Which goddess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which goddess

I think that my spirit guides led me to my deity, but I'm not sure. I was shown into a stone hut with a thatched roof. Inside, the was a very old woman, she gave me a warm herbal tea, we spoke for awhile, then suddenly I was pushed onto a dark path in a forest. Just as suddenly, I was standing on a mountaintop overlooking a beautiful valley. I saw what I think was a dragon, then before me was a lovely woman in a red robe, tied with a golden cord. She had long dark hair with a headdress of entwined snakes. She was also standing in kind of a chariot. When we spoke, she was very kind and loving. I was pulled away before I could find out her name. I have done some research and believe she may be Morrigan. I had never heard of her before. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Should I try to reach her again?

Re: Which goddess

From what I have read Morrigan doesn't have anything like snakes, she is known to be a shape shifter and turns in to many things but mainly a Raven to eat the dead. She is also associated with Banchees from Irland who collect the souls of the dead (some people say she is a Banchee) she is the Goddess of war,death and all those lovely things from what I can remember but it was a long time ago since I read about her so I might have some things wrong.

If I were you I would try and invoke her again and ask her for her name right away before you get pulled away, then you can go from there xxx
    http://theheathenstudyclub.proboards.com/

Comment

Originally posted by lillywolf View Post
      From what I have read Morrigan doesn't have anything like snakes, she is known to be a shape shifter and turns in to many things but mainly a Raven to eat the dead. She is also associated with Banchees from Irland who collect the souls of the dead (some people say she is a Banchee) she is the Goddess of war,death and all those lovely things from what I can remember but it was a long time ago since I read about her so I might have some things wrong.

If I were you I would try and invoke her again and ask her for her name right away before you get pulled away, then you can go from there xxx
      thank you, This part is new to me. I appreciate any help. I will try again, maybe I can find out more.

Comment

Originally posted by rliberty View Post
        I think that my spirit guides led me to my deity, but I'm not sure. I was shown into a stone hut with a thatched roof. Inside, the was a very old woman, she gave me a warm herbal tea, we spoke for awhile, then suddenly I was pushed onto a dark path in a forest. Just as suddenly, I was standing on a mountaintop overlooking a beautiful valley. I saw what I think was a dragon, then before me was a lovely woman in a red robe, tied with a golden cord. She had long dark hair with a headdress of entwined snakes. She was also standing in kind of a chariot. When we spoke, she was very kind and loving. I was pulled away before I could find out her name. I have done some research and believe she may be Morrigan. I had never heard of her before. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Should I try to reach her again?
        I am not certain but it sounds like it may have been the Morrigan or Hecate. However I could be wrong. It might also be Brighid.

Comment

The Morrighan seems unlikely as a goddess for the situation you have described, Snakes are not unheard of for her, (she has shapeshifted into one in at least one story I can think of off the top of my head.)But I would say that for most of the rest of what you described, she is ill fit for a kind and caring guide position.
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I would probably interpret such symbolism (though imperfect) as Ariadne.

(the snakes are sort of the wild card, but...as a Minoan import, not too far fetched)
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
              I am not certain but it sounds like it may have been the Morrigan or Hecate. However I could be wrong. It might also be Brighid.
              Thank you for your suggestions. I appreciate the answers that everyone gave. I will see if my guides will help me re connect with her. Maybe I can find out who she is.

Comment

You have a lot of symbology here that doesn't seem to suggest any particular goddess. That to me seems to suggest or imply that those items have to be evaluated against what they mean to you and not specifically for the goddess or spirit in question. Especially the sequence of appearance that was utilized as that seems to suggest how you are to view them and what the elements indicate for each segment.

A suggestion was made of Hecate / Hekate but I'd strongly discourage that as little of it fits any of her mythology or lore. Consider she is associated with snakes but never as a head dress but as serpents that are entwined about her feet and association with her chthonic earthly connection. I've yet to see her associated in any lore with a chariot or a dragon of any sort. Nor does the notion of a forest, mountaintop or valley fit with her association to liminal places though her later conflating with Artemis does fit with some aspects of the wilderness.

I honestly can't even say your dealing with a deity and not a land spirit or wight. The thatched roofed hut really strikes me as a land spirit or wight more than a goddess when looked at against various lore.

I have to admit though there is something very storybook like in how your writing this and describing it which seems to suggest it's more of a mental stimulus vice a goddess appearing to or before you. I wonder what you had been reading or watching prior to going to bed when this occurred.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  You have a lot of symbology here that doesn't seem to suggest any particular goddess. That to me seems to suggest or imply that those items have to be evaluated against what they mean to you and not specifically for the goddess or spirit in question. Especially the sequence of appearance that was utilized as that seems to suggest how you are to view them and what the elements indicate for each segment.

A suggestion was made of Hecate / Hekate but I'd strongly discourage that as little of it fits any of her mythology or lore. Consider she is associated with snakes but never as a head dress but as serpents that are entwined about her feet and association with her chthonic earthly connection. I've yet to see her associated in any lore with a chariot or a dragon of any sort. Nor does the notion of a forest, mountaintop or valley fit with her association to liminal places though her later conflating with Artemis does fit with some aspects of the wilderness.

I honestly can't even say your dealing with a deity and not a land spirit or wight. The thatched roofed hut really strikes me as a land spirit or wight more than a goddess when looked at against various lore.

