X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reading as a hobby

I want to meet people who share my hobbie of reading

Re: reading as a hobby

I share your hobbie of reading. What do you like to read?
    "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

I read constantly! Although not much in the way of novels or anything; not sure if that still counts. Science, history, culture and occult stuff, generally. :3

Comment

It totally counts - any specific history? I'm a major Renaissance, Victorian Era and WWII reader. I used to read any book I could get my grubby pre-teen hands on, but then I discovered the lovely, free joys of fanfiction, and I really enjoy reading that - so much fun seeing how you can tweak a story you already enjoyed once. Most of what I buy to read tends to be either art or occult books, but I like reading about architecture, hiking, the English Royal family(guilty pleasure there), mythology and plays/history and analysis of the theatre.

...I feel like I'm talking(typing?) too much!

Comment

Ancient history is a huge fave of mine in general. I can never get my hands on enough either! I keep getting bogged down with a zillion books or sources I want to read and sort of slowly working at each one here and there as I get time. And since my memory is total crap I end up having to re-read things a lot to make it stick. Irritating at times, but well worth the effort. XD

Comment

Definitely worth it - the only trouble I've ever had reading (and it mostly comes up in non-fiction) is when the book references another work, and I feel I simply have to read that, too, before I can go on. It's taken me upward of a year to read one book after getting lost in the references!

No regrets, though.

Comment

I mostly read biology non-fiction, some history of natural history (there isn't a lot), also a decent amount of religion, history of the American Civil War, etc for non-fiction. I also like fantasy, urban fantasy romance, paranormal romance, historical mysteries (with or without romance), and steampunk novels. REally though, I'll read anything once. Except Twilight, et al. Its on my list of "books that were so :wtf: I couldn't finish them"....the list right now sits about 8 books long and includes War and Peace, The Gulag Archipelago, Game of Thrones (I often dislike shit that other people like), 50 Shades of Grey (and I'm even into that shit), The Catcher in the Rye, The Grapes of Wrath, Twilight, and Hunt for the Red October (good movie though). Occasionally a book lands on the list, and it just takes me a couple tries....like Les Miserables--it took me about 12 tries to finish the damn thing, and The Great Gatsby (it took 4 years to finish, and I'm a 100-120 page an hour reader normally, and I will never, ever read it again).
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                I mostly read biology non-fiction, some history of natural history (there isn't a lot), also a decent amount of religion, history of the American Civil War, etc for non-fiction. I also like fantasy, urban fantasy romance, paranormal romance, historical mysteries (with or without romance), and steampunk novels. REally though, I'll read anything once. Except Twilight, et al. Its on my list of "books that were so :wtf: I couldn't finish them"....the list right now sits about 8 books long and includes War and Peace, The Gulag Archipelago, Game of Thrones (I often dislike shit that other people like), 50 Shades of Grey (and I'm even into that shit), The Catcher in the Rye, The Grapes of Wrath, Twilight, and Hunt for the Red October (good movie though). Occasionally a book lands on the list, and it just takes me a couple tries....like Les Miserables--it took me about 12 tries to finish the damn thing, and The Great Gatsby (it took 4 years to finish, and I'm a 100-120 page an hour reader normally, and I will never, ever read it again).
                You weren't forced through Grapes of Wrath in high school?!!!!!!

How the...........

I'm jealous now. That book was incredibly annoying and now I need more brain bleach for thinking of it, blegh.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  You weren't forced through Grapes of Wrath in high school?!!!!!!

How the...........

I'm jealous now. That book was incredibly annoying and now I need more brain bleach for thinking of it, blegh.
                  Lol, nope. Our HS english classes were set up like college--you could pick what you wanted to take as long as you took the required two composition classes, one oral communication, and one survey of literature (all of which were semester long classes)...after that I took Creative Writing, a poetry (reading and writing combo) class, Science Fiction and Fantasy as Literature, and Mythology as Literature.

TBH, I don't even think the American Lit class read all of GoW, just parts of it---it was taught more like a history class, and instead of the entire book, they read parts of it, so they could pretty much cover everything from Phyllis Wheatley to whatever was current in the 90's.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    I also couldn't finish 50 Shades of Grey. It was AWFUL. I think it only did so well because it was released by a mainstream publisher in a niche that is very under-served.

Comment

Stephen King, Dan Brown, Ray Bradbury, Michael Crichton....lots of older sci-fi stuff. James Patterson for funsies. Native American stuff, and horseracing stuff. A friend from back home just mailed me "The Edinburgh Dead" by Brian Rugley, which she loved. I'll start it soon.

I remember reading Grapes of Wrath in high school. Also Catcher in the Rye, which always bugged me, because the teacher kept talking about how disturbed Holden was, but I thought he was OK. Must be me. Ya think? LOL
                      sigpic
                      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I highly, highly, highly recommend Sara Douglass' Wayfarer Redemption series to all of you. It is very religiously symbolic and has lead me to form a majority of my beliefs. They're wonderful, fantasy books for anyone who likes to think and also be entertained. I know that in some other countries the series is actually broken up into two parts, under different names, so I would Google it first. They are COMPLETELY worth the read. I've read them three times.

Comment

Right now I'm reading Lawrence Miles' marvelous "Faction Paradox" series. Its the kind of wacky, serious, super experimental reading I enjoy.
                          (One book I've read is a novel in the form of an encyclopedia, the other is a novel where every chapter is one minute of time over the course of a few hours in the lives of the characters. Love it)
                          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I enjoy reading a good book. Reading is a very good process.
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I tend to read books about geology, ancient earthen structures or paleolithic structures. History is one of my favorites though lately I tend to be more focused upon Greek and Anatolian history with a spattering of Roman history. I read a lot of occultist / paganish books but I am also very picky and tend to loose interest when the historical aspects seem made up or used to create a time that is not supported by historical evidence. Not to many Wicca based books which makes a lot of the pagan books less attractive so I focus more on Shamanic, Animist or cult and temple histories.

Fantasy wise I've always liked Stephen Donaldson's White Gold welder series, Terry Brooks Shannara series and Magic Kingdom series. Not to popular today but I like Edgar Rice Burroughs stuff, Especially the Martian (John Carter of Mars) and Vensian (Carson of Vensus) as well as Robert E. Howards stuff.

Unfortunately I do not read nearly as much as I used to due to my eyes and glasses. To many years working under long and short wave UV lights is what I'm told.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                              X