to; why would that change simply because you were somewhere else? But yeah, I agree that by the time I personally get the opportunity to go into space (presuming I don't die in the space of those several hundred years ) we'll be at a stage of "enlightenment" that doesn't really have the patience for religion any more. Though that's not to say I don't think they'd be falsely denouncing it.

Comment

I was not trying to get on anyones nerves, I was merely curious. Has anypone read the space exploration thread?
                      Circe

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=741.msg11281#msg11281 date=1289344000]
                        Because religion came about as a means to help us poor humans understand the world around us. I think, once humanity is capable of living and functioning in an interplanetary setting, we'll have outgrown our need for religion. Ergo, it won't be necessary.
                        [/quote]

Religion may be unnecessary (a debate I'll leave for another time and different people) but I expect it to survive for quite some time. Several world religions have been ceding (at various speeds) the task of explaining the physical world to scientists and focusing their efforts in other areas of life. Adapting should be especially easy for Taoism and Buddhism who to my knowledge never really got into the lets define the physical universe gig but even the Vatican has largely been pivoting out of science and into other areas.

It's a little old but for an article on the Vatican slowly backing off from scientific areas, this was a quick find and for a more official opinion there is this one. Both focus on evolution but those aren't the only areas the Church keeps abreast of. They may weaken with time but I expect a number of religions to live for quite some time though not necessarily in forms that we're familiar with now.
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=741.msg11281#msg11281 date=1289344000]
                          [/quote]

Unfortunately I have to disagree. I think that humanity should have already outgrown its need for religion yet we still have it. I don't see advances in technology making a difference. I hope I'm wrong actually...
                          The Pagan Porch - a Pagan Homesteading forum

Sand Holler Farm Blog - aren't you just dying to know what I do all day?

Comment

religion is made by people in groups... beliefs come from the heart.

Ask a Rastafarian what religion he follows. Reserve at LEAST 30 minutes to listen to a rant. Okay so i'm generalizing, but at least in the case of the guy I talked to he went on a long rant about how he doesn't have a religion because religion is made by men. he has his beliefs which are what he feels is right.

that aside, Corvus on other planets we should be able to find the same connection we feel like with the earth. each planet still is composed of natural matter. As for space itself, we wont know until someone that is connected to spiritual energies gets up there and can figure it out. if Void is another element, or lack of energy itself. Starlight aside. I know what your little power hungry youthful mind is thinking "BWAHAHA harness a new energy". It could be the lack of the elements because its all condensed into the planets and stars.

Space could be a dead zone, with random energies floating by, or it could be an energy in itself. No way to say at this point in life. But theres always the spirit within you, and if you believe in a creator. then a piece of them is always with you.
                            "Sometimes bad things happen, and theres nothing you can do about it, so why worry?" ~ Timon

Comment

Second verse of the Qur'an:

"Praise be to Allah, Lord of the Worlds"

It's not like god is bound to a certain place or time, so it wouldn't make a difference which planet you are on. The truth is the truth.

Think of it like mathematics. 2+2=4 on earth, do you think on a different planet the answer would be different? I don't think so. At least that's my own point of view. Other people view their religion otherwise.
                              [4:82]

Comment

Working...
                              X