This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pagan Values

Its that time of year! (actually, that time of year is almost over, but I've been busy)

What time of year, you ask?!?

Pagan Values Blogging Month!

Anyhow...

Aside from arguing over whether or not Pagans have universal values (or if they should have universal values) or whether or not you think Pagans even have anything in common anyhow, etc...

What are YOUR Pagan Values---in other words, what values do you have that you feel are informed/shaped by your Paganism?
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Re: Pagan Values

Definitely love. And not the cheesey definition we invented for ourselves which basically means doing good things to make yourself happy (even if it is for others) but rather doing things for others, while setting aside your own happiness. I'm not saying that I'm anywhere near this level, because I have an extremely long way to go. But I think of it as a goal, and I hope that whatever deity I choose (or whichever deity chooses me) will help push me along the path of what real love is.

Comment

the best set of pagan values i can think to use as an example is the nine noble virtues of odinism, and the aesirian code of nine. courage, honour, self reliance, etc. are all things iv'e learned to incorporate into my daily life since i converted to heathenism.

Comment

The things I value now, that I've learned to value through my path and my life: truth, family, and taking care of yourself and yours.

Comment

The Cycle of Life, living by a natural but (somewhat) sophisticated instinct, the beauty and lessons of nature and the wonder of exploring the unknown- from human relations to the mysterious functions of the eternal and mystical. Even if there is no reason for anything, we can still enjoy our time, relationships and our planet because we give it reason to be good through magic and respect for what is ancient but still alive. Paganism is all about feeling good yet being aware (and engaged if absolutely necessary) of the not so good and doing what we can to make the best of a bad situation. I also fully agree with the other posters (I have never read the Heathen codes, but they sound like the code I was brought up with), especially toxicyarnglare:

Originally posted by toxicyarnglare View Post
          Definitely love. And not the cheesey definition we invented for ourselves which basically means doing good things to make yourself happy (even if it is for others) but rather doing things for others, while setting aside your own happiness.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
            What are YOUR Pagan Values---in other words, what values do you have that you feel are informed/shaped by your Paganism?
            Pluralism and relativism are ideals I hold that are pretty strongly shaped by my religion. The notion of multiple paths being mutually true, because truth is something experienced and subjective rather than objective, is something that I find often in many Pagan religions; not necessarily an intrinsic value, but a ubiquitous one. And it is one of the main ones I encountered along my spiritual path.

My politics are also pretty heavily informed by my religion, much as I like secularism in theory. I can't get around the fact that my strong environmentalism and my leanings towards social-anarchism exist in large part because of values I have encountered in Neopaganism, and because of what Neopaganism means to me--free and ethical exercise of personal liberty.

Comment

Post-script:
              Also, some of my more developed ideas about feminism, sexual freedom, and positivity about sex in general are informed by my Paganism. I was never really raised around sex-negative ideas, or any kind of gender-dominance shit. I've always been petty much egalitarian and open-minded when it comes to sex and gender. It's just that being participating in a fertility religion that honours male and female divine energies kinda accelerated and helped form my current views in regards to those subjects.

Comment

Respect to others, and a better view of the world.
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Respect towards animals and plants. If you are going to kill a deer, for example, don't waste any of it, and don't do it if your intuition tells you not to. I also don't kill little insects anymore.

Religious tolerance and mutual respect. Examination of the world and my own beliefs led me to Paganism, so I respect the paths that others choose. I also do not think that anyone is fully right or wrong.

No eternal punishment. I don't feel that religion is "essential to salvation" - I feel that it serves as an enhancement to life via our spiritual connections. My specific views about life after dictate that everyone will always have the opportunity for spiritual growth and to do good.

Then there's my belief that true love is the "perfect feeling," but I had that belief before lol. As an extension of that, I have never held homophobic or sexist beliefs, etc.

Comment

We really can't have universal values because the term "pagan" stretches over literally thousands of separate religions. I value all human life, respect of all things (I mean ALL things) even my enemies, Shinto has really made me even more tolerant (I usually was pretty tolerant before), and it has also taught me rather cheesily that their is love in the world and it does exist, it just needs to be seeked out.

Comment

Working...
                    X