Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finding your path

Good Morning!

I was just wondering...how did you come across and/or start on your particular path or tradition? Something you stumbled upon? Something you had prior knowledge about? How did you know it was for you?
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Re: Finding your path

I tried doing a sort of "Normal" Wiccan path for about 6 months, before I realized it just wouldn't work out. One, because the seasons here in Canada are much different than those labeled as the Sabbats (During Ostara in March, we're basically having our Imbolc.) So, I've had to change the dates into what I now call the "Winter Tradition".

Secondly, I was uncomfortable with the idea of the God dying and being reborn in a year. So, I worked out that divinity experiences time differently from us. A year to us, is 40 years to the divine.

I have always loved angels, and found them to have divine status; so, I incorporated them into my path as well, and I practice angelolatry.

I just kind of worked my path to fit me. I'm not out to covert, so... What makes me happy and enlightened is good

Comment

My path got started quite by accident. Basically, my goddess brought me here. Since then I've strayed on and off, and right now everything's pretty much on hiatus while I take care of mundane problems, but goddess willing I'll come back to Her. ^_^

I knew this path was for me when I could imagine dying a Kemetic and couldn't imagine a more perfect theology or set of deities (for me, personally, of course). I may draw on other traditions to flesh out my practice, but I will always be Kemetic at heart.
      Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

I know I've told this story on here before, but this has come up again so here I go!
        I was raised Christian, and did as I was told in that respect for the first 12 years of my life. I never considered being anything but Christian, but at a hard time in my life I found myself wondering why I had never questioned my religious beliefs or the existence of God. In the same moment that I thought to question it, I realized that the only reason I believed is because I had never thought not to, and I didn't want that to be my reason to feel the way I feel about my faith. From then, I was an atheist for about a year and a half, but I didn't feel comfortable without something in my life. I felt a presence, something calling me, but I didn't know what. It was around that time that an old friend came to town and told me that she had adopted a Pagan religion. I was fascinated. I had always wished I could be Pagan, but I really never considered that it was a possibility. "How can I follow a religion that isn't even... Real?"
        So, I went home and I started to look into it, realizing that there indeed are people who are part of the Pagan community (as many of you lovely folks). Immediately, I felt drawn to Wicca and was taken with the idea right away. As many people feel, I felt I was coming home. With time, I started to incorporate my ancestry into my practice, and here I am!

Comment

For myself, it was just an awakening that I had been on it the whole time, and I had no reason to be upset of regretful of anything I had thought or believed.

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
            Good Morning!

I was just wondering...how did you come across and/or start on your particular path or tradition? Something you stumbled upon? Something you had prior knowledge about? How did you know it was for you?
            I originally stumbled across some Wiccan books, decided they were all fluffy and I was totz not even fluffy, so grew into Paganism (not that all people who are Wiccan have not 'grown'). Kinda identified as pagan, but fell out of practice, recently felt that things were missing, and went searching. Currently I've decided I'm a Eclectic Northern Tradition Hedgewitch :P And that is the first time I've typed that

And no, I still don't know if it's for me.
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Since I discovered paganism I realised I already held a lot of common pagan beliefs (umbrella wise) but never knew about traditions or paths. They all seemed to restrictive. I find myself being pulled more and more towards greek recon though, but I am not sure about any of their practices.
              There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
              William Wordsworth

Comment

My father's mother was Inuit and kept many, many records of every story and tale she had been told about her people, although she was very Christian. I take my information from there and cross reference it with what I can when I can, when I can find other information. But her records of Malina (the sun goddess) in particular struck a chord with me. I know no one in my family views them as anything but nice stories, but to me they were the start of the first real spiritual connection I'd ever had with anything.

Comment

Well while at school I knew that I felt more at ease in nature and spent most of my time around animals. I never really had a "religion" until I was in a women's refuge and I got talking to a girl in there who used to be a practicing Witch until she converted to the Muslim faith. When we were talking she told me she felt I was searching for something and that maybe Wicca would be good for me. She gave me her old books on Wicca but the more I read them a voice in my head told me this was not for me, although I was on the right path.