I have to admit though there is something very storybook like in how your writing this and describing it which seems to suggest it's more of a mental stimulus vice a goddess appearing to or before you. I wonder what you had been reading or watching prior to going to bed when this occurred.
                  Acutally, the hut is my spirit guide's "home". Any time I visit with her, it starts that way. Only the shift to the mountaintop had to do with whomever I saw. Believe me, it didn't seem storylike when it happened. It was very scary. That is just my writing style. When I write dreams, etc. that's the way I write to recall detail. I thought that providing detail here, it might help someone recognize and help me to figure it out. The headdress was simply 2 entwined snakes worn as a headband. The color red is what threw me. It was so vivid, it didn't fit. As far as reading or watching, unless crime drama counts, I doubt that was have anything to do with it. But I am happy to receive any comments that help to discover whatever she happens to be.

Comment

Acutally, the hut is my spirit guide's "home". Any time I visit with her, it starts that way. Only the shift to the mountaintop had to do with whomever I saw. Believe me, it didn't seem storylike when it happened. It was very scary. That is just my writing style. When I write dreams, etc. that's the way I write to recall detail. I thought that providing detail here, it might help someone recognize and help me to figure it out. The headdress was simply 2 entwined snakes worn as a headband. The color red is what threw me. It was so vivid, it didn't fit. As far as reading or watching, unless crime drama counts, I doubt that was have anything to do with it. But I am happy to receive any comments that help to discover whatever she happens to be.
                    Can't speak for anyone else but that would have been really good info to provide upfront as it changes the whole dynamics of what you wrote. It changes quite a bit from my perspective as it goes from a dream to a potential guided meditation / vision / journey and induced by your "Guide" if it originated at that point. Potentially triggered by the tea as the meditative substance to release your spirit body from its attachment. It does suggest it is not a goddess visitation but something dealing with a journey type situation and the person you encounter potentially another aspect of your "Guide" or even potentially a shadow aspect of self that has to be faced and overcome or understood.

An entwined band of snakes sounds more like a stephanos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stphane (a headband associated with Greek and Roman women and depicted on coins). Depending upon how they were wrapped it could also be an Ouroburos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros which possibly suggest the dragon aspect you mention.

Though I have to admit from the way it reads after your disclosure it sounds more like an aspect of your guide and journey work vice meeting an actual goddess.

Comment

rliberty,

Just curious if you were able to reconnect with the woman in the dream sequence? If you don't want to speak on it please don't feel pressured to do so

Comment

Can't speak for anyone else but that would have been really good info to provide upfront as it changes the whole dynamics of what you wrote. It changes quite a bit from my perspective as it goes from a dream to a potential guided meditation / vision / journey and induced by your "Guide" if it originated at that point. Potentially triggered by the tea as the meditative substance to release your spirit body from its attachment. It does suggest it is not a goddess visitation but something dealing with a journey type situation and the person you encounter potentially another aspect of your "Guide" or even potentially a shadow aspect of self that has to be faced and overcome or understood.

An entwined band of snakes sounds more like a stephanos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stphane (a headband associated with Greek and Roman women and depicted on coins). Depending upon how they were wrapped it could also be an Ouroburos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouroboros which possibly suggest the dragon aspect you mention.

Though I have to admit from the way it reads after your disclosure it sounds more like an aspect of your guide and journey work vice meeting an actual goddess.
                        If that's the case, could it have been Hera or Juno?

Comment

I'm not entirely sure about Hekate not being associated with dragons. I thought I read somewhere that she had a chariot pulled by dragons, but I might be confusing this with something else. Also her being on a mountaintop could be symbolic of Hekate having dominion over earth, sky and sea. But that's just how I'd interpret it, and i'm by no means an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Aestate View Post
                            I'm not entirely sure about Hekate not being associated with dragons. I thought I read somewhere that she had a chariot pulled by dragons, but I might be confusing this with something else. Also her being on a mountaintop could be symbolic of Hekate having dominion over earth, sky and sea. But that's just how I'd interpret it, and i'm by no means an expert.
                            I never saw her as a sky deity. Unless when you say night you mean specifically the night sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Aestate View Post
                              In her Chaldean persona she is occasionally seen with the head of a Dragon but that is not to frequent, the infrequency one reason I say dragons are not often associated with her as the Chaldean persona is not the Pagan persona most often referenced. Dragons pulling a chariot is associated with Medea from what I can recall, though Medea is associated to Hecate in the Argonautica and the story of Jason and the Golden Fleece. I vaguely recall that Kybele / Cybele may occasionally be seen with a dragon pulled chariot though mostly she is associated with Lions which is another crossover that goes with Hecate in her Chaldean persona with her animal heads.

I'd doubt a mountain top being associated with Hecate and her role as an earth goddess. Especially when one considers her cave is a large aspect of her influence in the story of the Rape of Persephone and how she heard her cry out as Hades carries her off. It's also the cave that plays an important part in her being a nursemaid to the infant Zeus and her protecting him. Her equation to Heaven, Earth and Ocean comes from a single Hymm that is not really supported by other archaic writings.

Of course that is my opinion so others may see it differently

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Riothamus12 View Post
                              I never saw her as a sky deity. Unless when you say night you mean specifically the night sky.
                              Her association as a sky deity really takes hold in her Chaldean Persona and association with daemons. It was believed that the daemons and other restless dead inhabited the moon and she would dispatch them to earth for whatever reason she either ascribed to them or was directed to do. That being seen as either to punish or inspire as the case might be seen.

Like her Ocean rule there is not a whole lot of heaven's aspect recorded in archaic Greek text that I have found other than the one Hymm. Being conflated with Artemis and Selene I think is where she gets the dark moon period association that has become part of many practices.

Comment

Working...
                              X