A man worshiping Inanna?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A man worshiping Inanna?

Helloo~! This is my very first post and its something that has been in my mind for a while now. Can a man worship the deity Inanna? And also if he can, how can he do it? I've identified as pagan for only a few years, and I haven't really had a good and stable mentor. My wife worshiped her for quite a while, but when I asked she said that Inanna was mainly a feminine goddess. I was just wondering if anyone on here could help and thank you all for your time if you answer.

Re: A man worshiping Inanna?

A feminine goddess isn't the same as women's only goddess...someone that is a recon with that culture and pantheon might be able to give you more info, but Inanna strictly as a women's goddess is a fairly modern, feminist thealogy idea. Inanna is a goddess of love, sure...but also a deity of war (and fertility). And, if you read the mythology, she loved men....including mortal men.

Of course, the best line of inquiry would be to her, not to us...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shaan View Post
      Helloo~! This is my very first post and its something that has been in my mind for a while now. Can a man worship the deity Inanna? And also if he can, how can he do it? I've identified as pagan for only a few years, and I haven't really had a good and stable mentor. My wife worshiped her for quite a while, but when I asked she said that Inanna was mainly a feminine goddess. I was just wondering if anyone on here could help and thank you all for your time if you answer.
      Myself I'd say yes. I've encountered both males and females that worship her. I think people attempt to make the gods / goddesses into things that their archaic cults never suggest or support. It's like Minerva is strictly a male goddess if you look to the rules and regulations of her Roman cult yet females today do worship her.
      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        Of course, the best line of inquiry would be to her, not to us...
        And this is me just being a rube, but how do I do this? I know really dumb question, but I was never really taught to pray or worship. Do I just talk? Or meditate? is there a special thing you do to help?

Comment

And this is me just being a rube, but how do I do this? I know really dumb question, but I was never really taught to pray or worship. Do I just talk? Or meditate? is there a special thing you do to help?
          All of the above! It really depends on you, and what you feel comfortable with...and with her, and what her preference is. I'd do some basic research, and perhaps have a small ritual, making an offering to her, say a prayer to her, meditate on her, etc. Don't expect an answer right away, but keep at it. Listen, watch, feel...eventually, she'll make her feelings known on the matter, either in an obvious way, or a subtle one. It might be something like suddenly you see her symbol everywhere you go, or even a voice or an image from her. It really just depends. Personally, I don't exclusively worship any deities in precisely this way, but I've observed and discussed with enough other people to tell you that there is a lot of variety.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

Definitely. I know Inanna, although not terribly well. But she's certainly ok with men (ok, I'm actually genderqueer, but my sex is male; I also know of a couple of cisgender men who work with her).

I couldn't add anything to what thalassa said as far as how to contact her except to add that I connected with her through the poems of her priestess Enheduana / Enheduanna / En-hedu-ana (pick your spelling). I can't post links yet, but it should be easy to find them if you websearch "Enheduana poems". They aren't the easiest thing to read, mostly because they're from such a different culture and there are missing sections, but they provide an interesting insight into the character of the goddess.
              OO

Book of Spirals is my author site.
              The Sentient Hillside is my blog.
              Spiral Tree is an ezine for pagans I co-founded.

Comment

Working...
              X