I became interested in Tarot and oracle cards but never really committed to it. Then when I came over to Finland for the first time, I was laying in bed and someone shouted in my ear, they shouted "HEY" which in Swedish is "hi" i woke up and caught a glimpse of a group of men dressed like warriors is the only way I could describe it, they smiled then vanished.

Then about a month or so ago I had a really vivid dream where I was in the forest, the sun was shining,birds singing, I felt at peace and then I heard a woman's voice call me so I walked further in.There was a beautiful blondish haired woman standing in front of me,she smiled at me and told me I was home now. I was confused to this and asked her what she meant and she just smiled again. I asked her her name and she said Frigg. I started to laugh because my mum used to say that instead of swearing around me.But something inside of me just told me to read up on Norse mythology etc but I had never heard of her or even looked at Norse gods or goddesses.

Now I am here trying to learn about as much as possible because this is the path she told me to take and I trust her to lead me in the right direction xxx
                  http://theheathenstudyclub.proboards.com/

Comment

To put it simply, one does not find it the way one finds an object. It requires study, contemplation, revelation, and feeling. You will find it, though you will not know when. It is more of an epiphany than anything else.

Comment

I desire to find spiritual peace. So, I had to find a religion that would help me to achieve it.
                      I passed over several religions, until I found the Kemetic paganism. It was ideal for me. I looked for data about it, and got certain that it is the ideal religion and path for me.
                      I desire to find more data about Kemetic paganism and learn more about it.
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Why do you think spiritual peace can only be found in religion?

Religion is the shared beliefs and practices of the group.

Spirituality is the personal understanding and relationship an individual has with the universe around them.

Now it works much better when spirituality is part of religion (as opposed to simply going through the motions because that is what is expected by the group) but there is no guarantee that such will be had in religion. Likewise, there is no reason religion is needed to inform one's personal relationship with the universe.
                        "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
                          Why do you think spiritual peace can only be found in religion?

Religion is the shared beliefs and practices of the group.

Spirituality is the personal understanding and relationship an individual has with the universe around them.

Now it works much better when spirituality is part of religion (as opposed to simply going through the motions because that is what is expected by the group) but there is no guarantee that such will be had in religion. Likewise, there is no reason religion is needed to inform one's personal relationship with the universe.
                          To be frank I see religion and spirituality as one and the same. If you are spiritual, then you are religious because you believe in something divine with an accompanying code of ethics.

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
                            To be frank I see religion and spirituality as one and the same. If you are spiritual, then you are religious because you believe in something divine with an accompanying code of ethics.
                            I agree with you. They are one in the same. You either believe or you do not and that can be applied to all belief systems weather it is a structured mainstream religion, or a personal spiritual journey.
                            Last edited by lillywolf; 04 Aug 2013, 23:53. Reason: missed a word
                            http://theheathenstudyclub.proboards.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
                              There are a number of assumptions in your statements. 1) That spirituality must contain a belief in divinity. 2) That one's individual spirituality would somehow fall into line with the beliefs and practices of a given group of people (religion). Neither of these are requirements for spirituality. 3) That belief in the divine leads to a code of ethics. I can't tell you how many self-proclaimed pious church goers I've met that were the nastiest people, devoid of ethics.

I've met plenty of religious people (go to church/temple/ritual, profess a belief in the god of their claimed group) who couldn't answer the simplest questions about their beliefs about the universe, IE. who weren't spiritual. It's nice when religion and spirituality do connect, but there is nothign saying they will.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by lillywolf View Post
                              I agree with you. They are one in the same. You either believe or you do not and that can be applied to all belief systems weather it is a structured mainstream religion, or a personal spiritual journey.
                              So you think those that don't adhere to religious structures can't be spiritual?
                              "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
                              X