Magnus Opus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnus Opus?

Can someone please explain to me what magnus opus is? I will take all answers in a appreciative manner. Oh, and as much as you know about it. I don't really know what it is,so... I just heard it from somewhere.
    "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Re: Magnus Opus?

Its the greatest or most popular work of an artist.

So some may say that the Mona Lisa is Leonardo Da Vinci's Magnum Opus.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
    Its the greatest or most popular work of an artist.

So some may say that the Mona Lisa is Leonardo Da Vinci's Magnum Opus.
    Oops I completely read the title of this thread as Magnum Opus and not Magnus, my bad.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Here is a little bit of explanation about this.

Quote from the site:
      "I know very little about Latin grammar but from what I am able to gather, magnum is the Latin neuter singular nominative adjective form that means “great” in English, magnus is the Latin masculine singular nominative form for that adjective, and magna is the Latin feminine singular nominative form for that adjective. The Latin noun opus, on the other hand, means “work” in English.

Since opus is neuter in Latin, the correct phrase for a “great work” or “masterwork” in the form of, say, someone’s musical composition, artistic creation, or novel is therefore magnum opus; in the strict literal sense, it should neither be the masculine magnus opus nor the feminine magna opus. In actual usage of the Latinate phrase by some English writers, however, magnum opus and magnus opus would sometimes be used interchangeably. This seems to me an indication that for English writers not knowledgeable of the declensions of Latin forms, the default usage for the adjective in that Latin phrase is the masculine magnus."
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Since SeanRave just posted about it, in this thread, I assume that's what you're referring to. Anunitu is correct in that it means great work and is usually applied to masterpieces in artistry or music. However since I assume you mean in the way SeanRave posted about that doesn't help you much. The reference to the great work of alchemy would suggest it has to do with the formula for the philosopher's stone but I can't be certain. Personally I've never come across the term and I only know what it is based on my limited knowledge of the latin language.
        Circe

Comment

In Alchemy, the "Magnum Opus" also known, as Anunito points out, as the"Great Work," refers specifically to the end stages of making the phylisophical Goldn."
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
          X